Does anyone know anything about routers?

Old July 28th 09, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
greysky[_2_]

Default Does anyone know anything about routers?

While this doesn't have anything specifically to do with ASUS motherboards,
I hope someone can help me out. I recently bought a Netgear rangemax dual
band wireless N DSL modem / router (DGND3300). It works very well as far as
I can tell - the thing seems fast: I download files with a speed of 160
kB/sec, which is well within the speed range of my DSL subscription. Now, my
buddy says this is not a very good unit because it isn't a 'gigabit' router.
He says a router that says 'gigabit' will run faster because it has a better
kind of technology in it. If I got one of these gigabit routers would it
really increase my speed, or what? What's the real scoop? Any opinions
welcome...

Thanks in advance.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4283 (20090727) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old July 28th 09, 07:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"greysky" wrote in message ...
While this doesn't have anything specifically to do with ASUS motherboards,
I hope someone can help me out. I recently bought a Netgear rangemax dual
band wireless N DSL modem / router (DGND3300). It works very well as far as
I can tell - the thing seems fast: I download files with a speed of 160
kB/sec, which is well within the speed range of my DSL subscription. Now, my
buddy says this is not a very good unit because it isn't a 'gigabit' router.
He says a router that says 'gigabit' will run faster because it has a better
kind of technology in it. If I got one of these gigabit routers would it
really increase my speed, or what? What's the real scoop? Any opinions
welcome...

Thanks in advance.

All a gigabit router will get you is faster speeds between computers
on your local area network. The wide-area network speed (your
DSL) won't increase at all.

Old July 28th 09, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:08:19 -0700, wrote:

"greysky" wrote in message ...
[...]

And based on my experience, that "between computer" speed-up won't be
anything like the 10x that is implied by the 1 Gb name. It looks to me
like it's about 2x faster than the 100 Mb speed of a non-gigabit
router.
Old July 28th 09, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Op 28-7-2009, heeft greysky verondersteld :
While this doesn't have anything specifically to do with ASUS motherboards, I
hope someone can help me out. I recently bought a Netgear rangemax dual band
wireless N DSL modem / router (DGND3300). It works very well as far as I can
tell - the thing seems fast: I download files with a speed of 160 kB/sec,
which is well within the speed range of my DSL subscription. Now, my buddy
says this is not a very good unit because it isn't a 'gigabit' router. He
says a router that says 'gigabit' will run faster because it has a better
kind of technology in it. If I got one of these gigabit routers would it
really increase my speed, or what? What's the real scoop? Any opinions
welcome...

Thanks in advance.

You will not be able to change your download speed, just by using a
gigabit LAN/router.
The maximum internet downloadspeed is dependant on your ISP
subscription.

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old July 28th 09, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Geoff

My internet cable connection is advertised at 7 mbps. When doing a download
in WinBlows, if the download dialog box says 700 kb/s then that pretty much
maxes out the connection.

If you have a router not capable of that speed then a faster router would
help. However, the 7 mbps (ie packet speed) is set by the ISP and no router
in the world will change that setting.

If you are transferring files from computer to computer, all connected to
your router, then a faster router would mean faster transfers.

--g

Old July 29th 09, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Per :
All a gigabit router will get you is faster speeds between computers
on your local area network.

And even there, it depends on the wiring. Full gigabit speeds
need gigabit (Cat 6) wiring.

You may get some improvement with just Cat 5, but nowhere near
gigabit speeds.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 29th 09, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
daytripper[_2_]

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:55:25 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per :
All a gigabit router will get you is faster speeds between computers
on your local area network.

And even there, it depends on the wiring. Full gigabit speeds
need gigabit (Cat 6) wiring.

You may get some improvement with just Cat 5, but nowhere near
gigabit speeds.

Cat5e works perfectly well for gigabit service, allowing full throughput...
Old July 29th 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.

Gigabit routers have WIRED LAN (LOCAL) ports that can transfer data
between the router and the WIRED connected LOCAL computers at 1 Gigabit
per second. That is nice, but for 99.999% of all users, it is totally
irrelevant to everything and is of only academic interest. Unless you
are highly exceptional, your incoming internet connection from your ISP
isn't even 10 [TEN !!] megabits per second, much less 1,000 megabits per
second (that would be a gigabit). Further, your local computers, if
they even have a wired connection at all, likely also do not have
gigabit connections, and your wiring is not gigabit and (I could go on
and on as to why, even if you HAD a gigabit router, it would not operate
at gigabit speeds) and, finally, even if you had a gigabit router and
all of the [many] other requirements for operating at gigabit speeds
were met ..... it really just wouldn't matter much.

Old July 29th 09, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Zootal[_3_]

Out here in the real world, most people I know with home network setups use
gigabit switches (not routers - it's the switch, not the router, that has
to be gigabit, and many/most cable/dsl modems come with routers but no
switches at all) with gigabits nics in their boxes - usually on the mother
board since so many motherboards come with onboard gigabit nics these days.
I have a router with one cable going into my gigabit switch, and all my
boxes are plugged into the switch. I can push about 300 mbps from box to box
using some old cat5 I had laying around. Do this with with a 100mb setup and
you are lucky if you can push 80mbps through it. If I ever bothered to get
some quality network cable I could probably push more, but i'm too lazy to.
300mbps is good enough for what I need.

I would not call a 100mbps setup "not very good". Nor I would not go so far
as to say that 99.999% of users don't need gigabit, as a lot of us know what
we are doing and do indeed need that kind of bandwidth. But your average AOL
users only browse, email, im, etc. and have no need of gigabit speeds.

Old July 30th 09, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken Maltby

First time top poster, but I thought I would add my 2cent's
worth. I also use a gigabit switch to provide the connection
between my systems, NAS, and other devices. The systems
and NAS all function at gigabit speeds and utilize jumbo
packets. Some of the other attached devices, like media
players only use TX100 speeds.

While my router and modem only function at the lower
speeds, I have read of newer "Gaming" routers and modems
that are providing greater throughput/speeds.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. This top posting is dumb, if you ask me.

Routers Cal Vanize General 21 August 27th 07 01:02 AM
Regarding Routers Lee Gateway Computers 2 July 14th 07 01:36 PM
Routers Jim Homebuilt PC's 11 April 20th 06 01:07 AM
Routers... BlindMelon General 6 July 7th 05 02:40 AM
dsl routers 123xxxxx General 2 November 2nd 03 04:19 PM