Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 11th 18, 02:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda need testing/connection/communicationservice to diagnose it ???)

This is a bit of a long shot, but maybe somebody has seen something like this, I am thinking not but ya never know.

Situation is really weird:

My PC can play World of Warships fine, Company of Heroes via Game Ranger fine.

It can browse/websurf the internet fine.

It can even connect to another laptop over same ethernet port by pulling out internet cable modem cable and reconnecting to laptop etc.

But for whatever reason:

If computers from the outside try to connect to my PC it's not working.

Vice versa it's also not working ?!? Maybe cause those devices are natted.

But as far as I know my PC is not NATTED.

Or it's some strange/new ISP kind of NAT that behaves oddly.

Like only big companies/servers are still reachable and not consumer PCs.

As far as I can tell my PC does have a public IP address.

But apperently this is not working/enough anymore ?! Very strange.

I plan on replacing my PC with a laptop, just as a test, to see if it's the PC at fault and it's software, or if something more strange is going on ?!

What kind of electrical defect/or wear and tear could produce such a weird result ?!

(One thing which is on my mind is something different, a hacked or misconfigured/corrupted modem, which somehow blocks this).

For now I will keep assuming that everything is just fine on my PC and that it's the outside world that simply can't connect to my PC.

Though even laptop PC sometimes behaves weird as far as I can recall, but usually I can get it to work (?!) though now I am not so sure anymore.

It's not stupid firewall cause this is turned off and would usually allow anyway... it's something more strange.

I will try to get to the bottom of it though.

Also is there any service out there on the internet where there is a public computer that can send some traffic to a specific tcp or udp port ?!

Just to see if my PC can actually receive this ?!

That would be very helpfull.

Bonus would be if I can then send something back to it's udp or tcp port to see if that computer can also receive from me... and finally it reports this via a website/html or so... or even e-mail or so.

Bye,
Skybuck.