Got replacement PNY card

Old November 21st 03, 08:11 PM
Fred

I replaced my TI4200 with a FX 5200.
The drop in performance was dramatic.
If you deal with a company like Compusa, you ask for something in the
same PRICE range. Make a stink.

I returned the 5200 and got a 5900. Dramatic increase in performance over
the 4200.

Like what was said, keep a spare. I got my 4200 back and it is my spare.
But I did get a 2 year extended warranty for the 5900.

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:09:15 +0000, m wrote:
Same problem - Ti4200 gone tits up within a year. I contacted PNY
Europe (Their website clearly states a 5-year warranty on graphics
cards) and got an RMA. I sent the card back to them.
A week later, DHL are at my door with a parcel from PNY. There's a
note explaining that they no longer produce the Ti4200, and a retail
boxed FX5600 in the box.

I really just felt the need to share.

Sorry. Should read "FX5600Ultra".

I was about to say you got a semi "downgrade", but now you have a
decent replacement.

Actually, myself and 2 others helped this guy replace his dead Ti4200.

He had bought a COmpUSA-built gaming system with the TI4200, which
failed about 6months in age... the had replaced it with a GF-5200.

He noted that there was some noticable loss of performance... but
wasnt sure since he JUST GOT IT.

We told him about how he NEEDS to have an 5600 ultra to have an "EQUAL
OR BETTER" product replacement. Thats the KEY, it cant be WORSE than
what your paid for. But CompUSA went with the logic "5200 = better
than 4200"... make sense, but they don't know **** about computers.

We gave him links showing that ONLY the 5600U was equal or faster...
it took a few visits to the store, but the manager went with it and
replaced him properly... He HAD proof of what his true replacement
was... either another TI4200 or something equal or faster.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Old November 22nd 03, 12:10 AM
Louis F. Brooks

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:47:14 -0600, Joe Bleaux wrote:

I really just felt the need to share.

First of all, PNY apparently treats its European customers better than
its US customers. Joe

Joe,

That story is close to being the same as mine. Except I am SOL because I
can not find my receipt. No receipt and you can just as well toss your
card in the sh*tter. Lifetime warranty is crap if you have no receipt. My
card is less than 6 months old, in fact has been on the market less than a
year, and they are concerned that I may not be the original owner!

Their no receipt-no warranty policy is set fast. I spoke with a
supervisor at PNY in New Jersey, he was very understanding but the policy
is from above him and their is nothing he can do. I wonder what they will
do this Christmas when folks have defective cards for Christmas gifts and
grandma did not think to save the receipt for a 300 dollar card ?

All I need is a fan and as has been mentioned, PNY does not sell fans,
in fact they will not even replace a fan at a cost to the customer. Matrox
wants 70 dollars to replace a fan on a G400, a touch steep, but at least
the offer is there.

The short of it is this.... I have bought my last PNY card, they have
lost a customer for life, not only for their cards for for all their
products as well.

Louis

Old November 22nd 03, 06:38 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:11:27 -0500, "Fred"
wrote:

I replaced my TI4200 with a FX 5200.
The drop in performance was dramatic.
If you deal with a company like Compusa, you ask for something in the
same PRICE range. Make a stink.

I returned the 5200 and got a 5900. Dramatic increase in performance over
the 4200.

Like what was said, keep a spare. I got my 4200 back and it is my spare.
But I did get a 2 year extended warranty for the 5900.

They didn't "give" to you, did they... or they gave ya credit from
your Ti4200 price towards the 5900?

yeah.. typical CompUSA = no brains usually.

Old November 22nd 03, 06:40 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:10:06 GMT, "Louis F. Brooks"
wrote:

[...]

Hope you told them to go screw themselves! Posting stuff like this
means I will repeat your story to OTHERS... about the bad service and
pricing of PNY. They really are nothing more than a 4th rate Chinese
company... deep six them.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:05 AM
Paul Brown

wrote:

[...]

For all it's worth. I have a friend that had a PNY Ti4200 go bad here
in the states a month ago. She called PNY Tech explaining it was over
a year old and that the fan stopped causing the board the not work
anymore. She also didn't have the sales slip anymore. They still
gave her a RMA number.
2 weeks later she had a new PNY Ti4200 8x at her door.

I was impressed by it and will consider them again since I have the
same card installed as I type this.

Not is all bad about PNY.

Paul
Old November 23rd 03, 10:16 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:05:36 -0600, Paul Brown wrote:

For all it's worth. I have a friend that had a PNY Ti4200 go bad here
in the states a month ago. She called PNY Tech explaining it was over
a year old and that the fan stopped causing the board the not work
anymore. She also didn't have the sales slip anymore. They still
gave her a RMA number.
2 weeks later she had a new PNY Ti4200 8x at her door.

I was impressed by it and will consider them again since I have the
same card installed as I type this.

Not is all bad about PNY.

First, shes a GIRL / FEMALE / WOMAN... Trust me, it helped.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:20 PM
Louis F. Brooks

Paul,

I do not doubt what you say, at one time PNY did handle matters this
way, but no longer. I spoke with a PNY supervisor last week, and they are
firm on the no receipt-no warranty policy.

In my case, my fortune may turn better, the assistant manager of the
Staples where I bought my card from, spent about an hour searching their
system for my purchase. He had to search with the numbers from both my
credit card and debit card, but, he did find the purchase and made me a
copy of the receipt. I purchase a fair amount of goods at Staples and
their customer service is one of the reasons I continue to shop there.

Now that I have a receipt, I will call the PNY supervisor back, and get
an RMA. My problem with PNY is their inflexibility. My card was purchased
in August of 2003, has not been on the market for even a year, has a bad
fan and PNY is locked into their 'Catch-22' thought process. I feel that
their tech support and policy should have considered the facts and assumed
that it was highly probable that I was the original owner and then given
me an RMA.

Yes, they will send me a new card now, they don't replace fans as it has
been the experience of PNY techs that the GPU is damaged as well so they
just replace the entire card. But this experience has left a somewhat
bitter taste in my mouth for PNY and I just do not see the possibility of
me ever buying their product again.

If someone needs a fan or alternate cooling solutions for graphic cards
or other components they can try the following two links ...

www.siliconeacoustics.com

www.tennmax.com

Louis