XP partition size much less than HDD size

Old October 8th 08, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Griff

Default XP partition size much less than HDD size

Hi,

I have a P5W DH Deluxe and am trying to load XP home onto a 500gig HDD but
the maximum partition size available is 131gig, is this due to a BIOS
setting?

How can I make the 500gig available on a single partition?

Nothing I have tried will show the available partion size to be more than
the 131gig

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old October 8th 08, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Griff stelde dit idée voor :
Hi,

I have a P5W DH Deluxe and am trying to load XP home onto a 500gig HDD but
the maximum partition size available is 131gig, is this due to a BIOS
setting?

How can I make the 500gig available on a single partition?

Nothing I have tried will show the available partion size to be more than the
131gig

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

XP cannot see and handle partitions bigger than 131 Gbyte, unless at
least SP1 is installed or a slipstreamed install disc is used.

It is a known issue

Old October 8th 08, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Griff" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a P5W DH Deluxe and am trying to load XP home onto a 500gig HDD but
the maximum partition size available is 131gig, is this due to a BIOS
setting?

How can I make the 500gig available on a single partition?

Nothing I have tried will show the available partion size to be more than
the 131gig

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Griff:

I saw your post on ASUS' web site. I assume you purchased an "OEM" version
of the hard drive and did not get a partition program disk that comes with
the "Retail" version. To bad, you could have used it and saved you all this
trouble.

You can either go down to your local computer store and purchase a partition
program and use it, or learn how to use what you have. You will have to
"boot up" on your XP home CD and enter into DOS mode and find the program
FDISK and partition the HD to the full size it will report available. It
should report the full size of the hd, 500gb. You will then have to format
it for use, and make the volume active for boot-up control.

Then you should be able to install XP home at the full size as desired. You
will have to have to have XP Home SR2 or newer to accomplish this task
without a third-party partition program.

This is very complicated and hard to figure out if you have never done this
before. Good luck

William

Old October 8th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Griff

I have a P5W DH Deluxe and am trying to load XP home onto a 500gig HDD
but
the maximum partition size available is 131gig, is this due to a BIOS
setting?

How can I make the 500gig available on a single partition?

Nothing I have tried will show the available partion size to be more than
the 131gig

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

XP cannot see and handle partitions bigger than 131 Gbyte, unless at least
SP1 is installed or a slipstreamed install disc is used.

It is a known issue

Thanks.

Do you know if I would need SP1, 2 or 3 to allow a 500gig disk.

I had a fully working 250gig disk before but think I used an old Windows 95
floppy to boot from which must have worked?

Old October 8th 08, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Griff

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...

"Griff" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks William.
Yes, it was an OEM drive with no other disk.
I have always fdisked from a Windows 95 floppy in the past and seem to think
that that worked with my previous 250gb drive.
Might try as you say before purchasing XP SP2 or higher.
Can you tell me have to arrive at DOS mode from boot disk?
I know how one XP has loaded but assume this is before loading?
Am used to fdisking the old way.
Cheers.

Old October 8th 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Griff" wrote in message

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...

"Griff" wrote in message
[...]

I have pretty good recall, but not that good. It's been eight or so years
since I have done that. *IF* memory serves me correct, you push a function
key while booting on the XP cd to go to DOS prompt on start. You might be
able to search that info off of the net. If you have a computer running the
version of XP you have, you can make a bootable floppy disk that will dump
you to the dos prompt that you can work with. Of course that will require
foresight or an old computer available for doing this. See "To create an
MS-DOS startup disk" in Help. You will have to transfer FDISK and SYS onto
the disk to use.

To repeat: You will have to have XP Home SR2 or newer to accomplish this

Old October 9th 08, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Het is zò dat Griff formuleerde :
I have a P5W DH Deluxe and am trying to load XP home onto a 500gig HDD but
the maximum partition size available is 131gig, is this due to a BIOS
setting?

How can I make the 500gig available on a single partition?

Nothing I have tried will show the available partion size to be more than
the 131gig

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

XP cannot see and handle partitions bigger than 131 Gbyte, unless at least
SP1 is installed or a slipstreamed install disc is used.

It is a known issue

Thanks.

Do you know if I would need SP1, 2 or 3 to allow a 500gig disk.

I had a fully working 250gig disk before but think I used an old Windows 95
floppy to boot from which must have worked?

I allways use the latest SP, just to be sure I have no problems with my
system.
The strange thing is: to install SP3, you have to install SP1 or SP2
first.

Old October 11th 08, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rotten Ronny

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
You can either go down to your local computer store and purchase a
partition program and use it, or learn how to use what you have. You will
have to "boot up" on your XP home CD and enter into DOS mode and find the
program FDISK and partition the HD to the full size it will report
available. It should report the full size of the hd, 500gb. You will
then have to format it for use, and make the volume active for boot-up
control.

Then you should be able to install XP home at the full size as desired.
You will have to have to have XP Home SR2 or newer to accomplish this task
without a third-party partition program.

This is very complicated and hard to figure out if you have never done
this before. Good luck

William

Yea, and far more complicated than he needs to do. All he has to do is
install SP1, 2 or 3 and then go to disk management and create a second
partition with the rest of the HDD to get full use of the HDD. Yes, he will
now have two partitions but that is actually a benefit and not a detriment.
The OS can stay on the partition already created.

Old October 11th 08, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rotten Ronny

"Griff" wrote in message
Thanks William.
Yes, it was an OEM drive with no other disk.
I have always fdisked from a Windows 95 floppy in the past and seem to
think that that worked with my previous 250gb drive.
Might try as you say before purchasing XP SP2 or higher.
Can you tell me have to arrive at DOS mode from boot disk?
I know how one XP has loaded but assume this is before loading?
Am used to fdisking the old way.
Cheers.

Don't use Win95 fdisk for modern OS like XP and Vista. Either use a
contemporary 3rd party partitioning tool like Acronis Disk Director or use
the tools that came with the OS. Vista marks disks differently than XP does
even.

Old October 11th 08, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"Rotten Ronny" wrote in message
. ..
"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
[...]

I agree, two partitions would be the best way to go. I would suggest a 50
to 100gb partition for system and program files. Then after installing SP2
or 3, set the rest of the hd partition for data files within the "Computer
Management - Disk Management" program. This would have great advantages,
such as "Restore" could be set to the system/program volume only, increasing
speed and decreasing backup file size for restores on the system partition.
Also, this would force a differentiation between program and data files. An
area where few people do a proper job maintaining their computer. It would
also decrease disk defragmentation time, and make it easier to find program
and data files.

This happens to be the way I have my first hd setup.

Excellent point Ronny, thank you

William