sata driver for acer aspire 7720 laptop

Old January 26th 08, 05:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

Default sata driver for acer aspire 7720 laptop

Hello.

When I try to install xp next to the current vista installation, and I
boot the xp cd, it says it can't recognize the disk. I've googled a
bit and found out I probably need a sata driver for xp.
I can't find it however at the acer website. Does anyone know where to
obtain suitable drivers for the sata disk so xp will be able to
recognize it?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help, Niek
Old January 26th 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

On 26 jan, 18:45, sobriquet wrote:
Hello.

When I try to install xp next to the current vista installation, and I
boot the xp cd, it says it can't recognize the disk. I've googled a
bit and found out I probably need a sata driver for xp.
I can't find it however at the acer website. Does anyone know where to
obtain suitable drivers for the sata disk so xp will be able to
recognize it?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help, Niek

I think I found it... but I'm not sure...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...&submit=Los%21

(same as http://tinyurl.com/36ghoh )

If anyone thinks this is wrong or knows a more appropriate version I'd
love to hear about it.
Presumably, I can switch Sata mode from AHCI to IDE, install xp,
install the sata driver and switch back from IDE to AHCI to avoid the
more complicated approach of slipstreaming the driver into a newly
compiled xp cd.
Will report back if everything goes as planned.

Old January 27th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

On 26 jan, 19:40, "doS" wrote:
you shouldnt have to have a sata driver.xp has it.

I'm fairly sure it doesn't. I've found many people out there online on
discussion forums and they all encountered this problem when they try
to downgrade from vista to xp or add an xp installation to a vista
computer (on a separate partition).
Old January 27th 08, 03:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

On 26 jan, 23:01, Ralph2 wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:45:00 -0800 (PST), sobriquet

wrote:

Hello.

When I try to install xp next to the current vista installation, and I
boot the xp cd, it says it can't recognize the disk. I've googled a
bit and found out I probably need a sata driver for xp.
I can't find it however at the acer website. Does anyone know where to
obtain suitable drivers for the sata disk so xp will be able to
recognize it?

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help, Niek

I think you are approaching the wrong problem. Windows XP overwrites
the *Vista boot record and thus screws itself up. . Have a read from
this link...http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Ralph

Yeah I know. That's the method I use. Previously it worked ok on a
dell laptop, but it has a scsi disk. With a sata disk like in the
acer, it's more complicated.
One method is switching from AHCI to IDE in the bios, install xp,
install the sata driver and switch it back to AHCI. The other method
is slipstreaming the drivers into the xp installation disk (loading
the drivers during setup with F6 is complicated when you have no
floppy drive available).
Old January 27th 08, 04:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

wrote:

[...]

floppy drive available).- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Update... the method to switch from AHCI to IDE and back failed
miserably.
I couldn't find a driver that would install under xp.
Then I tried slipstreaming the aforementioned driver in this thread
with nLite and that works wonderfully. So I can just keep the sata
mode set to AHCI and install xp with the drivers slipstreamed into the
installation cd.
Now the next step (see other thread about specifications) is to obtain
all suitable drivers for xp.
Old February 2nd 08, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
wildwolf

-
wrote:-
--
Hello.--
--
[...]

Hi,

I created a splipstreamed CD without any trouble, but can you please
assist me with the following, as I'm having the same exact problem with
installing XP on a Acer 7720:

1. What storage driver do I need to use with that system, so that the
hard drive shows up when installing XP?

2. What location on the CD would I put the extracted driver once I
have it?

--
wildwolf
Old February 3rd 08, 03:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
sobriquet

-
wrote:-
--
Hello.--
--
[...]

If you use nLite, you just point the application to the location on
disk where
the drivers are and it will put the drivers inside the installation cd
at the proper
location so you can burn the installation cd again to obtain a version
that includes the proper drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...&submit=Los%21

On that page I would use the 2nd small download (293 KB) to obtain the
drivers.