How to use black ink instead of color, for black print

Old January 28th 16, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.windows7.general,comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Default How to use black ink instead of color, for black print

"NY" wrote:
"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message
news
As a general rule, and ignoring the question of mixing colour with black
for
enhancement purposes, all printers with fixed print heads will refuse to
print
if any ink tank runs out. This is to protect the head regardless of what
the
cynical amongst us might think. Depending on whether the fixed printhead
is
piezo or heat driven the ink is needed to either lubricate or cool the
head, in
both cases absence of ink damages the head.
For printers that use cartridges that have built in heads, so that the
head is
replaced when the cartridge is replaced, it is a matter of design whether
the
printer will work with some ink missing and that design may be to allow
enhanced black printing or (rarely) to force people to buy more ink they
do not
yet need!

Interesting. I hadn't realised that there was a technical reason for it, as
opposed to a sales one. Come to think of it, my HP which would carry on
printing had the head in the cartridge whereas the Epson which won't has a
head that is not replaced when the cartridges are replaced.

Shame that if you select black-only, power to the colour head isn't disabled
so as to remove the need to lubricate/cool it.

In most cases cleaning cycles take place when powering on the printer (I don't
know of any exceptions). That indicates that cleaning is needed after a period
of power off. In any event I am convinced that any manufacturer that could
design a head that didn't need ink to cool or lubricate would get a lot of
customers so the technical reasons are obviously powerful.
Tony

Old January 28th 16, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.windows7.general,comp.periphs.printers
GSalisbury[_5_]

"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message
news
"NY" wrote:

[snip]
In most cases cleaning cycles take place when powering on the printer (I
don't
know of any exceptions). That indicates that cleaning is needed after a
period
of power off. In any event I am convinced that any manufacturer that could
design a head that didn't need ink to cool or lubricate would get a lot of
customers so the technical reasons are obviously powerful.
Tony

FWIW for info only ...
I have a Brother MFC-5460CN (an AOI) that is always plugged-in but mostly
turned-off.
It will periodically "wake itself up" and run through some cleaning cycles
automagically.
I also have a Canon iP3000 (had an i560 for a long time till I killed it).
I think the Canon's clean when I tell them to.
Geo. S.

Old January 29th 16, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.windows7.general,comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"GSalisbury" wrote:
"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message
news
"NY" wrote:

[snip]
[...]

Fair enough, there is different beaviour for different printers.
My ip4000 which I use rarely cleans every time I turn it on.
My experiences with Brother inkjets have not been great but I do like their
laser or LED printers.
Tony

Old January 29th 16, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.windows7.general,comp.periphs.printers
GSalisbury[_5_]

"GSalisbury" wrote:
"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message
news
"NY" wrote:

[snip]
[...]

===========
I guess you could be right about the Canon's and cleaning on power-up.
When I send something to be printed they turn on (if off) and there is a lot
of whirring and clucking and latency and what have you.
True of the i560 and now of the iP3000.
I never gave it much thought.
It is what it is.
Geo.

Old January 29th 16, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.windows7.general,comp.periphs.printers
micky

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:54:19 -0500, "GSalisbury"
wrote:

"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message
news
"NY" wrote:

[snip]
In most cases cleaning cycles take place when powering on the printer (I
don't
know of any exceptions). That indicates that cleaning is needed after a
period
of power off. In any event I am convinced that any manufacturer that could
design a head that didn't need ink to cool or lubricate would get a lot of
customers so the technical reasons are obviously powerful.
Tony

FWIW for info only ...
I have a Brother MFC-5460CN (an AOI) that is always plugged-in but mostly
turned-off.
It will periodically "wake itself up" and run through some cleaning cycles
automagically.

Yes, I have a Brother MFC-J625DW AOI (AIO). Inkjet. I don't turn it
off. I don't think it has a switch. But it has no sign of life when
I look at it. Not a single glowing light. But the manual said it
turns on, every 2 days iirc, to clean itself.

With the Epson aio inkjet, I was determined to not clog the jets so I
printed something every two months, for two years, and that seemed to
be enough. Brother's policy of every two days seems excessive. Maybe
that's why I found the printer on the curb (and talked to the previous
owner, who lived there and answered the door when I knocked, who
really did throw it away (not that it was stolen and then dumped). I
didnt' ask why.)