Visiontek Geforce 4 mx420 - Screen Width

Old November 8th 03, 07:51 PM

Default Visiontek Geforce 4 mx420 - Screen Width

I having trouble with the display being stretched wider then the physical
width of my monitor
(i.e. the left and right edges ( about 60 pixels of space on each side in
1024x768 resolution) extend off the screen edges )
and the left and right borders are warped (curved inward)
My monitor's controls have no effect on the screen size or shape (normally
they would control the display size/size).
This effect is constant from the boot screen on into windows 98se.

I've tried Visiontek's (30.82 & Nvidia's drivers (44.03 & 41.09 ).
I'm using a
VisionTek Xtasy Geforce 4 mx 420 64mb agp card
MSI KT4V Motherboard (bios & via chipset driver are upto date) w/ amd
1300mhz cpu
Creative Sound Blaster 16 PCI
Hauppauge WinTV

Help is Greatly appreciated

Old November 8th 03, 11:23 PM

Technically both, I have a KDS VS-550 and they only supply an INF file
describing it's available modes,etc., windows uses it's own drivers.
This shouldn't matter, this problem has only been occuring for the last 2
days.
The monitor is nearly 3 years old and the the geforce4 card is about a year
old.
The only new thing is the MSI KT4V motherboard (about 4 months old)

Nothing new was installed or uninstalled, I just booted and the screen width
was screwed.
At first I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and rebooted 2x with generic
drivers
and the display returned to normal, I re-installed the nvidia drivers and
after 2 reboots the problem reappeared, after that, i tried different driver
versions and
nothing restored the display again. Yesterday I formated my boot drive
and did a clean install windows 98, then the video drivers, directX 9.0a,
sound drivers wintv drivers, some plus98 utilities (for zip compression) and
games, Power DVD,the KDS INF, and after 2 or 3 reboots (after I had
done the mentioned re-installs) the problem reappeared.

I know the problem is with the video card, because the width issue is
present
as soon (during a boot) as the bios becomes active. And the times the
display
has been corrected, it's been appearant at that time(as soon as bios info
starts to be displayed during post).
And "yes", the problem effect the BIOS Setup utility also.

B wrote in message
Are you using a monitor driver from the manufacturer of your monitor or

are
you using a generic plug and play driver?

regards

s.com...

Old November 9th 03, 04:56 PM

Power down completely pop out the video card and take a common pencil eraser
and clean the contacts. Blow off the excess pencil eraser dust and reseat
the card and try it again. If the problem still continues se if you can try
this card in another PC to see if the problem is duplicated.

regards

s.com...

Old November 9th 03, 09:20 PM
STaylor

I'll try that, but that probaly won't do the trick.
After several re-install, the problem has started coming and going at random
intervals, and I've found that I can temporarily correct the display but
unplugging the monitor's power cord while my computer is running.
This only works for a few minutes, so it's probably a safe guess that my
problem is with the monitor not the video card.

B wrote in message
Power down completely pop out the video card and take a common pencil

eraser
and clean the contacts. Blow off the excess pencil eraser dust and reseat
the card and try it again. If the problem still continues se if you can

try
this card in another PC to see if the problem is duplicated.

regards

s.com...