Dumping Vista for XP

Old January 23rd 08, 07:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Superunknown

Default Dumping Vista for XP

I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
softwares don't work either.
I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
doing this?
Thank you much for your time

Galina
Old January 23rd 08, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
HH

BEFORE downgrading your OS, check the Acer website and be sure they have XP
drivers for all of the hardware on the notebook.
Do not assume the Vista drivers will work under XP. Many will not.

HH

Old January 24th 08, 02:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

On Jan 23, 1:05*pm, Superunknown ?@? wrote:
I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
anymore. It sends you tohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607that
explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
softwares don't work either.
I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
doing this?
Thank you much for your time

Galina

You might want to read this before doing anything.. yes, it is long
but deals specifically with the 5315.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...08#post8485508
Old January 24th 08, 12:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
occam[_2_]

Good advice, except the first sentence should read "BEFORE /upgrading/
your OS....". XP SP2 (and the fortcoming SP3) are definite UPGRADES to
Vista.

--Never Acer Again --

Old January 24th 08, 12:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
HH

Manufacturers consider it "downgrading," thus do not support it. If you dump
Vista for XP, you lose Acer software support completely. Don't call them
with XP issues on a unit that shipped with Vista.

HH

Old January 24th 08, 01:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Superunknown

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:20:08 -0500, "HH"
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:59:27 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:55:18 GMT, Ralph2
wrote:

Thank you thank you thank you! :-)
Good-by to Vista crap.

Galina
Old January 25th 08, 01:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
doS

there are several diff camera drivers...download the zip and extract to
desktop, uninstall camera in device manager and reboot.then broswe to folder
to install the drivers...

"Ralph2" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:05:21 -0500, Superunknown ?@? wrote:

I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
softwares don't work either.
I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
doing this?
Thank you much for your time

Galina

I have an Aspire 5630 and was similarly impressed with Vista. My
solution... go dual boot.
I did a restore of the operating system as it was supplied from the
factory.. Then installed XP on a second partition,,, but not without
help from http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp With Vista
installed first you must jump through a lot of hoops but it is
possible and works really well
Do not expect any help from Acer. They do have a lot of drivers etc
available for download... The "only" driver issue that I have not been
able to resolve is my camera. When I try to use it I get an error
message to the effect that it needs to be plugged in. but I can make
it work from selecting it in an Explorer folder tree.. Again I got NO
support from Acer on this. Their stock answer is we will support the
configuration that we sold.. period!
Good luck
Ralph