HP 2450 -- Poor Printer, Expensive Ink & Poon Online & Phone support

Old March 12th 16, 07:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
We Shall Over Comb

Default HP 2450 -- Poor Printer, Expensive Ink & Poon Online & Phone support

Nothing good about this printer, compared with Canon and Lexmark which I have also used for years.

In fact, my laptop is HP and the touch pad does not respond like it should.

I wonder if Carly Fiorina had anything to do with the development of these products. Sure glad she did not get enough interest to run for president!!

General about HP 2450....
I have had this for about 9 months. Prints fine for up to 50 sheets of 8.5 x 11, but more than that or other types of paper it is not satisfactory. My typical job is printing 75 8.5x11 sheets of Avery labels. After about 30 sheets, it starts to slow down and eventually pauses several seconds between sheets. Never had that problem with any make printer I have used in the last 20 years.

For printing and scanning, it will not print on the bottom that is within 1-inch of the edge of the paper. This is a pain because many forms and originals to copy are printed to 3/8 to 1/2 inch margin. Printing from PDF is a mystery to me. It's "smart system" tries to offset printing when I want it to just print exactly what is on the image.

Ink...
I don't mind buying ink cartridges if it's a good printer, which this one is not. Plus cartridges are now $30+ for XL black. I have always refilled ink cartridges. But this one has some kind of software lock so that I can't get refilled cartridges to work. I have read several posts and info online explaining how to put a new catridget it, run it, replace with refill, etc., and none of these procedures work for me.

Online support....
Non-existent, unless you call software answering questions by picking up keywords in the question. Answers are seldom correct for the questions.

Phone support....
Unbelievably poor. First you get someone who is overly polite in bumfukt India but who can only read stock answers. Whey asked to speak to someone in the US, either they are not available or there is a long wait. I have never been able to stay on the phone over 10 minutes so I don't know how they are. If you do call, you will need your serial number from the back of the printer.

Old March 28th 16, 06:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney

"Martin Τrautmann" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:35:50 -0800, We Shall Over Comb wrote:
[...]

I was very surprised to read about all of that, since mine is fast and
does print very well....

... until I recognized that you talk about the HP *DeskJet* 2450, while
I do use the HP *LaserJet* 2450.

If you do print that much, you should not use an inkjet printer, but a
laserjet instead.

- Martin

That was not the question. Ink jet is superior for what I'm doing. Before you start up with laser being better than ink jet, filter the air in the room where your printer is located and you will find sum ppm carbon particles. These cannot be avoided with laser printers. Particles end up in your lungs and over time can cause brown lung disease. Also laser is high temp, high electricity usage and large cartridges are extremely difficult (and toxic) to refill, and end up in land fills.

Old March 28th 16, 08:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote:
[...]

Yes there is no question that both laser and ink printers have their place. No
point in debating that.
But I have to comment on the rest of your post. Many years ago (at least 20)
there was some evidence that exposure to toner caused lung disease. That is no
longer the case; the component parts of toner changed and that removed the risk
- there is no evidence of that problem now except in cases where people have
massive exposure. I have seen pictures of childern playing in used toner dumps
in China, I don't know whether that is still the case, and that I am sure would
be seriously hazardous. Toner is no longer toxic; the only risk is massive
exposure to such fine particles not normal exposure in an office environment.
Tony

Old March 29th 16, 04:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney

"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message news
[...]

There is no comparison between ink and toner for safety. Toner is hazardous no matter what. It is not toxic as with chemicals, but it gets in the lungs and builds up over time, just like coal dust. Toner cartridges I have used are not air tight. When replacing them toner gets out in the room air.

Also I have seen the places where carbon is produced in NC. The workers go home covered head to toe with black dust and within 15 years go out on disability. I won't support an industry that treats its employees this way when I have a decent alternative.

Besides the toner, the Samslung laser I had would heat the paper up so hot that it curled - amost too hot to touch when it hit the output tray.

Also, for quality, ink jet is still far superior. Laser will never be as high resolution because of the application process.

Old March 29th 16, 05:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

[...]

That used to be almost true, it is no longer so. Toner is only hazardous when
working with it for the purpose of filling or refilling and there are easy
safeguards available. It is in any event absolutely not dangerous except in
very large quantities which is not somethinga ny user would experience. The
world has moved on and what you are saying is 20 years out of date.

Also I have seen the places where carbon is produced in NC. The workers go
home covered head to toe with black dust and within 15 years go out on
disability. I won't support an industry that treats its employees this way
when I have a decent alternative.

There is no carbon in toner. Ink printers are not an alternative to lasers,
simply a different quality at a different price (much higher) and a very
different speed.

Besides the toner, the Samslung laser I had would heat the paper up so hot
that it curled - amost too hot to touch when it hit the output tray.

A very small number of laser printers do that, the vast majority do not do so
provided the user sets the driver up correctly.

Also, for quality, ink jet is still far superior. Laser will never be as high
resolution because of the application process.

Used to be always true, however laser printers produce better text output than
most ink printers at a much lower cost per page and the quality of laser colour
posters is terrific today. You need to look at the latest lasers to get an
idea. The one thing that is correct is that laser printers still do not produce
photo quality but their prints will last much longer than any ink print can.
In other words, horses for courses is it not?

Tony

Old March 29th 16, 09:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Martin ?rautmann wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 23:14:14 -0500, Tony wrote:
Also, for quality, ink jet is still far superior. Laser will never be as
high
resolution because of the application process.

Used to be always true, however laser printers produce better text output
than
most ink printers at a much lower cost per page and the quality of laser
colour
posters is terrific today. You need to look at the latest lasers to get an
idea. The one thing that is correct is that laser printers still do not
produce
photo quality but their prints will last much longer than any ink print can.
In other words, horses for courses is it not?

"We Shall Over Comb" did not write about color printing, but about black
xl cartridges and avery labels.

Concerning colors, laser might be better for high volume as well as very
little volume (where ink dries out), but color quality for only a few
prints can be achieved with ink at a much higher total cost than for
laser printers, if you actually want photo quality.

- Martin

I missed the xl Cartridge bit, in that case he is completely wrong about
quality, modern cheap lasers print better quality text, last longer and are
cheaper to run.

Very few domestic users want photo quality although they have convinced
themselves that they do. A cheap dye sub printer produces very good (near
photo) quality with extremely good life. They are particularly useful if you
only want small prints (say up to postcard size).

Tony

Old March 30th 16, 08:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:25:31 -0700, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
There is no comparison between ink and toner for safety. Toner is hazardous no matter what. It is not toxic as with chemicals, but it gets in the lungs and builds up over time, just like coal dust. Toner cartridges I have used are not air tight. When replacing them toner gets out in the room air.

How about the cyanid within the ink?

Also, for quality, ink jet is still far superior. Laser will never be as high resolution because of the application process.

whatever - the resolution is far beyond recognition. In fact you do need
special paper in order to avoid spreading the ink, resulting in
*inferior* ink quality. For high volume printing I would not imagine the
usage of such high quality paper.

But considering your trolling, I suppose that you will neglect that
assumption.

-Martin

Dumbass. My comments are strictly for my own purposes - garden variety paper for the most part with $30-90 printers. I have no need for expensive printing. If I need photo quality, I order from a commercial source which is much lower cost in the long run that buying a high priced printer.

Old March 30th 16, 11:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

Default Hot Laser Printer

In article ,
Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:

Besides the toner, the Samslung laser I had would heat the paper up so hot
that it curled - amost too hot to touch when it hit the output tray.

A very small number of laser printers do that, the vast majority do not do so
provided the user sets the driver up correctly.

Tony-

My problem is envelopes being sealed by the laser printer.

Envelopes printed on an old HP LJ 2605dn would stick, but the flaps
could easily be loosened.

Envelopes printed on a newer HP LJ Pro M451DN stick fairly tight. The
flaps can usually be pried open, but the envelope gets wrinkled and
sometimes it pulls up the surface of the paper.

I am printing from a Macintosh with the latest system. I looked through
settings in the printer's web server, but did not see anything that
might affect temperature.

Do you know of another way to adjust temperature? I am worried that it
might prevent toner from sticking to the paper if it was lowered too
much.

Fred
Old March 30th 16, 11:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message ...
In article ,
[...]

This is another problem with laser printers that we don't have with ink jet.

Old March 31st 16, 02:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
[...]

You cannot adjust the temperature on all laser printers but those where you can
are controlled from the driver by selecting the media type (usually). Does the
driver have an envelope media type? This may not be the smae setting where you
tell the printer what size of paper is in the tray; it may be a different
setting where you tell the printer what type (not size) of media you are using,
Also, make sure you use envelopes that are designed for laser printers (or
photocopiers), they have a higher temperature tolerance. If you select the
wrong "type" various things can happen like paper curling too much (common with
smaller paper sizes because the grain runs the wrong way for instance). I have
seen several printers ruined because people printed on to transparencies that
were not designed for use with laser printers.
Tony