30 min. startup

Old May 16th 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
J. Yazel

Default 30 min. startup

I have a new problem that I've never seen before.

My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE.

When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes.

I've tried a new battery (even though the old one appears to be O.K.

The drives spin up.

When the machine finally decides to start, everything is completely
perfect from that moment on.

Has anybody run into this before?

Thanks for any help.

Jack

Old May 16th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
RobertVA

J. Yazel wrote:
I have a new problem that I've never seen before.

My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE.

When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes.

I've tried a new battery (even though the old one appears to be O.K.

The drives spin up.

When the machine finally decides to start, everything is completely
perfect from that moment on.

Has anybody run into this before?

Thanks for any help.

Jack

Are there any messages about "SMART" errors during the POST? I had a
hard drive that simultaneously started showing SMART errors during the
POST and taking a LLLOOONNNGGGG time to boot. Both problems disappeared
when I replaced the hard drive.
Old May 16th 07, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken

J. Yazel wrote:
I have a new problem that I've never seen before.

My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE.

When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes.

By "No response" do you mean nothing appears on the monitor? Or do you
mean it fails to boot into Windows?

Old May 16th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

J. Yazel wrote:
I have a new problem that I've never seen before.

My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE.

When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes.

I've tried a new battery (even though the old one appears to be O.K.

The drives spin up.

When the machine finally decides to start, everything is completely
perfect from that moment on.

Has anybody run into this before?

Although 30 minutes seems extreme, extra slow startups can be caused by
a hard drive that's flaking out. What happens during those 30 minutes?
ie, What screen is up when the PC hangs?

Old May 16th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Michael Hawes

"J. Yazel" wrote in message

I have a new problem that I've never seen before.

My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE.

When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes.

I've tried a new battery (even though the old one appears to be O.K.

The drives spin up.

When the machine finally decides to start, everything is completely
perfect from that moment on.

Has anybody run into this before?

Thanks for any help.

Jack

Try a different PSU.

Mike.

Old May 17th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
J. Yazel

On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:16:32 GMT, Ken wrote:

J. Yazel wrote:
I have a new problem that I've never seen before.
My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE.
When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes.

By "No response" do you mean nothing appears on the monitor? Or do you
mean it fails to boot into Windows?

It means that absolutely nothing appears on the monitor except the
built-in bouncing test pattern (that shows up without the PC being on
at all except for the monitor).

After the delay time, I turn the main power off, wait 10 seconds,
turn it on and everything starts perfectly normally.

It almost has to be the BIOS or the power supply. Since I'm
inherently lazy, I would rather not expend a large amount of physical
labor on wild guesses if I can first narrow down where the problem
really is.

Anybody else have anything?

Thanks again.

Jack

Old May 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
J. Yazel

Although 30 minutes seems extreme, extra slow startups can be caused by
a hard drive that's flaking out. What happens during those 30 minutes?
ie, What screen is up when the PC hangs?

=====================

Nothing happens because the machine never starts (until about 30
minutes later).. Therefore it doesn't hang.

When it first started a few days ago, I thought it might be a hard
drive, so I used XCLONE to copy drive 1 to drive 2, physically
reversed the drives and there was no difference at all.

Old May 17th 07, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

J. Yazel wrote:

I have a new problem that I've never seen before.
When I power-on my PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30
minutes. I've tried a new battery (even though the old one appears to be O.K.

As you see it wasn't a battery problem. Does the hard drive light blink
while starting up?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Old May 17th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:38:44 -0400, J. Yazel
wrote:

Although 30 minutes seems extreme, extra slow startups can be caused by
a hard drive that's flaking out. What happens during those 30 minutes?
ie, What screen is up when the PC hangs?

=====================

Nothing happens because the machine never starts (until about 30
minutes later).. Therefore it doesn't hang.

When it first started a few days ago, I thought it might be a hard
drive, so I used XCLONE to copy drive 1 to drive 2, physically
reversed the drives and there was no difference at all.

Power supply is a strong suspect. If you have a lot of USB
devices, temporarily unplug a few in case it was the 5VSB
which is weak - then unplug the system from AC, wait 10
seconds or so and plug it back in, wait a few seconds and
turn it on. Measure voltage with a multimeter or at least
get some readings from a bios health screen or windows
hardware monitor utility. Check battery voltage.

If you think it might be a drive, temporarily unplug the
drives from power and data cables.

You did not adequately describe the system. "500MHz" just
isn't enough, remember it is a hardware group. All major
components including make and model would help, including
PSU.

Inspect the motherboard for capacitor failures. While you
have the system open if it looking like it needs cleaned
out, do so and check fans - which are not likely the problem
but might as well make sure a system this age doesn't have
multiple problems. If I had to guess I'd say PSU is #1
suspect but then we know almost nothing about the hardware
thus far.
Old May 17th 07, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

"J. Yazel" wrote:

My machine is a 500mhz running Windows 98SE. When I power-on my
PC, there is no response for a minimum of 30 minutes. I've tried
a new battery (even though the old one appears to be O.K.

The drives spin up. When the machine finally decides to start,
everything is completely perfect from that moment on.

Has anybody run into this before?

Probably. I suspect it is rough checking memory, but not showing
its progress. This is all wired into the bios.

--
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

Startup gibby Dell Computers 3 March 31st 06 02:56 AM
PC not seeing HD on startup mark davies Homebuilt PC's 4 February 3rd 05 02:47 AM
Startup Fred Schwaner Ati Videocards 2 December 8th 04 10:57 PM
Startup Help! Denzil Hathway Gateway Computers 3 July 28th 04 09:37 PM
Bios startup screen does not show on startup M. Benton Homebuilt PC's 3 February 1st 04 12:40 AM