Floppy drive - awful noise at close down

Old October 28th 04, 11:17 PM

Default Floppy drive - awful noise at close down

Hi,

I helped a friend assemble a new pc. Windows XP, with service packs 1A
+ 2. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-8IG 1000MK

He took it home and all was ok until he tried the floppy drive, as it
would not work. I then found we had forgotten to attach the power lead
to the floppy. Floppy now reads and writes works ok, but if you use
the floppy during any session, when closing down the system it tries
to access the floppy drive. It should not have any files open at that
time but makes an awful noise trying to read a disc which is not in
the drive !!!!

I can only guess that forgetting to attach the power lead at the time
Windows XP was loaded has caused the problem. Is the system treating
the floppy as a hard disc and expects media to be present at close
down???

Tried a new floppy drive and new cable but result is exactly the same.
Also deleted the floppy drive and controller from hardware and that
did not help. BIOS is correctly set for A drive 1.4 meg.

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve ???

Thanks for any reply

Mike

Old October 29th 04, 12:31 AM

JAD,

Thanks for the reply.

Will do that first thing tomorrow.

Mike

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:50:00 -0700, "JAD"
wrote:

turn off AV scan of 'A' drive at shut down...

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
5 1/4 floppy drive microsoft General 6 April 28th 04 06:33 AM
Floppy Disk Drive Problem Eyman General 2 February 10th 04 06:37 AM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
Floppy Drive Emulator Perry Burdick General 1 August 23rd 03 06:13 PM