Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Old September 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
William Sommerwerck

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

I don't really think that convergence has been much of an
issue since slotmasks became the norm many years ago,
as these are inherently self converging.

LOL! I am holding a service manual for a Sony slot-mask
Trinitron monitor featuring 3 pages of instructions on how
to accomplish what you call "self-convergence".

There is nothing inherently "self-converging" about slot-mask CRTs.

The original "delta" gun pattern required a fairly elaborate convergence
process. In the early '60s, GE introduced an "in-line" gun arrangement (the
first of its kind, AFAIK) that had less lateral misconvergence than the
delta design, and thus a simpler setup.

Sometime in the '70s, I think (CMIIW), the precision in-line (PIL) system
was introduced. The deflection yokes were deliberately miswound (using a
plastic former with ribbing that precisely positioned the wires) to distort
the deflection and thus produce correct convergence with minimal
adjustments.

I'm typing this missive at ViewSonic PerfectFlat A95f monitor that has
perfect (and I mean perfect) purity and convergence right to the very
corners. The tube is a Diamondtron, Mitsubishi's version of a Trinitron.

Old September 1st 07, 07:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Scott Dorsey

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'm typing this missive at ViewSonic PerfectFlat A95f monitor that has
perfect (and I mean perfect) purity and convergence right to the very
corners. The tube is a Diamondtron, Mitsubishi's version of a Trinitron.

If you keep the monitor for a few years, you'll need to readjust it in
order to keep it that way.

Life's like that. Entropy happens, and so you need to do preventative
maintenance.

People today forget about doing maintenance, and then they complain when
stuff stops working right.
--scott

Old September 1st 07, 08:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
William Sommerwerck

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'm typing this missive at ViewSonic PerfectFlat A95f monitor that has
perfect (and I mean perfect) purity and convergence right to the very
corners. The tube is a Diamondtron, Mitsubishi's version of a Trinitron.

If you keep the monitor for a few years, you'll need to readjust it in
order to keep it that way.

The monitor is almost 6 years old, and is holding up well. It has not
deteriorated in any way I'm aware of.

Old September 2nd 07, 06:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Richard Crowley[_2_]

"William Sommerwerck" wrote ...
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'm typing this missive at ViewSonic PerfectFlat A95f monitor that
has
perfect (and I mean perfect) purity and convergence right to the
very
corners. The tube is a Diamondtron, Mitsubishi's version of a
Trinitron.

If you keep the monitor for a few years, you'll need to readjust it
in
order to keep it that way.

The monitor is almost 6 years old, and is holding up well. It has not
deteriorated in any way I'm aware of.

Of course it is possible that our eyesight is deteriorating at
approx. the same rate and degree as the monitor. :-)

Old September 2nd 07, 05:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote ...
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'm typing this missive at ViewSonic PerfectFlat A95f monitor that has
perfect (and I mean perfect) purity and convergence right to the very
corners. The tube is a Diamondtron, Mitsubishi's version of a
Trinitron.

If you keep the monitor for a few years, you'll need to readjust it in
order to keep it that way.

The monitor is almost 6 years old, and is holding up well. It has not
deteriorated in any way I'm aware of.

Of course it is possible that our eyesight is deteriorating at
approx. the same rate and degree as the monitor. :-)

Of course it is far more likely that the deterioration is accomodated by our
perception over time and is not noticed. Every phosphor based display
deteriorates from the day it it put into use. If the user compared that 6
year old monitor to a new one he would likely be surprised at the
difference. The phosphors and the guns have deteriorated over that time,
though convergence and geometry are little effected, intensity and to some
degree focus certainly are.

Leonard

Old September 2nd 07, 06:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Scott Dorsey

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

Of course it is far more likely that the deterioration is accomodated by our
perception over time and is not noticed. Every phosphor based display
deteriorates from the day it it put into use. If the user compared that 6
year old monitor to a new one he would likely be surprised at the
difference. The phosphors and the guns have deteriorated over that time,
though convergence and geometry are little effected, intensity and to some
degree focus certainly are.

Convergence drifts a little... less than it used to, but some. Focus and
intensity change. After six years it's time to pop the case and touch things
up a little... may even be time for the dreaded CRT Rejuvinator to clean the
cathode up.

But these days, by the time six years is up, folks are buying a new display
anyway...
--scott
Old September 2nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
William Sommerwerck

But these days, by the time six years is up, folks are buying
a new display anyway...

This ViewSonic is the best I've ever owned, beating even the Sonys. I don't
have the money for a new monitor at the moment. I'll purchase an LCD when I
get a new computer in a year or two.

Old September 3rd 07, 03:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Doc[_2_]

On Aug 14, 7:54 pm, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

I don't like the way LCD/flat panel monitors look. The image isn't as
sharp

I'd have to disagree on this, if there is anything that is a
clear win for LCD, it is image sharpness... it doesn't get
any sharper than having individual pixel representation.
This can be offset in perception if the particular LCD has
poor contrast but it is still just as "sharp", though not as
vibrant.

I wonder if Doc is running his LCD at a non-native resolution...

Don't have one, just going by what I've seen on display at various
places. I have a 17" CRT monitor that I really like.

Old September 3rd 07, 01:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Scott Dorsey

Doc wrote:

Don't have one, just going by what I've seen on display at various
places. I have a 17" CRT monitor that I really like.

Don't go by what you see in the stores. The store demos of video monitors
are as poorly set-up as the store demos of microphones and TV sets.
--scott