dead 80x

Old June 1st 04, 09:36 AM
Rich S

Default dead 80x

"robbert" wrote in message
Hi,

My Acer Travelmate 800 (Lci) died on me, twice.
Both times the mainbord was replaced.
First it happend while playing CS.
The second time when i ran Aquamark the screen started to turn black
and back to normal again. Later while typing a mail it crashed and
died.

Should not happen i recon.

Now iīve got a whole new one but donīt dare to run any heavy 3D apps.
Anyone ever heard of travelmate 80xīs truely dieing, canīt seem to
find anything on it on the web.

I read in a post of that there are some bios problems;

/qoute
1. 4A12
Does sometime hang your system, and can't be rebooted for few hours.
Thought hardware issue, but upgrading to lower or higher version,
never had the problem. Acer didn't know what's wrong.
/qoute

...but even after a day it still wonīt do anything. Well thats not
exactly right. Num and Capslock blink once and the fan runs for about
4 seconds. Then all gets very silent.
Screen, VGA-out and speaker donīt do a thing.

Anybody ever heard of this one?

Regards,
Robbert.

Yep, we've had loads of these die, turns out there is a known fault related
to the on board ATI graphics controller, we have had multiple repairs done
on our machines, with the fault returning every two to three months, Acer
obviously haven't fixed the problem - they just keep swapping motherboards!

This issue has forced us to ensure that we never purchase Acer crap again!

Old June 8th 04, 07:25 PM
Dave

No need to be a tadger; if you had the balls to go raise a problem with them
in a decent manner, ie: force upon them that you *need* a *NEW* laptop; one
of similiar spec, or slightly higher in cost due to the ****e you've had to
put up with, then they'd give you it i'm sure. Acer replacing the
motherboard constantly isn't going to do them or you much good, so don't
just put up with it eh.

By the by's, all computer manufacturers make mistakes in their designs, it
appears this is one of those times.

"Rich S" wrote in message
news

Old June 23rd 04, 10:29 AM
Rich S

Tadger? Thanks Dave, nice of you.

The situation here is that we have purchased quite a number of Acer laptops,
some for remote users. The service from Acer has been appauling, machines
can take up to a month to be repaired etc. We are a large IT support
company, we deal with many brands including HP, IBM, Toshiba, Apple etc, and
I have never had such a poor experience compared to the one with Acer.

To cut a long story short, after proving the case with our distributor,
everything single Acer laptop we have purchase has been returned, and we
have been refunded! The replacment machines are HP, and we have yet to
experience a single failure!

So Dave, I understand that you like Acer, and you like to justify your brand
loyalty by claiming that I don't have the balls to sort Acer out? The fact
is that Acer are ****E and I would never ever recommend them, and will
continue to do my best to prevent anyone else going through the months of
crap that I have to put up with.

"Dave" wrote in message
No need to be a tadger; if you had the balls to go raise a problem with

them
in a decent manner, ie: force upon them that you *need* a *NEW* laptop;

one
of similiar spec, or slightly higher in cost due to the ****e you've had

put up with, then they'd give you it i'm sure. Acer replacing the
motherboard constantly isn't going to do them or you much good, so don't
just put up with it eh.

By the by's, all computer manufacturers make mistakes in their designs, it
appears this is one of those times.

"Rich S" wrote in message
news

Old June 26th 04, 02:37 AM
jp232

Its the truth!! Acers suck...so does support and repair facility..oh
and if you do own an Acer, expect to send it in for repairs...several
times because they won't fix it right the first time...then you have
to fight to send it back...I'll never own another Acer and tell ALL
people I know to STEER CLEAR of them!

"Dave" wrote in message
No need to be a tadger; if you had the balls to go raise a problem with

them
in a decent manner, ie: force upon them that you *need* a *NEW* laptop;

one
of similiar spec, or slightly higher in cost due to the ****e you've had

put up with, then they'd give you it i'm sure. Acer replacing the
motherboard constantly isn't going to do them or you much good, so don't
just put up with it eh.

By the by's, all computer manufacturers make mistakes in their designs, it
appears this is one of those times.

"Rich S" wrote in message
news