Lost Hard Drive

Old December 15th 15, 10:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Lost Hard Drive

I have a SATA hard drive I use for storing backup data. I am in W7
Home Premium. Suddenly the drive is not recognized, either by my MSI
BIOS or by Windows Explorer.

Is it lost forever? Or is there another way I can try to make it
recognizable (and readable)? Probaby not.
Thanks
JW

Old December 15th 15, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
I have a SATA hard drive I use for storing backup data. I am in W7
Home Premium. Suddenly the drive is not recognized, either by my MSI
BIOS or by Windows Explorer.

Is it lost forever? Or is there another way I can try to make it
recognizable (and readable)? Probaby not.
Thanks
JW

There is one glaring design problem with SATA, and
this is from observation here, rather than documented
in a manual.

The drive is not guaranteed to be reset, when the
motherboard receives the reset signal. If the
drive "goes crazy" and the processor
on the hard drive circuit board is not
running, there is nothing to reset it.

Power cycling is the solution for that.
Power off the PC and power on again, and
check to see if the MSI BIOS can see it.

The root cause of my drive going crazy, was
the voltage on the power cable was a little
on the low side. Which would cause it to
drop out occasionally. Correcting the
SATA power wiring, and putting the drive
on a different power lead, fixed that one
for me.

*******

You can also feel the surface of the drive,
or listen for spinup sounds, attempts to
load the heads onto the platter and so on.

Googling the model number of the drive, may
indicate whether the design has a defect or
not. For example, there was one drive, where
an internal data structure would become
corrupted, causing an instant loss of response
from the drive. Using the drive model number,
you can check into the possibility you've fallen
into the same trap as other owners of the product.

Paul
Old December 15th 15, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 06:50:09 -0500, Paul wrote:

wrote:
I have a SATA hard drive I use for storing backup data. I am in W7
Home Premium. Suddenly the drive is not recognized, either by my MSI
BIOS or by Windows Explorer.

Is it lost forever? Or is there another way I can try to make it
recognizable (and readable)? Probaby not.
Thanks
JW

There is one glaring design problem with SATA, and
this is from observation here, rather than documented
in a manual.

The drive is not guaranteed to be reset, when the
motherboard receives the reset signal. If the
drive "goes crazy" and the processor
on the hard drive circuit board is not
running, there is nothing to reset it.

Power cycling is the solution for that.
Power off the PC and power on again, and
check to see if the MSI BIOS can see it.

I did that first thing. My MSI BIOS does not recognize it either.

The root cause of my drive going crazy, was
the voltage on the power cable was a little
on the low side. Which would cause it to
drop out occasionally. Correcting the
SATA power wiring, and putting the drive
on a different power lead, fixed that one
for me.

*******

You can also feel the surface of the drive,
or listen for spinup sounds, attempts to
load the heads onto the platter and so on.

I can feel vibrations in the drive, so I presume it is spinning etc.

Googling the model number of the drive, may
indicate whether the design has a defect or
not. For example, there was one drive, where
an internal data structure would become
corrupted, causing an instant loss of response
from the drive. Using the drive model number,
you can check into the possibility you've fallen
into the same trap as other owners of the product.

I can do that

Thanks

JW

Paul

Old December 16th 15, 12:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Kenny Cargill

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
Boot from this, there are a number of disk tools on it, might help.

Kenny Cargill

Old December 16th 15, 12:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Kenny Cargill

Have also seen HDD Regenerator restore an apparently failed HDD, it's a
commercial program but if you know where to look!

Kenny

wrote:
[...]

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Old December 16th 15, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Kenny Cargill wrote:
Have also seen HDD Regenerator restore an apparently failed HDD, it's a
commercial program but if you know where to look!

Kenny

It's not detected at BIOS level.
The BIOS cannot fetch the ID string from the drive.

When a drive will not return the ID string to you,
it means the service area of the platter is not loading
into the controller board. The controller board
"bootstraps" itself, by using basic firmware on
the controller board, to load the heads onto the
disk, then it loads the majority of the firmware
(interpreter) from the service area. If the drive
is not returning the ID string, that process could
be failing.

I consider this a bad design idea. Hardware devices
where you paid good money to put base firmware in them,
should be able to communicate at all times, and
return an error code like "cannot load SA" or "cannot
get spindle motor to 7200 RPM" or "heads jammed on ramp".
That sort of thing. Instead, a large number of
fault cases are lumped under "no ID string, dead
in the water". We don't know what happened.
A drive that won't communicate, is pretty hard
to "fix".

Paul
Old December 18th 15, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 12:33:14 -0000, "Kenny Cargill"
wrote:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
Boot from this, there are a number of disk tools on it, might help.

Kenny Cargill

I will thanks
JW