Sleeping Computer vs. Shutdown ?

Old November 18th 15, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Sleeping Computer vs. Shutdown ?

Powering up after shutdown, poses some problems restablishing an
Internet connection. These are not encountered when activating a
computer that's been "put to sleep". This last seems to involve, no
activity of the hard drive, but response to a key press, so
something's still active. I want to minimize wear 'n tear of the
system, but only putting to sleep seems to have advantages. Thoughts &
comments most welcome & thanks.
Old November 22nd 15, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 11/21/2015 11:34 AM, MikeS wrote:

I have been using the hibernate feature on my desktop and it has worked
out well.

The machine is on a UPS however because a power drop out would negate the
state of hibernation.

Are you sure about power drop outs? I have a laptop which I hibernate
routinely and frequently swop batteries between standard and double size.
The only effect of battery removal on hibernation is that I have to use the
power button to wake it up instead of just opening the lid as usual.

Possible I might have been thinking "suspend"

anyway no harm on having it all on a UPS
Old November 25th 15, 07:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , philo
said:

On 11/21/2015 11:34 AM, MikeS wrote:

I have been using the hibernate feature on my desktop and it has worked
out well.

The machine is on a UPS however because a power drop out would negate the
state of hibernation.

Are you sure about power drop outs? I have a laptop which I hibernate
routinely and frequently swop batteries between standard and double size.
The only effect of battery removal on hibernation is that I have to use the
power button to wake it up instead of just opening the lid as usual.

Possible I might have been thinking "suspend"

anyway no harm on having it all on a UPS

There's also hybrid sleep, which both writes hibernation data AND leaves
the system in standby, giving you a best-of-both-worlds, in that your
system is left in standby for a nearly-instant restart, while also
writing all of the needed state to disk so that if power is lost, you
can recover.

--
Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts
-- Jeff Foxworthy