Why Pentium?

Old July 3rd 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Talal Itani

Default Why Pentium?

Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

Old July 3rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
badgolferman

Talal Itani, 7/3/2006, 10:45:00 AM, M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04
wrote:

Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the
case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon
based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons of a
product before they make their purchases. Thank you for clarifying
this for me.

T.I.

I believe most businesses purchase computers in lots. They buy the
exact same computer and configure it the same way. In order to buy
these kind of quantities they purchase their computers from computer
companies such as Dell or HP. Until these manufacturers drop the Intel
chips and move over to AMD-based computers you will continue to see
most large companies staying with Intel. It is really more of an
economic consideration than technical one for the buyer.

--
"Laws are like sausages. It is better not to see them being made." ~
Otto von Bismarck
Old July 3rd 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Dave

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

Most businesses buy the cheapest workstations they can from Dell, and Dell
usually uses Intel processors. In other words, the businesses aren't
choosing the processor.

BUT, last I checked, Intel processors were actually cheaper. That happened
because AMD has been kicking Intel's ass for years, performance wise, so AMD
chips are in great demand. Plus, AMD has not ramped up production capacity
to match Intel, yet. -Dave

Old July 3rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mark Mandell

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

I own two PC's I put together myself, one with the Athlon 2600+, the other
with the Intel Pentium D dual core. The latter actually runs a bit
faster(even though both PC's have the WD SATA Raptor drives running at
10,000 RPM). But it also runs at a higher temp and after nine months was
beginning to overheat a bit. So I applied some thermal compound the other
day which has corrected the problem.

Old July 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Conor

In article M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04, Talal Itani says...
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Athlon for Gaming, Pentium for Media Encoding/image manipulation.

Why do they use Pentiums? Because the mass manufacturer they buy from,
i.e Dell, have a tie in with Intel so they get better prices.

And for desktops, most businesses never bother researching anything
other than the price.

--
Conor
Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

Cashback on online purchases:
http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm
Old July 3rd 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Conor

In article . net, Mark
Mandell says...

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

I own two PC's I put together myself, one with the Athlon 2600+, the other
with the Intel Pentium D dual core. The latter actually runs a bit
faster

No, really? I wouldn't ever have guessed a processor, a generation
newer than the other, with dual cores and twice the L2 cache of the
other would run faster.

Old July 3rd 06, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Travis

Intel has cheaper and more low-end hardware than AMD. But it does have the
more powerful processors.

A Celeron is cheap, but it's not the best (I haven't had many problems with
it)

Old July 3rd 06, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Bazzer Smith

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central heating
system.

T.I.

Old July 3rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gojira

Intel is far from cheaper,if you go by CPU's that are comparable in
speed.Performance and cost are the main reason AMD has become a serious
competitor for Intel.Until they appeared,Intel pretty much had the market to
themselves,so businesses got used to using their products.

Old July 3rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Don Burnette

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the
case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based
PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons of a product
before they make their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
heating
system.

T.I.

Hmm, running Athlon XP64 4400+ dual core here, did not have to bother
installing a central heating system, runs great and cool!

Go figure,

Don