What inkjet printer prints the best text?

Old December 15th 07, 11:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
B. Schneier[_2_]

Default What inkjet printer prints the best text?

Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some
color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can
someone recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is
reasonably fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS
Old December 15th 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Jan Alter

HP printers have a good reputation for giving high quality text. Color
printing should be good as well. If ink cost is not the critical factor and
the very best photo printing of that import then you may be very satisfied.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old December 15th 07, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
measekite

For text printing:

HP Deskjets for all around color printing
Some brand of color Laser - HP may not be the best here.  Look at Okidata

B. Schneier wrote: Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can someone recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is reasonably fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS
Old December 15th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware, comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
[email protected]

The Canon iP4500 inkjet printer does a remarkably good job printing
text with its 2nd black pigment cartridge that is committed to that
task alone. It's also pretty fast. Cost is about $120, but additional
ink cartridges are expensive, indeed, and need changing frequently.

But if I did a LOT of text printing with some color illustrations, I
think I'd agree with Measekite and look at the Okidata printers,
especially the 6100n that is now discounted by some sellers to about
$600 (from almost $900). It's built like a tank, won't require
replacing the toner anywhere near as often as an inkjet printer, and
will last years longer than the Canon inkjet that will last 2-4 years,
tops.

Good luck with your choice.

Old December 15th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
kony

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:39:52 GMT, "B. Schneier"
wrote:

Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some
color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can
someone recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is
reasonably fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS

Define reasonably fast. It's fairly inherant in ink jet
tech that if printing decent quality (not quick draft mode)
color brochures or internet "stuff", it'll be slow.

Unless you have a need to print very high quality color
photos, I suggest a median volume / quality / price, color
laser printer. When printing something like a brochure, use
semi-glossy coated paper (for lasers, it need not be an
absorbent coating on the paper like with inkjet paper, and
very high gloss inkjet paper cannot be used but you wouldn't
want to use it as that would be the opposite problem of
uncoated paper, being too glossy in light areas.

Laser picture output quality varies, read a few reviews of
models you might consider.
Old December 15th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
DanG

"B. Schneier" wrote in message
Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some
color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can someone
recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is reasonably
fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS

"Fast" and "quality" do not always quarter in comfort.

Almost any inkjet is capable of excellent quality text with the right paper,
and almost any high-quality printer is capable of producing crappy text with
the wrong paper.

The latest Canon models, IP4500 being the cheapest, have a larger head and
are capable of speed and quality. They will use either dye or pigment black
depending your paper settings. (IP3500 has only pigment black and text
quality will suffer using high-res paper settings). The caveat being that
you need to select appropriate paper, and off-the-shelf 20# paper isn't it.

Old December 15th 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
kony

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:42:07 -0700, "DanG"
wrote:

"B. Schneier" wrote in message
Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some
color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can someone
recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is reasonably
fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS

"Fast" and "quality" do not always quarter in comfort.

Almost any inkjet is capable of excellent quality text with the right paper,
and almost any high-quality printer is capable of producing crappy text with
the wrong paper.

Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
high-volume use paper for inkjet?

One of the benefits of a laser is that just about anything
you shove into it (besides very glossy paper the toner just
won't adhere to before it's fused to the paper, or certain
types of plastics that have a melting point too low... more
of a problem with older lasers that ran at higher fuser
temps than today's color lasers that use toner with more
waxy-whatever lower melting point), prints out sharp as a
tack. Basically it means you can buy bulk copy machine
paper which is far less expensive than many other types.

The latest Canon models, IP4500 being the cheapest, have a larger head and
are capable of speed and quality. They will use either dye or pigment black
depending your paper settings. (IP3500 has only pigment black and text
quality will suffer using high-res paper settings). The caveat being that
you need to select appropriate paper, and off-the-shelf 20# paper isn't it.

The other option is what many people do, use a B&W laser for
text documents and (color) inkjet for pictures.
Old December 16th 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Martha Adams

wrote:

"B. Schneier" wrote in message
[...]

I think Schneier wants what he says he wants, and it could
be productive to review what he says. I noticed this thread
went over pretty quick to laser printers, without recognizing
a key difference from inkjets, that laser printers, even the
most modern ones, use a fuser step in copy printing and this
fuser has to boost power requirements sharply. The inkjet
has no fuser thus runs without that peak power need of the
laser printer's fuser. Until he says something else, as far
as I'm concerned he's asking about inkjets *for this reason*
and so laser printers are probably off his track. Maybe
someone could reply to him, asking, well, *could you use* a
laser printer in your application? And if he responds 'Yes,'
then the thread could go into laser printers. But for now I
see no reason at all to be talking about other than inkjets.

Cheers -- Martha Adams [comp.periphs.printers 2007 Dec 15]

Old December 16th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
measekite

DanG wrote:

[...]

I own both an HP and a Canon.  The HP does a better job of business printing while the Canon prints better photos.  Beaware that many posters to this group will claim they have Canon printer or an Epson printer and some will claim they have an HP printer.  But they do not.  They do not know what kind of printer they really have.

When you unpack a printer of a certain brand it comes with ink carts.  Thats when you have that particular brand.  Many here put who knows what crap in their printer so they no longer have the printer they purchased.

Old December 16th 07, 04:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Taliesyn

wrote:

"B. Schneier" wrote in message

[...]

I find Canon printers give near laser results when used in conjunction
with good quality paper. Not coated paper, just good quality paper.

-Taliesyn