scanner ?

Old December 7th 15, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default scanner ?

After many years of good service my Epson 4490 PHOTO scanner died.

Flatbed portion still works but the film/slide capability is gone.

Either during preview or the scan itself...partway through...it just
stops and locks up.

My main machine for scanning is running Win7_64 bit but also tried an XP
machine and a Macbook running OS 10.7 with the same results.

Ordered a replacement scanner today ( v600)so my question is simply one
of curiosity:

The scanner works fine on my Linux machine and I'm wondering why.

The drivers do not come from Epson so there is quite a bit of difference
in what's going on.

The reason I do not use Linux for this device is simply because with the
Epson drivers, each individual frame is saved as a separate jpg.

On Linux, the whole sheet of negatives or slides are saved as one file.

To get the high resolution I need, the file size is so large that any
editing software I use simply balks. It took me way too long to do the
crops.