Problems with P4S8X-X & GeForce 4 MX440SE 128MB DDR

Old July 21st 03, 08:21 PM
---]Rob[---

Default Problems with P4S8X-X & GeForce 4 MX440SE 128MB DDR

Hi,

I've just upgraded my PC and I bought a GeForce 4 MX440SE card and have
been having terrible trouble with it. The commonest problem is the screen
going black for a second as though changing resolutions or refresh rates.
Other times the screen goes blank and the monitor goes into standby mode but
the PC stays on and functioning. Lastly, the screen goes blank, then into
standby, then the PC reboots, and the HDD is full of errors on restart.

The other (related) problem is the screen goes blank and after a long
wait comes back in 640x480 4 colour mode. After rebooting WinXP reports a
driver error and after sending it to Microsoft a page is open explaining
about "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 293078: Error Message: STOP
0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)". I've tried all
different driver versions and some a re a little better some a little worse.

I'm wondering if my PSU is at fault as it is a 300W unit. I've done the
sums for Watts and Amps found on various sites and the conclusion is my
system draws 310W and 17A on the +12V line which is only supplying 15A.
Would this explain the problems? Do these figures sound right for the kind
of system I have (I'm not very up on the electrical side of PCs).

System Spec:
P4-3.06GHz HT 533Mhz
512Mb PC2700 DDR RAM
Sparkle GeForce 4 MX440SE 128MB DDR with TV Out
ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard Rev 1.1 (AGP 1X, 2X, 4X, 8X) (On board LAN & Sound
both disabled)
SB Audigy Player Sound Card
PCI V.92 Modem
2 x EIDE HDD
1 x CD-R/RW
1 x DVD-ROM
3 internal fans
6 x USB ports (3 in use)
Winning PC case + PSU (includes 12cm E-FAN, 8cm I-Fan)
KB/Mouse

WinXP Pro

The new parts a GeForce, M/B, RAM, P4 Case + PSU, so obviously it is
hard to narrow down what could be at fault. Nothing from my old system can
be used in the new to test it (or visa versa). All drivers/BIOSes are upto
date.

Hope someone can help,
Rob

Old July 21st 03, 09:05 PM
---]Rob[---

Hi again,

I've noticed that the drivers being installed by default for the card
are for the MX440, wheres I've got a MX440SE could this cause the problem?
(The Core & Clock frequencies are different between the two). How do I get
the nVidia install program to recognise the card correctly?

Another thing I forgot to mention is when I click on Advanced in Windows
Display Properties the screen blanks and "clicks" as though changing
settings, is this normal?

Sorry to be such a hopeless case but this is the first upgrade I've done
for over 5 years and things have changed quite a bit since then!

Rob

Old July 21st 03, 10:35 PM
Tim

Rob,

If you don't have a larger PSU at hand, try an experiment: remove as many
extra peripherals as you can (including fans, USB devices, sound, modem, and
CD ROM) and see if that improves your systems instability. Your objective
will be to reduce the PSU load as much as possible to see if - at least -
the interval between weird behaviour increases. If it does you will have
some confirmation that the PSU is the problem. Unfortunately, the devices
that can be removed probably don't add up to much in PSU load. To get
stability, you will need a margin above the rating of the PSU EG 25 - 40%
extra supply capacity to ensure the PSU can supply power during peaks
without fluctuating.

If you are using the NVidia installer, I wouldn't fuss at this point about
the device drivers it installs.

- Tim

Old July 22nd 03, 12:36 AM
R_Supp

"---]Rob[---" e.co.uk
wrote in message ...
Hi again,

I've noticed that the drivers being installed by default for the card
are for the MX440, wheres I've got a MX440SE could this cause the problem?
(The Core & Clock frequencies are different between the two). How do I

get
the nVidia install program to recognise the card correctly?

Another thing I forgot to mention is when I click on Advanced in

Windows
Display Properties the screen blanks and "clicks" as though changing
settings, is this normal?

Sorry to be such a hopeless case but this is the first upgrade I've

done
for over 5 years and things have changed quite a bit since then!

Rob

I would suggest you change nothing untill you get yourself a real power
supply.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:50 AM
---]Rob & Sam[---

What would you class as a real power supply then? Unfortunately I'll have
to get what my local PC World stocks (JEANTECH) of which I believe the
450W's +12V line is rated at 18A. Just one over my maximum!

Rob

Old July 23rd 03, 05:58 AM
ct

What is wrong with saving money and ordering from net?
I bought this one and it work well!
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=270007

Free 2nd day air shipping and no tax!
I have tried to buy locally, but they do not generally have the better
products, and if by chance they do they are about 40-50% higher than online
order.

"R_Supp" wrote in message

"---]Rob & Sam[---"

. co.uk
wrote in message ...
What would you class as a real power supply then? Unfortunately I'll

have
to get what my local PC World stocks (JEANTECH) of which I believe the
450W's +12V line is rated at 18A. Just one over my maximum!

Rob

That sounds like the one you need.