CMOS/BIOS wiped in Leadtek k7ncr18d pro

Old November 22nd 04, 03:01 AM
weade

Default CMOS/BIOS wiped in Leadtek k7ncr18d pro

Need to update the bios in my mobo. Winfast wouldn't run. Kept
getting errors that the program had to exit as soon as it started.
Looked on the Leadtek site and they recommended that you could also
use awdflash.exe as long as you used a version after 8.23h. I found
version 8.24B and tried that from a Win9x boot disk. Program started
and asked to backup the current bios. I backed it up to disk and
selected the file with the new bios. The program told me that it was
not a valid file and exited. When I tried to reboot the system in to
Win XP, the bios tells me that it needs a bios and goes straight to
the A drive. I tell it to load the old bios from the backup file. It
starts to load and then the screen just goes blank. I wait a few
minutes (go to kitchen, eat something, make a phone call) and nothing
happens, no changes on the screen in any way. Finally, I hit the
reboot button and when it comes back up, nothing happens, ever.

I believe the bios in the system is no longer valid or corrupt. I've
sent to Leadtek for information on how to repair this, but I'm not
feeling too good about the kind of response I can expect. Any experts
out there with an idea of how I can reload the bios into something
that won't even boot?

Thanks,
D. Weade
Old November 22nd 04, 07:53 PM
weade

Well, as a follow-up, Leadtek called me back today and has told me
that I can reprogram the bios if I have access to the proper equipment
and know a programmer (since I am not one). They will be sending me
instructions on how to do this or I can send them the board which they
will flash for me for free, all I have to pay is shipping. I've read
some poor reviews of their support, but I have to say that if they
send the instructions and do this for free, this will be the best
support I've had since I bought in-home service on my first computer.

D. Weade