need suggestions to build my DELL PC ($1500)

Old January 8th 05, 02:28 AM
Julia

Default need suggestions to build my DELL PC ($1500)

Hi, there,

I have $1500 budget to build my DELL computer, could be a desktop or a
workstation (desktop seems more reasonable to me under this budget). I
will use it mainly for the computation, so the CPU power will be the
most important thing (memory the second). Also I need a good (not
necessary excellent) graphics card to display some images. Monitor can
be 17'' LCD one.

Can you give me some suggestions about the configuration and the model
of the computer, especially if you know some deals around? Thanks in
advance.

Old January 8th 05, 03:26 AM
Noozer

"Julia" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, there,

I have $1500 budget to build my DELL computer, could be a desktop or a
workstation (desktop seems more reasonable to me under this budget). I
will use it mainly for the computation, so the CPU power will be the
most important thing (memory the second). Also I need a good (not
necessary excellent) graphics card to display some images. Monitor can
be 17'' LCD one.

Can you give me some suggestions about the configuration and the model
of the computer, especially if you know some deals around? Thanks in
advance.

First of all, learn something about computers.

If you want to pick and choose, why are you even looking at Dell?

A "Desktop" and a "Workstation" are the same thing.

Finally Dell sells Dell... where "around" would you expect to find deals?

I don't mean to knock you, but you sound like someone just handed you a wad
of cache and you fell in love with "the box over there with the blue
button... does it do stuff?"

Old January 8th 05, 03:58 AM
Mac Cool

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...red_dp_desktop
4_2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
--
Mac Cool
Old January 8th 05, 01:02 PM

On 7 Jan 2005 18:28:07 -0800, "Julia" wrote:

Hi, there,

I have $1500 budget to build my DELL computer, could be a desktop or a
workstation (desktop seems more reasonable to me under this budget). I
will use it mainly for the computation, so the CPU power will be the
most important thing (memory the second). Also I need a good (not
necessary excellent) graphics card to display some images. Monitor can
be 17'' LCD one.

Can you give me some suggestions about the configuration and the model
of the computer, especially if you know some deals around? Thanks in
advance.

I really dont keep up with DELL deals but have seen lots of posts on
KILLER dell deals. There were some around Xmas - if you combined the
usual coupons/deals floating around and the DELL ELF discounts
however those Ive heard expired. Someone has posted that there might
be new ones coming around towards the end of the month.

When you say computation not sure what you mean.
More raw computing power than graphics?
With this you get 10% off and 200 rebate.
Plus they throw in free shipping etc.

You get a 17" LCD, 1 gig , 3.6 Pent 4 , DVD burner, speakers, printer
The graphics card is OK but wimpy for games. You can choose differnt
options of course. Id probably want to get my own speakers and
printer but they are included in this config. You can go through it
and add and subtract your own options. You could back off a bit on the
processor 3.4 instead and get a 6800 graphics card for gaming
performance.

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/bask...9&itemtype=CFG

Old January 8th 05, 02:39 PM
kony

wrote:

Hi, there,

I have $1500 budget to build my DELL computer, could be a desktop or a
workstation (desktop seems more reasonable to me under this budget). I
will use it mainly for the computation, so the CPU power will be the
most important thing (memory the second). Also I need a good (not
necessary excellent) graphics card to display some images. Monitor can
be 17'' LCD one.

Can you give me some suggestions about the configuration and the model
of the computer, especially if you know some deals around? Thanks in
advance.

The correct system for "raw computing" is nothing that Dell
sells. Dell uses only Intel, which hasn't been as fast at
raw computing on _PCs_ for several years, and fell even
further behind with the release of Intel Prescott, and even
further behind when AMD released the Athlon 64. Now, if you
were talking about specific applications optimized for SSE3,
then Intel may have a few offerings to fit the bill, but
still that can't be generalized, the benchmarks for those
uses would have to be considered.

If you want OEM, buy from a vendor selling Athlon 64.
Old January 8th 05, 06:42 PM
Julia

It seems that it is saved in your cart and I can not log in. Could you
please kindly provide the original link? Thanks,

Old January 8th 05, 06:46 PM
Julia

Could you provide a list of vendors selling PC with Athlon 64? Thanks

Old January 8th 05, 08:59 PM
kony

On 8 Jan 2005 10:46:02 -0800, "Julia"
wrote:

Could you provide a list of vendors selling PC with Athlon 64? Thanks

Sorry but I dont' have a list handy. Dell is notible in
their sticking with Intel-only, *so far*. Many other OEMs
do carry Athlon 64, check around at any that might interest
you. I know HP does, for example,
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...SA4000Z_series
Old January 9th 05, 12:01 AM

On 8 Jan 2005 10:42:18 -0800, "Julia" wrote:

It seems that it is saved in your cart and I can not log in. Could you
please kindly provide the original link? Thanks,

Go here and create your own account
https://membership.dell.com/DellPort...=en&cs=19&c=us

Then hit Desktop and look for the 8400 desktop rebate deal with LCD
and 1 gig ram package. It should be low around 999 or so. You can then
upgrade the CPU and add DVD burner, printer , speakers and other
options.

The big tradeoff is CPU vs graphics card.
It comes with a x300 which is OK if you arent a gamer. If you pick
the next one up the 6800 - I have this card , it vastly increases the
performance so if you wanted to you could play all the latest cutting
edge games but it adds a fair amount to the cost so you cant upgrade
the CPU as much since that also adds costs. When you pick a certain
level CPU they also recommend upgrading the type of memory which also
adds costs. Its a trade off.

Also it doesnt seem to come with speakers so you add that on for a
little cost and printer.

You cold also skimp in the other areas and get a 19" LCD. It all
depends on user preference.

The INTEL Pent 4s are certainly decent enough but most people here I
think prefer the AMDs. Im getting an AMD. However most people here
want to make it themselves and the AMDs are really good overclockers
now another thing which you probably wouldnt be interested in. Depends
on how much you want to fuss around making the system yourself. If you
dont want to AT ALL - get the DELL.

Make sure you get the rebate $200 AND the 10% off thall reduce the
1600-1700 system to your 1500 range. I think you have to spend more
than 1499 before tax to get the 10% off. If you dont get the 10% off
try this link.

http://www.coupon-kingdom.com/dell.asp

The DELL site is super slow from my end so I dont know if its just
messed up for me or for everyone.

Old January 9th 05, 04:07 AM
Trent©

On 7 Jan 2005 18:28:07 -0800, "Julia" wrote:

Hi, there,

I have $1500 budget to build my DELL computer, could be a desktop or a
workstation (desktop seems more reasonable to me under this budget). I
will use it mainly for the computation, so the CPU power will be the
most important thing (memory the second). Also I need a good (not
necessary excellent) graphics card to display some images. Monitor can
be 17'' LCD one.

Can you give me some suggestions about the configuration and the model
of the computer, especially if you know some deals around? Thanks in
advance.

You should call Dell.

Have a nice one...

Trent©

25% OFF ALL DELL ORDERS THROUGH ME! JUST CONTACT ME TO SET IT UP! I get a great discount so I'm offering all DELL orders at 25% off. All you have to do is find out what you want, and contact me. Once your payment is recieved I will give you your of BassArt32 General 0 October 13th 04 06:21 AM
Upgrade to W2k Problem with Dell PpwerEdge? Mickee General 0 October 5th 04 01:28 PM
After Xmas PC build... suggestions? Phrederick General 4 October 31st 03 01:16 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
UK laptop suggestions Richard Hayden General 2 June 24th 03 10:29 AM