HP Photosmart B209a

Old October 15th 14, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer
Stumpy

Default HP Photosmart B209a

My son bought a new, in the box HP Photosmart B209a for $10 at a garage
sale. The scanner works fine, the printer won't print using the black
546 cartridge unless the 3 color cartridges are installed. I have no
desire to buy color cartridges so I'm asking if there is a workaround.

HP obviously wants me to buy the ink. Even though I select Black Only
Greyscale in the HP Device Manager print settings, the documents just
sit in the queue. "Device busy"

If there is no workaround, then I have a very large, heavy scanner.
Old October 15th 14, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer
David H. Lipman

From: "Stumpy"

My son bought a new, in the box HP Photosmart B209a for $10 at a garage
sale. The scanner works fine, the printer won't print using the black
546 cartridge unless the 3 color cartridges are installed. I have no
desire to buy color cartridges so I'm asking if there is a workaround.

HP obviously wants me to buy the ink. Even though I select Black Only
Greyscale in the HP Device Manager print settings, the documents just
sit in the queue. "Device busy"

If there is no workaround, then I have a very large, heavy scanner.

Seriously ?
You get a printer for $10.00 and you won't buy the ink for it ? ROFLOL

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Old October 15th 14, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer
Stumpy

From: "Stumpy"

My son bought a new, in the box HP Photosmart B209a for $10 at a
garage sale. The scanner works fine, the printer won't print using
the black 546 cartridge unless the 3 color cartridges are installed.
I have no desire to buy color cartridges so I'm asking if there is a
workaround.

HP obviously wants me to buy the ink. Even though I select Black Only
Greyscale in the HP Device Manager print settings, the documents just
sit in the queue. "Device busy"

If there is no workaround, then I have a very large, heavy scanner.

Seriously ?
You get a printer for $10.00 and you won't buy the ink for it ? ROFLOL

I'll buy black cartridges for as long as it works, will never print
color on it.
Old October 15th 14, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Stumpy wrote:
My son bought a new, in the box HP Photosmart B209a for $10 at a garage
sale. The scanner works fine, the printer won't print using the black
546 cartridge unless the 3 color cartridges are installed. I have no
desire to buy color cartridges so I'm asking if there is a workaround.

HP obviously wants me to buy the ink. Even though I select Black Only
Greyscale in the HP Device Manager print settings, the documents just
sit in the queue. "Device busy"

If there is no workaround, then I have a very large, heavy scanner.

My understanding is that this printer uses a printhead with separate ink
cartridges.
The printer is therefore quite correctly designed to not operate if any of the
cartridges are empty or missng.
This is to protect the printhead which would otherwise permanently fail.
Printheads need lubrication and/or cooling; this comes from the ink.
No workaround is possible without in depth and serious electronic skills.
There is no subterfuge in this approach by HP with whom I have no affiliation.

Tony

Old October 15th 14, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 10/15/2014 03:05 AM, Tony wrote:

[...]

Our OfficeJet 7135 has *separate* printheads for each color but
nevertheless will not print black if a whole set of working color
cartridges is not present -- and I haven't found any aftermarket
cartridges (#14) or anyone who will refill them.

Why would the color printheads need cooling if they are not activated
(as in printing only black)?

A distant relative by marriage who used to work for HP's printer
division said that they made a fortune out of the ink cartridges.

We just bought an Epson all-in-one that has refillable cartridges.

Perce

Old October 15th 14, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer
David H. Lipman

From: "Stumpy"

From: "Stumpy"

My son bought a new, in the box HP Photosmart B209a for $10 at a
garage sale. The scanner works fine, the printer won't print using
the black 546 cartridge unless the 3 color cartridges are installed.
I have no desire to buy color cartridges so I'm asking if there is a
workaround.

HP obviously wants me to buy the ink. Even though I select Black Only
Greyscale in the HP Device Manager print settings, the documents just
sit in the queue. "Device busy"

If there is no workaround, then I have a very large, heavy scanner.

Seriously ?
You get a printer for $10.00 and you won't buy the ink for it ? ROFLOL

I'll buy black cartridges for as long as it works, will never print color
on it.

So...
Buy the colour ink and print B&W. Still will be a B&W printer less than
$50.00.

Old October 15th 14, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Stumpy[_2_]

My understanding is that this printer uses a printhead with separate ink
cartridges.
The printer is therefore quite correctly designed to not operate if any of
the
cartridges are empty or missng.
This is to protect the printhead which would otherwise permanently fail.
Printheads need lubrication and/or cooling; this comes from the ink.
No workaround is possible without in depth and serious electronic skills.
There is no subterfuge in this approach by HP with whom I have no
affiliation.

Tony

Thanks for the info. I am reluctant to invest much in a machine that has so
many 1star reviews on Amazon. I'm out $10 for ink, my son is out $10 for a
scanner.

Old October 15th 14, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Stumpy[_2_]

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
[...]

I am suspicious that it is mostly self interest that causes them to put in
that interlock.

Old October 15th 14, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

They don't. If each cartridge has a built in printhead then we are talking
about a very different matter and I cannot think of a technical reason why
printing would be suspended if colour cartridges are not present except that
many ink printers enhance black prints with colour. Maybe the manufacturer
wants to keep the print quality "as designed". The response I made was
specifically for printers with separate ink tanks and printheads.

A distant relative by marriage who used to work for HP's printer
division said that they made a fortune out of the ink cartridges.

The business model followed by most, perhaps all, printer manufacturers for the
entry level to mid range marketplace is to almost give the printer away and
charge heavily for the ink or toner. This model was started I believe by
Gillette with their safety razors (cheap razor, expensive blades). HP are not
alone in this by any means. Aftermarket ink cartridges are available for many
printers (I'm not getting into the argument about relative quality here) so the
consumer usually has a choice. Some manufacturers make their printers detect
aftermarket cartridges and either refuse to work with them or make it a pain to
do so. I believe this is illegal in Europe now but maybe not in the US???

[Snip}

Tony

Old October 15th 14, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

I think the real problem with ink cart. sales is that the normal ink cart.
is only half filled.
They then charge a premium to buy a full ink cart.

Then there is the environmental impact. People will tend to buy the half
filled ink carts to save money. The consumer then ends up throwing away
twice as much packaging material.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

photosmart 5160 and photosmart 7760 Daphne Eze Printers 1 November 12th 07 04:50 AM
hp photosmart....help please TERRY Printers 3 August 2nd 06 09:57 PM
HP Photosmart 145 Jackiemum Printers 2 January 21st 04 07:51 PM
Photosmart 7760 VS Photosmart 7660 VS Deskjet 5652 slash Printers 1 November 20th 03 02:09 AM
Photosmart 7760 VS Photosmart 7660 VS Deskjet 5652 slash Printers 0 November 19th 03 03:17 PM