I am so happy, not!!

Old December 29th 03, 01:10 AM
iTsMeMa

Default I am so happy, not!!

Hey gang,

Bought an XP1800 JIUHB stepping week 0332.
Thought this would be a perfect choice for my old KT133A MSI board.I set
this puppy up and it ran great for the better part of two weeks. Since the
default multiplier is 11.5 , I decided to do the pin mod thingy to default
to an XP2100.
Well, I was happier than a kid in a candy store when the system booted and
my bios recognized it as an XP2100.
Many thanks to all in here who have offered a variety of links and tidbits
of info on how to.
Huge sucky bit, the proc died.
NEVER to boot again.
I am back using my 1.4 T-Bird again.
Any one else have their processor die a sudden, tragic death?

Regards,

Garry

Old December 29th 03, 07:38 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:10:48 +0000, iTsMeMa wrote:

Hey gang,

Bought an XP1800 JIUHB stepping week 0332. Thought this would be a
perfect choice for my old KT133A MSI board.I set this puppy up and it
ran great for the better part of two weeks. Since the default
multiplier is 11.5 , I decided to do the pin mod thingy to default to an
XP2100.
Well, I was happier than a kid in a candy store when the system booted
and my bios recognized it as an XP2100.
Many thanks to all in here who have offered a variety of links and
tidbits of info on how to.
Huge sucky bit, the proc died.
NEVER to boot again.

I'm not saying this was your case, but I'd like to point out to others
that may be considering the pinmod, that it needs to be done right.
Putting a piece of wire between 2 pins on the MB can cause the cpu to cock
in the socket if no measures are taken to make sure this doesn't happen.
The biggest problem I can see is someone using wire to large thus making
this even worse. If in doubt, use something to make a channel in the
socket between the 2 pins for the wire to fit down in. This will ensure
proper cooler contact with the core. Otherwise, you may overheat the cpu
from poor contact of the cooler if the cpu is cocked.

I'm sure most people here would know this probelm, but I thought it should
be pointed out for those who may not know.

Old December 29th 03, 11:42 AM
iTsMeMa

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
[...]

Great thought, thanks Wes.
I did use fine wire 4 mil in length, the proc fit well, it actually ran.
Next go round I intend to use a conductive paint on the back of the mobo.
Its an exxtra five minutes to pull and probably twenty more for dry time,
but sure gotta be easier on my tired old eyes.
The damn wire mod was giving me fits.
Fine work in close quarters.

Regards,

GArry