GA-P35-DS3R will not boot

Old June 5th 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Z.K.

Default GA-P35-DS3R will not boot

I just bought a pair of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHXG, but when I
install them my motherboard will not boot. I installed it correctly in
slots 1 and 3 per the manual and took ESD precautions. I made sure they
were seated properly, but it comes on and then shuts off, then comes on
again until finally it stays on, but there is no video. Any ideas what
is wrong? I suppose I will have to send the memory back, but I was
wondering if anyone else had any luck using this memory and what you did
to get them to work.

Z.K.
Old June 5th 08, 05:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Z.K. wrote:
I just bought a pair of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHXG, but when I
install them my motherboard will not boot. I installed it correctly in
slots 1 and 3 per the manual and took ESD precautions. I made sure they
were seated properly, but it comes on and then shuts off, then comes on
again until finally it stays on, but there is no video. Any ideas what
is wrong? I suppose I will have to send the memory back, but I was
wondering if anyone else had any luck using this memory and what you did
to get them to work.

Z.K.

If the processor was working, and you had no RAM in the slots,
the speaker you connected to the F_PANEL header, would beep
a "missing RAM" pattern. If you're not getting any beeps,
then chances are the processor is not able to execute any
BIOS code. If RAM is present, and video is missing, then
you might hear a "missing video" beep pattern.

Reasons for processor not to run -

1) Power cable missing for 2x2 ATX12V power. That powers the
processor Vcore circuit.
2) Bad power supply.
3) BIOS chip not in its socket.
4) BIOS chip contents erased or corrupted.
5) Bad processor or bad (damaged) processor socket.

Work on getting some error beeps, while no RAM
or video is installed. For power, there should be
the main power cable (24 pin) and the ATX12V 2x2 square
one (two yellow +12V wires, two black GND wires).

The CPU fan should also be connected to the CPU fan header.
The RPM signal from the fan, helps keep the BIOS happy. If
the BIOS cannot detect the presence of a fan, it might
decide to turn off the board in 5 seconds or less. That
too would require BIOS intervention - no CPU execution, then
no checking the fan is possible.

The "double startup" is a feature of motherboards, that
has existed for some time. I've got older motherboards that
do it. With some of the modern motherboards though, it can
be fixed with a BIOS update. Check forums or look for reviews
for the board, and you'll likely find other reports of
the behavior. And perhaps someone will mention which BIOS
version fixes it.

But first you have to get some signs of life from the processor.
Run with no RAM or video, plug in a SPKR to the F_PANEL
header, and try to get some beeps.

HTH,
Paul
Old June 5th 08, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Keith

Also check for a BIOS setting that stops the startup if there is a RAM
issue. I noticed that on my GA-P35 DS3L

Old June 5th 08, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John7

Hi,

1. Try just 1 memory module at a time in different slots.
2. Drop in the previous memory, what do you get ?

Had a similar phenomenon (come up, reset, come up, reset) a week ago.
No beeps, nothing.
Videocard had died, swapped it for an old one and got BIOS boot screen back.

HTH,
John7

Old June 6th 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Z.K.

Paul wrote:
Z.K. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the post, but I think perhaps I did not explain myself well
enough. This is new RAM, the old RAM works just fine. My motherboard
works just fine with the old RAM, but will not boot with this new style
RAM. Someone did mention maybe a BIOS setting might cause my system not
to boot with some RAM. Do you know of any settings that might do this?

Z.K.
Old June 6th 08, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Z.K.

John7 wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I might try that. This is new RAM though, the old works fine.

Z.K.
Old June 6th 08, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Z.K. wrote:
Paul wrote:
Z.K. wrote:
I just bought a pair of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHXG, but when I
install them my motherboard will not boot. I installed it correctly
in slots 1 and 3 per the manual and took ESD precautions. I made
sure they were seated properly, but it comes on and then shuts off,
then comes on again until finally it stays on, but there is no
video. Any ideas what is wrong? I suppose I will have to send the
memory back, but I was wondering if anyone else had any luck using
this memory and what you did to get them to work.

Z.K.

On some motherboards, you'd get a beep pattern through the computer
case speaker (or the piezo element on the motherboard). One reason
RAM won't work sometimes, is insufficient voltage to make it work with
the SPD memory timing values.

But if the RAM upsets the operation of the Northbridge enough, or
if there was a dead short in something, that might prevent the
BIOS from running at all. (If, say, Vdimm was tied into power_good.)

I'd try setting manual memory parameters, with the working RAM, then
pull the working RAM, and install one stick of the new RAM. By
using relaxed settings for the RAM, perhaps it'll start. If one
stick works and one won't, the manufacturer may want both returned.

The memory is rated for 2.1V (0.3V above 1.8V). SPD is programmed
to 5-5-5-18, to make it easier to start. Then, manual programming
gives the rated 4-4-4 timing.

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/T...-6400C4DHX.pdf

Paul

Old June 7th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Z.K.

Paul wrote:
Z.K. wrote:
Paul wrote:
Z.K. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work. I set the memory speed
and timings manually in the BIOS, but still it kept defaulting back to
auto. I guess I will just have to send back the memory.

Z.K.
Old June 8th 08, 05:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Z.K.

Z.K. wrote:
I just bought a pair of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHXG, but when I
install them my motherboard will not boot. I installed it correctly in
slots 1 and 3 per the manual and took ESD precautions. I made sure they
were seated properly, but it comes on and then shuts off, then comes on
again until finally it stays on, but there is no video. Any ideas what
is wrong? I suppose I will have to send the memory back, but I was
wondering if anyone else had any luck using this memory and what you did
to get them to work.

Z.K.

Thanks everyone for all the help, but I think I finally figured it out.
After installing the memory in various configurations and messing with
the BIOS I finally was able to get one memory module to boot, but when I
put the other memory module in, in any configuration whether by itself
of with both, the PC will not boot and just hangs with a blank screen. I
believe I have a bad memory module so I will be sending these back
unfortunately.

Z.K.
Old June 12th 08, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John7

Hi ZK,

I had a similar problem a while ago.
Raising the DRAM voltage by 0.15V fixed the problem.
I use SIMMtester / DocMem to check longterm stability.

Try experimenting by raising by 0.05V steps.
DO NOT exceed +0.2V to avoid permanent damage.

HTH,
John7