Acer Aspire 5100 notebook takes 8 hours to defrag

Old August 11th 07, 05:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Frank White

Default Acer Aspire 5100 notebook takes 8 hours to defrag

Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.

Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.

Thanks

..
Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

Old August 11th 07, 09:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
ctowers

Frank White wrote:
Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.

Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.

Thanks

.
Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the time it
takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many articles that have
been written on the subject and a good place to start might be the Microsoft
web site. I've been using a versatile utility called ScanDefrag that I've
had good success with, but I schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to
shutdown the computer when it finishes.
--
_ct_

Old August 12th 07, 06:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Frank White

I guess I will have to do that. I seems odd however that with the out
of the box software configuration, even before I touched it, It took
excessively long to do this task.
The more I added the worse it became as expected, but not to this
extent.

Old August 12th 07, 11:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
ctowers

If you do use the ScanDefrag utility, the log will list any processes that
are running. Also, it may take longer just because it has not been defraged
before. Good luck.
--
_ct_