DDR ram speed

Old December 2nd 16, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default DDR ram speed

Bill Cunningham on 2016/12/02 wrote:

The two DDrs that are in the machine now was in there when I bought
the computer around 2004. I do have 4 DIMM slots. The manufactureer
is Kingston. The writing is so small and I must be losing my sight or
something. I can't read it and I have no magnifiying glass but I
wrote from the two DDR DIMMs that are in there. They say
PC-3200u-30331-2 IDK if that helps. So you double because it's a DIMM
and not a SIMM.

I can make out 2.6V on the new stick. There are 8 chips soldered into
the circuit board. IDK if that helps.

Unless you are into overclocking (and over cooling to compensate for the
extra heat), you should see what the mobo's manual says for the maximum
speed that it can handle. Getting faster memory modules to run on a
slower bus (the limiting factor) is just a waste of money. The mobo
needs to handle the specified voltage and my guess it will handle 2.6V
but, again, check the mobo's manual. If it's a pre-built, it might be a
customized mobo so you have to get the manual for the pre-built PC to
get specs on the mobo or what memory is allowed in that pre-built.

Piriform has their Speccy tool to give some info on the hardware. If
you cannot read anything on the mobo to tell you brand and model, or if
the pre-built's manual is worthless, Speccy can probably tell you the
brand and model of the mobo. From that you can do an online search for
specs to determine max bus speed for memory.

If both memory modules are marked PC-3200 and both are from the same
maker, and both were installed in a pre-built then likely they both have
the same architecture. You don't have to buy matched pairs or quads of
memory modules but you should by them with matched specs. You might
want to ask the dude who told you they were different speeds as to how
he determined that. Don't take alchemy or magic as an answer. If he
knows, he can tell you how he knows.

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Options on "PC-3200u-30331-2"
for part number did not find anything. I suspect the trailing "-2" just
means the item was a matched pair. I tried variations of the string you
provided but still no hits. When I looked at their desktop memory, they
aren't selling anything under 1GB per stick so that's why I cannot find
their old 512MB sticks.

Not sure why you bought one 1GB memory module when you have two 512MB
modules in the mobo. I doubt you intended to discard the two 512MB
modules and replace them with the one 1GB module. That wouldn't not
increase your memory capacity. So is it the 1GB that you bought (and
for which you should know manufacturer, model number, speed, etc) that
doesn't match the old two 512MB already in the mobo? You never gave the
specs on the 1GB that you bought to add to your PC. You bought it so
you should know what you bought. Maybe you can return it and instead
get two 512MB PC3200 sticks. 512+512+1000 is an unbalanced config.
512x4 is balanced, as would 1000+1000 (discard the old two 512MB modules
to replace with another 1GB you buy to use along with the 1GB you
already bought).
Old December 2nd 16, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Cunningham[_2_]

"VanguardLH" wrote in message

Not sure why you bought one 1GB memory module when you have two 512MB
modules in the mobo. I doubt you intended to discard the two 512MB
modules and replace them with the one 1GB module.

Indeed that's the plan.

That wouldn't not
increase your memory capacity. So is it the 1GB that you bought (and
for which you should know manufacturer, model number, speed, etc) that
doesn't match the old two 512MB already in the mobo? You never gave the
specs on the 1GB that you bought to add to your PC.

I did it's Kingston as for manufacturer. Of the two sticks from factory,
IDK the manufacturer.

You bought it so
you should know what you bought. Maybe you can return it and instead
get two 512MB PC3200 sticks. 512+512+1000 is an unbalanced config.
512x4 is balanced, as would 1000+1000 (discard the old two 512MB modules
to replace with another 1GB you buy to use along with the 1GB you
already bought).

I don't care to increase memory. But get rid of malfunctioning stick(s).

Old December 2nd 16, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Cunningham[_2_]

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
Bill Cunningham on 2016/12/02 wrote:

Speecy says dual 198 Mhz. 3-3-3-8. As far as ram.

Bill

Old December 3rd 16, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Bill Cunningham on 2016/12/02 wrote:

"VanguardLH" wrote ...

Not sure why you bought one 1GB memory module when you have two 512MB
modules in the mobo. I doubt you intended to discard the two 512MB
modules and replace them with the one 1GB module.

Indeed that's the plan.

So is it the 1GB that you bought (and for which you should know
manufacturer, model number, speed, etc) that doesn't match the old
two 512MB already in the mobo? You never gave the specs on the 1GB
that you bought to add to your PC.

I did it's Kingston as for manufacturer. Of the two sticks from
factory, IDK the manufacturer.

Not what you said before.

"The two DDrs that are in the machine now ..."

Those would be the old 512MB modules. That's the topic of that
paragraph.

"... was in there when I bought the computer around 2004. I do have 4
DIMM slots. The manufactureer is Kingston. ..."

So that would be taken as the manufacturer of the old two 512MB modules.

"I wrote from the two DDR DIMMs that are in there. They say
PC-3200u-30331-2"

And those would be for the two old 512MB modules. Never saw mention of
the new 1GB module that you bought. You never brought the new 1GB into
focus in that paragraph.

I don't care to increase memory. But get rid of malfunctioning
stick(s).

So what happens when you remove the old two 512MB modules (both of them)
and slide in the new 1GB in the first slot?
Old December 3rd 16, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Bill Cunningham on 2016/12/02 wrote:

Speecy says dual 198 Mhz. 3-3-3-8. As far as ram.

Under the Summary group - Ram section, it should say:

totalsize dualch DDRnum @ clock (delays)

where totalsize is the total amount of physical system RAM, dualch
is "Dual channel" if the mobo supports it, DDRnum with be "DDR",
"DDR2", or "DDR3", clock is the clock frequency on the mobo sent to
the memory modules, and delays are various settings, like CAS. That
same information is shown under the RAM section, and more. The
Motherboard group will show the current voltage on the memory.

Is that for the two old 512MB memory modules or with those removed and
just the 1GB memory module inserted into the mobo?

While the mobo might be dual-channel capable, you won't get that feature
with just one stick of memory. You need an even number of sticks (i.e.,
dual-channel works with pairs).
Old December 3rd 16, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Cunningham[_2_]

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
Bill Cunningham on 2016/12/02 wrote:

Speecy says dual 198 Mhz. 3-3-3-8. As far as ram.

Under the Summary group - Ram section, it should say:

totalsize dualch DDRnum @ clock (delays)

where totalsize is the total amount of physical system RAM, dualch
is "Dual channel" if the mobo supports it, DDRnum with be "DDR",
"DDR2", or "DDR3", clock is the clock frequency on the mobo sent to
the memory modules, and delays are various settings, like CAS. That
same information is shown under the RAM section, and more. The
Motherboard group will show the current voltage on the memory.

Is that for the two old 512MB memory modules or with those removed and
just the 1GB memory module inserted into the mobo?

With the two 512 M sticks.