About the AGP bus

Old December 20th 04, 03:27 PM
NSA

Default About the AGP bus

Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP cards for
how many time?

Thanks in advance, Silva

Old December 20th 04, 05:09 PM
deimos

NSA wrote:
Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP cards for
how many time?

Thanks in advance, Silva

I think I get what he's asking.

To the best of my knowledge, NVIDIA is committted to AGP for at least
2005. Right now we're going through a transition period like when PCI
was overtaken by AGP.

ATI is a little different, since they actually do build their own cards
and sell the design as well. I'm not sure how much they have invested
in legacy formats. I would think they'd exploit any gap NVIDIA leaves
by jumping to PCI-E sooner.

Since NVIDIA only sells the design and has a full bridge chip for PCI-E,
they can simply make any new design they want and it's up to OEM's and
graphics card manufacturers to complete the design.

Manufacturers have always had great leeway with design interpretation,
anything within the NVIDIA component QA program, AGP or not would
qualify. Since the FX though, most manufacturers have stuck to a strict
reference design and customized only the heatsink/cooling solution, with
obvious exceptions like the "5900ZT" or 64-bit bus alterations.

Overall, I think you'll see NVIDIA very rapidly promote PCI-E as _THE_
solution to a lot of problems, including bandwidth, multiple cards
(SLI), power, cost, and unified video/system memory coming back with the
TurboCache idea for low cost OEM PC's.
Old December 20th 04, 08:20 PM
YanquiDawg

Probably a couple more years.There are millions of AGP motherboards out there
and they are still being made.

Old December 21st 04, 01:50 AM
RaceFace

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Probably a couple more years.There are millions of AGP motherboards out
there
and they are still being made.

Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP cards
for
how many time?

I agree - it will be at least a year before other cards such as sound cards,
network cards, and the like are out in PCIe format in any quantity. It will
be that long before there are even any graphics cards that will utilize the
potential bandwidth of PCIe, anyway. There'll still be AGP cards around for
a while yet. At least a couple years.

Old December 21st 04, 02:56 AM
McGrandpa

"RaceFace" wrote in message

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Probably a couple more years.There are millions of AGP motherboards
out there
and they are still being made.

Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP
cards for
how many time?

I agree - it will be at least a year before other cards such as sound
cards, network cards, and the like are out in PCIe format in any
quantity. It will be that long before there are even any graphics
cards that will utilize the potential bandwidth of PCIe, anyway.
There'll still be AGP cards around for a while yet. At least a
couple years.

But more likely, the top end cards will all be PCIx, and mid to low
range cards for AGP.
McG.

Old December 21st 04, 04:55 AM
J. Clarke

McGrandpa wrote:

"RaceFace" wrote in message

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Probably a couple more years.There are millions of AGP motherboards
out there
and they are still being made.

Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP
cards for
how many time?

I agree - it will be at least a year before other cards such as sound
cards, network cards, and the like are out in PCIe format in any
quantity. It will be that long before there are even any graphics
cards that will utilize the potential bandwidth of PCIe, anyway.
There'll still be AGP cards around for a while yet. At least a
couple years.

But more likely, the top end cards will all be PCIx, and mid to low
range cards for AGP.

PCI-E. Not PCIX, despite nvidia's "PCX" brand name. PCIX is a 64-bit
parallel bus that can accept regular PCI boards. It is different from PCI
Express.

McG.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 21st 04, 04:57 AM
J. Clarke

RaceFace wrote:

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Probably a couple more years.There are millions of AGP motherboards out
there
and they are still being made.

Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP cards
for
how many time?

I agree - it will be at least a year before other cards such as sound
cards,
network cards, and the like are out in PCIe format in any quantity. It
will be that long before there are even any graphics cards that will
utilize the
potential bandwidth of PCIe, anyway. There'll still be AGP cards around
for
a while yet. At least a couple years.

However new high performance motherboards that support AGP are going to be
increasingly rare. Intel has dropped AGP support from their new chipsets
entirely and nvidia, via, and sis seem to be following their lead.

Old December 21st 04, 07:30 AM
RaceFace

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
However new high performance motherboards that support AGP are going to be
increasingly rare. Intel has dropped AGP support from their new chipsets
entirely and nvidia, via, and sis seem to be following their lead.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Already? Wow. Ok with me though - unless my system blows up (knock wood)
I'm fine for another couple years before I need to think about upgrading.

Old December 21st 04, 08:47 AM
McGrandpa

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

McGrandpa wrote:

"RaceFace" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, right. Thanks Of course I didn't know that.

Old December 21st 04, 02:51 PM
John Russell

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
RaceFace wrote:

[...]

It makes sense to them to make people think they have to have PCI-e now.
System builders are building systems from scratch and don't have to worry
about users wanting to use some of their current build. Untill PCI-E is
proven, reliable and actually produces significantly better performance than
AGP systems there is no reason to see PCI-e as a "must have".

And anyway we've heard all this before from Intel about AGP. Improving the
speed of using "system memory" is not that important as graphics cards get
more and more fast onboard memory. A graphics card which users AGPx8 without
accessing system memory is better than a PCI-e card which does.