[x-post] Balanced system?

Old August 14th 05, 03:12 PM
Haley

Default [x-post] Balanced system?

I'm about to purchase the following for both work and play:

Antec Sonata Piano Quiet 380W case
Asus A8V-E Deluxe K8T890
AMD 64 3800+ Venice
1Gb RAM Corsair XMS DDR400/PC3200 (2x 512Mb)
ATi Radeon X800 256Mb DDR PCI-E (Connect 3D)
Western Digital Caviar SE 250Gb SATAII
NEC ND-3540A Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Win XP Pro/SP2
integrated audio and 1Gb LAN.

Is it just me or the GPU is a little weak when compared to the rest? Should
I get a 6800GT or an X850 instead?
Is it true that in order to work in dual channel memory banks need to be of
like brand and size and not fill all slots on the mobo?

Gracias!
Claudio

Old August 14th 05, 05:15 PM
bigbear

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe and with it you either put one memory card in a
particular slot or you have to have the same size memory dual channel.
Board has 4 slots. I've got 2 500 MB Ultra's in 2 of the slots. The other
two slots are different manufacturers but both 1 GB cards. Total 3 GB are
recognized and work.

Bigbear

Old August 15th 05, 06:27 AM
Haley

"DaveW" wrote:
Dual channel RAM sticks must be IDENTICAL units, and installed in pairs.

Yeah, thought so. Then I suppose it's better to have 1Gb dual channel than, say,
1.5Gb single. Thanks for the insight, to Bigbear as well.

Best,
Claudio