A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton?

Old April 1st 18, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
x13
external usenet poster

Default Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton?

Paul: WOW !!

I thought somebody might reply, but you gave me a whole moderlode of info!
Thanks a lot!!

I sort of knew splitting a dual-link DVI into 2x HDMI's probably wouldn't work as they are different technologies and therefore use different signals/resolutions, but it was a nice idea...

I'll be honest: I completely forgot about the "multi-display adapter" Kensington sells. I wonder if anyone (you perhaps?) have experience with these adapters?

I like the fact that it's USB3 (it would have to be to avoid video lag). So all I would have to do is get that adapter, and convert the HDMI to DVI with a simple adapter and I'd be in business, right?

Although... I'd like to be reassured by the feedback of someone who has actually done this.

Thanks.
x13
(please reply in thread)

--------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
-= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Old April 1st 18, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Adrian Caspersz
external usenet poster

Default Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton?

On 01/04/18 00:25, x13 wrote:
Paul: WOW !!

I thought somebody might reply, but you gave me a whole moderlode of info!
Thanks a lot!!

I sort of knew splitting a dual-link DVI into 2x HDMI's probably wouldn't work as they are different technologies and therefore use different signals/resolutions, but it was a nice idea...

I'll be honest: I completely forgot about the "multi-display adapter" Kensington sells. I wonder if anyone (you perhaps?) have experience with these adapters?

I like the fact that it's USB3 (it would have to be to avoid video lag). So all I would have to do is get that adapter, and convert the HDMI to DVI with a simple adapter and I'd be in business, right?

Although... I'd like to be reassured by the feedback of someone who has actually done this.

I've used the Kensington kit on a Core i5 based HP laptop via the USB3 port.

Worked fine on Windows 7, even with video playback. Of course, it's not
going to be a great experience for something like gaming, but in office
use situations (or code development) it's a fairly good solution.

--
Adrian C