Ordering an Optiplex 380 Mini Tower

Old April 10th 11, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

Default Ordering an Optiplex 380 Mini Tower

Hi, I'll be ordering an Optiplex 380 and dell's customization process
made me wonder about a few of the options. I'll be using the machine
for internet, internet video, dvd watching, cd, mp3, skype. Maybe
transcode and burn a video a couple times a month. It doesn't matter
if that takes 30 minutes more!

1. CPU

I see E7500, E7600 +$44, E8400 +$114. Is the E7500 fine for the things
described above?

2. PSU

Is the 'Up to 88 Percent Efficient PSU [add $20.00]' worth it? If I
add power consuming peripherals in the future, will the Efficient PSU
handle them ok like the Standard PSUs in my previous DELLs?

3. RAM

Will 4 GB DDR3 1 DIMM be ok? I've selected 'Windows Home 32-bit.'

4. Video Card

I selected the DVI Adapter Card (+$10). Is it better than the
integrated Intel GMA 4500 VGA as i think? I don't think a need an ATI/
nVIDIA card ($64 over the DVI Card) for the things I do?

5. Speakers

Is the AX210 1.2W USB enough to listen to mp3s? The AX510 Sound Bar is
+$10. I have an AX210 set now and they are fine.

Other options: I selected the E2311H 23in monitor ($90 over the 19in),
the 320 GB SATA HD ($8 over the 250 GB), 16x DVD+/-RW ($10 over the
16x DVD-ROM). I can't imagine ordering the monitor alone will be
cheaper? I also selected Windows Recovery Media (+$3), PowerDVD/Roxio
Media (+$3), Resourse DVD (+$3) discs. But is the Windows Recovery
disc a Windows disc? My friend ordered a 17r laptop in January and
didn't receive a Windows disc but burned himself a Recovery disc. If
you don't get a Windows disc why spend $3 for what you can burn
yourself for 20 cents? Same for the 2 others. Can you burn the apps
alone or you can burn them only as part of the Recovery disc?

I don't see a NIC mentioned. It must be standard now-days?

Thank you for any help. It's been a very long time since I ordered a
PC.

Jim
Old April 10th 11, 05:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Apr 9, 9:15*pm, "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)"
wrote:
[...]

What you selected is fine for what you're doing...Windows 7 32bit can
only utilize 3Gb's of ram. I have the monitor you selected...LED
backlit and I like it. For $20 I would go for the better PSU.
I got the DVD media (W7 and Drivers) when I order thu SB last month
(nothing extra).
Old April 11th 11, 04:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

What you selected is fine for what you're doing...Windows 7 32bit can
only utilize 3Gb's of ram. I have the monitor you selected...LED
backlit and I like it. For $20 I would go for the better PSU.
I got the DVD media (W7 and Drivers) when I order thu SB last month
(nothing extra).

Yes, I'll order through SB. The 17r was ordered through Home.

Is the '88 Percent Efficient PSU' really better or is it just a less
powerful model? I can't find any specifications. If it's better I'll
get it.

What speakers do you have? Do you have the Sound Bar?

Thanks,

Jim
Old April 11th 11, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

4. Video Card

I selected the DVI Adapter Card (+$10). Is it better than the
integrated Intel GMA 4500 VGA as i think? I don't think a need an ATI/
nVIDIA card ($64 over the DVI Card) for the things I do?

Any idea if the DVI card provides a better image? From what I
understand the DVI card uses the Integrated Graphics system but gives
you a DVI port to connect your monitor (E2311H 23in here)?

Thank,

Jim
Old April 11th 11, 05:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

Is the '88 Percent Efficient PSU' really better or is it just a less
powerful model? I can't find any specifications. If it's better I'll
get it.

I found the following table when googling dell "88 Percent Efficient
PSU":

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...7-opti-psu.jpg

link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...ml#post1327594

I don't know how correct this is, but it seems the Standard PSU is
305W and the Efficient is 255W. Does that change the power of
peripherals the PSU can handle? I see the DC specs are the same
though. Any idea if the current supplied by the PSU to the computer is
described in the DC specs?

Thanks,

Jim
Old April 11th 11, 11:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Apr 10, 10:30*pm, "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)"
wrote:
4. Video Card

I selected the DVI Adapter Card (+$10). Is it better than the
integrated Intel GMA 4500 VGA as i think? I don't think a need an ATI/
nVIDIA card ($64 over the DVI Card) for the things I do?

Any idea if the DVI card provides a better image? From what I
understand the DVI card uses the Integrated Graphics system but gives
you a DVI port to connect your monitor (E2311H 23in here)?

Thank,

Jim

If this DVI card has no memory in it (haven't heard of that) then
stick with integrated. My monitor looks the same connected DVI or VGA
(clarity wise). I put a 512Mb ATI card in mine recently.
Sounds like you can stick with the "less green" PSU. (higher
wattage). Dell's PSU are suppose to be better than most vendors.
Best of Luck!
Old April 11th 11, 11:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Apr 10, 10:05*pm, "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)"
wrote:
What you selected is fine for what you're doing...Windows 7 32bit can
only utilize 3Gb's of ram. I have the monitor you selected...LED
backlit and I like it. For $20 I would go for the better PSU.
I got the DVD media (W7 and Drivers) when I order thu SB last month
(nothing extra).

Yes, I'll order through SB. The 17r was ordered through Home.

Is the '88 Percent Efficient PSU' really better or is it just a less
powerful model? I can't find any specifications. If it's better I'll
get it.

What speakers do you have? Do you have the Sound Bar?

Thanks,

Jim

I use cheap old speakers.
Old April 11th 11, 04:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 4/9/2011 10:15 PM, jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked) wrote:
[...]

what is the overall price of the configuration that you have found?
I think the vostro 460 is a much better value and it is significantly
faster given the newer generation of processors that it uses. and these
newer processors have much better integrated video as well.
yes, even with the 32 bit os you should get 4gb of ram. there is a
limit of about 4gb that windows 32bit can address, and from this total
some things are deducted (such as the video ram space) so windows may
not have the full 4gb available for use by applications, but it will
likely have over 3gb, just not the full 4gb. and the way dell sells
memory options is such that if you got some odd number amount of memory,
say 3gb, then they you install three 1gb modules which means that it
will not be working in dual channel mode which means a slight
performance hit. so either just get 2gb and upgrade yourself with
another 2gb later (probably for much less than dell wants), or go with 4gb.
vostro 460 i5-2400 (3.1ghz quad core), Win7 Pro 32, 4gb, 500gb, hd 2000
integrated graphics, dvdrw, 23" e2311h, keyboard, mouse, 15mo TrendMicro
$769.
Start he
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto..._id=vostro-460
a similar config for the optiplex 380 with a e7500 (smaller 320gb hard
disk, single 4gb ram module, windows 7 home not pro, 1mo trend, slower
integrated video) is about $600. a perfectly good machine but already
slow by today's standard and the unfortunately small disk making it
undesirable for most home uses (particularly since you mention dvd
editing). i5-2400 passmark is about 6113, and the e7500 passmark is
about 2013 - a significant performance difference without even
considering the better integrated video quality.
yes, both of thee machine have integrated nics.

Old April 11th 11, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

I selected the DVI Adapter Card (+$10). Is it better than the
integrated Intel GMA 4500 VGA as i think? I don't think a need an ATI/
nVIDIA card ($64 over the DVI Card) for the things I do?

Any idea if the DVI card provides a better image? From what I
understand the DVI card uses the Integrated Graphics system but gives
you a DVI port to connect your monitor (E2311H 23in here)?

If this DVI card has no memory in it (haven't heard of that) then
stick with integrated. My monitor looks the same connected DVI or VGA
(clarity wise). I put a 512Mb ATI card in mine recently.
Sounds like you can stick with the "less green" PSU. (higher
wattage). *Dell's PSU are suppose to be better than most vendors.
Best of Luck!

I'm not sure but I assume if it had memory, it'd be mentioned. The
customize tool says:

DVI (Digital) Adapter Card, Full Height [add $10.00]

it seems like the difference is the dvi output instead of the vga. But
since those look the same, no need to bother.

Thanks,

Jim
Old April 11th 11, 07:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Apr 11, 12:04*am, "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)"
wrote:
Is the '88 Percent Efficient PSU' really better or is it just a less
powerful model? I can't find any specifications. If it's better I'll
get it.

I found the following table when googling dell "88 Percent Efficient
PSU":

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachmen...7279d130188373...

link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...nitor-card-rec...

I don't know how correct this is, but it seems the Standard PSU is
305W and the Efficient is 255W. Does that change the power of
peripherals the PSU can handle? I see the DC specs are the same
though. Any idea if the current supplied by the PSU to the computer is
described in the DC specs?

Thanks,

Jim

Okay, so the Standard PSU is rated at 305w, so it can handle an
aggregate wattage of devices UP TO 305 watts total current draw. The
Efficient PSU is rated at 255w, so it can't handle quite as many
devices. What is it about the "Efficient" PSU that makes it
efficient, except for the name? It sure would be nice if Dell told us
more about this PSU, but that is wishful thinking. I am inclined to
think that "Efficient" is mostly a marketing buzz word, and I am being
too kind in characterizing it as such. Odds are it is simply a
cheaper and less capable PSU.

Every power supply has some level of power loss in converting 110v AC
to 5v, 12v, 3.3v and whatever other DC voltages are required. The
power loss manifests itself mostly as heat from the PSU.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to calculate or measure how many
watts a system consumes. So suffice it to say that the Efficient PSU
may limit how much can be added onto a system in the form of added
memory, another hard drive or optical drive, an add-in card, or even a
faster CPU... Ben Myers