Very strange font size problem

Old October 5th 07, 01:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mill

Default Very strange font size problem

My parents have two computers (both XP) on their home network.
Dad's xp machine is directly connected to HP OfficeJet
5610 AIO via USB. Mom's computer is wireless off the router
and shares Dad's printer. They both use AOL (I can't
get them to change). When Dad prints an email from
that web-based system, the font is about size 12 and very legible.

Using the same test email and printing from both computers, it turns
out larger printing from Dad's computer.

I have tried two resolution settings (800x600 and 1024x768) on Mom's
computer,
and when she prints, the font is too small (about size 8).
They both use the Show Print (not sure if this is exactly wording) option on
the AOL
page so that only the email is shown. Then they print. (At any rate, they
are both
using the same process to print.)

I even tried changing the resolution on Mom's machine to custom large font
150% of
normal so it was very large on her screen,
but when I did that, the printer reduced the size of the
font to maybe a 5 or so.

What is going on????

thanks

Old October 5th 07, 10:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

"Mill" wrote:
[...]

The strange thing is that the font is printed smaller when the screen font is
bigger.....I can't work that one out.
When the printer was installed on your Mom's PC, was it installed using the CD
or was it installed "across the network" using the add printer wizard and
browsing for the printer on your Dad's PC? If the former then I would uninstall
the printer on Mom's PC using the HP uninstaller, now go to the Printer Applet
(Mom's PC) in Control Panel, click on File, Server properties, Drivers, select
any and all drivers that refer to the printer and click Remove. Now re-install
the printer on Mom's PC using the Add Printer and browse across network option.
If that doesn't fix it, go to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...1 125&lang=en
Check if the driver is newer than the one on the CD, I suspect it won't be
because of the age of the driver but if it is you will need to download the
later driver ( HP Full/Express software and drivers: No Network Support) don't
worry about the lack of network support since this is a peer to peer install,
uninstall the printer from both PC's (same method as above), unplug the printer
from the PC, reinstall the printer on Dad's PC (from your CD or the web page if
newer) plug in the cable only when asked to and then on Mom's PC across the
network. A reasonable amount of work unfortunately. Now download the Patch and
the critical updates from the same website and install them on Dad's PC, you
may have to install them on both PC's.
The change in font sizes just may indicate a problem with one of the PC's but
hopefully it is a corrupted driver in one of them.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging