nVidia F*cked

Old September 11th 03, 08:09 PM
chainbreaker

The Robot wrote:
When HL2 is out, and 9600Pro owners report good things, and 5600Ultra
users report bad things, then we'll all know.

What? That Valve coded it to work ****ty with anything but ATI cards?
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Old September 11th 03, 08:14 PM
Lee Marsh

The Robot wrote:
| When HL2 is out, and 9600Pro owners report good things, and 5600Ultra
| users report bad things, then we'll all know.

Just out of curiosity "The Robot" what system do you have, and do you
think I should sell my 5900 Ultra to get a 9800 Pro

Old September 11th 03, 08:46 PM
JC

shhhhhhhhhhhh!!
no one is supposed to know about that ;-)

JC

Old September 11th 03, 08:46 PM
who be dat?

I'll tell you what will be interesting. Install these new drivers then
install the benchmark. Run the benchmark as is, then rename the EXE and
rerun to compare the results. Heck, for that matter, run the benchmark then
run the game tell me if the results are comparable. I can hear it now: "I
can run the benchmark with everything maxed out at 1152*864 but the game
wont' run above 1024*768 unless I turn a lot of eye candy off. WTF?!"
hehehe

My personal opinion is that FX card owners need to file a class action
lawsuit against Nvidia. However, Nvidia owners seem to be the type of
people who will take whatever **** is shoveled at them and just sit back and
take it. Pathetic bunch of suckers. I hope you enjoyed giving Nvidia your
money. I'm sure they enjoyed taking it.

Chris Smith

"The Robot" wrote in message
.. .

So what? Surely Nvidia will release new drivers to optimize Half-Life 2
?

Excellent, we all look forward to unlimited frame rates from an FX5200.

Not.

Out of interest, what sort of improvment do you expect to see from this
driver rewrite? 10%, 30%, 200%?

I eagerly await your answer.

Old September 11th 03, 09:16 PM
The Robot

I have:

ASUS A7N2X Deluxe v2.0 nForce2 Mobo
512MB 333MHz Crucial DDR (should have spent the extra and got 400MHz -
f*ck!)
Athlon XP 1800 (Plan to replace with Barton 2500, and overclock to XP3200)
Crappy 17GB + 10GB drives (Plan to replace with SATA as soon as I need the
space)
MSI 128MB Ti4800SE (replaced by MSI when Ti4400 went poof)

When I get the Barton, it looks like I'l get the HL2 DX8 framerates in the
THW acticle. At that point I'll consider the 9600Pro or above.

It's quite early to say whether you should sell the 5900 Ultra, but now is
the best time, before eBay potentially fills up with them.

The Crucial 9800Pro is almost a giveaway, but I'm sure that the proceeds of
your sale would easily give you access to the best 9800Pro cards on the
market.

In short, sell the *******.

Old September 11th 03, 09:19 PM
The Robot

What? That Valve coded it to work ****ty with anything but ATI cards?

That is potentially true. However, when we get a few more DX9 games out
there, we'll know the answer.

We'll also know whether nVidia lied their asses off and misled everyone by
optimising their drivers for 3DMark2003.

Old September 11th 03, 09:22 PM
The Robot

My personal opinion is that FX card owners need to file a class action
lawsuit against Nvidia.

I think you're right.

Based on the pure performance of the 5900Ultra in 3dMark03, most people
would choose the nVidia card given access to the funds.

If gaming turns out to be a different story, then some people are going to
be mightily ****ed.

Old September 11th 03, 10:19 PM
Derek Wildstar

"The Robot" wrote in message
.. .
http://www20.tomshardware.com/busine...911/index.html

Notice both the Tom's Hardware and the ATI banners, prominently displayed in
the the images accompanying the text.

Therefore any anti-nvidia commentary is clearly marketing driven, factual or
not. You can't have meaningful discussion from such a platform.

If the technical issues are so compelling, why drape the flags of the
'founding funders' over the podium.

Old September 11th 03, 10:58 PM
Anders Albrechtsen

"JC" wrote in message
And how does that confirm it ? by possibly showing valve is kissing ATI's
ass and one is better of with a an ATI card because because of the

aliances
it makes ?

Rubbish! Similar performance figures are evident in Tomb Raider Angel of
Darkness where ATI's R3xx cards smoke NVidia's FX cards when using advanced
Pixelshader 2.0 effects. And no, this game isn't "ATI optimized", but is in
fact listed on nVidia's "The way it's meant to be played" website. The real
problem is that nVidia oviously chose the wrong DirectX 9 approach. Get over
it and move on.
---
Anders