MSI 8500GT ($99.99) and 8600GTS ($189.99) are up on ZipzoomFly @ 10PM Pacific Time 16 April.

Old April 17th 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
John Lewis

Default MSI 8500GT ($99.99) and 8600GTS ($189.99) are up on ZipzoomFly @ 10PM Pacific Time 16 April.

IN STOCK

See:-

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327726

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327724

John Lewis
Old April 17th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
johns

These are dx10 cards ?? Meaning what ? I read that the 8800s
are also dx10, but not compatible with dx10 in Vista. nVidia
is not known for being honest about card ratings, or sales
"ploys", so you never know what you are getting until you
get it, and compare it yourself. The eVGA 7950 was reported
to be somewhat lesser of a card than the 7900 GTO. I have
both now, and the 7950 kicks the 7900s butt by 20% in
benchmarks. The eVGA 7950 KO is $219 at Mwave, and
the drivers are actually working for it. The 8800s are still
in the high $300s, and their drivers are crap. Benching the
7900GS in Vista shows that card to be very well behaved
.... at least in Vista. Games like Gothic 3 demo run great.

johns

Old April 17th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
John Lewis

On 17 Apr 2007 09:08:10 -0700, johns wrote:

These are dx10 cards ?? Meaning what ? I read that the 8800s
are also dx10, but not compatible with dx10 in Vista.

Really !? Indeed... I wonder where you picked up that gem of
information ?

I wonder what Crytek has been using for the past nine months or so to
validate Crysis in Dx10 (and Vista, of course).... since the 8800
series, and now the 8600 and 8500, are the ONLY Dx10-compatible cards
in existence? Maybe Crytek are using the water-cooled R600 alpha
prototypes from Ati(AMD) instead... huh ??

According to you Crysis will never come out, so no doubt you will
justify your twisted view of reality with regard to Dx10 compatibility
with nV cards that way.

BTW, on the subject of Crysis and Dx10, I refer you to the following:-

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/gam...12007.wmv.html

and for your further amusement with regard to this non-existent (in
your alternate reality) game:-

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/gam...ation.avi.html

BTW, since in your alternate reality, Crysis will never exist, then I
am so glad then that you will NEVER be acquiring the game and posting
your usual spate of (alternate reality) spoilers on these newsgroups.
Your Gothic spoilers were classic fud. You still have zero idea how to
play an RPG.

John Lewis

Old April 18th 07, 05:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
pc games

On Apr 17, 5:27 am, (John Lewis) wrote:
IN STOCK

See:-

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327726

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327724

John Lewis

Any AGP editions planned?
Don't tell me... your reply will be "throw away what you have and buy
a total new PC" when mine is running perfectly including all the games
released so far

But specially what I want to know is how do these new cards fair
against the 7th generation when it comes to DX9 under WinXP?
Will these cards run faster DX9 games under WinXP? or will they run
slower than the 7th or even 6th generation?
I'm asking this cause these new cards are hybrid DX9/DX10 so probably
the DX9 part is weaker than the previous generations and they are only
"optimized" for DX10 under Vista.
I'm only speculating

Old April 18th 07, 07:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
John Lewis

On 17 Apr 2007 21:50:18 -0700, pc games
wrote:

On Apr 17, 5:27 am, (John Lewis) wrote:
IN STOCK

See:-

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327726

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327724

John Lewis

Any AGP editions planned?

Don't know. But no real reason why the 8600GTS can't physically be
paired with nVidia's PCIe to AGP bridge chip, if the demand for AGP
system-upgrades in the $100-$200 range is still there. However the
higher-end 8800 series will never be available in an AGP form. No
demand. And for the sub-$100 cards, no AGP either because of the
cost-burden of the interface chip.

Don't tell me... your reply will be "throw away what you have and buy
a total new PC" when mine is running perfectly including all the games
released so far

But specially what I want to know is how do these new cards fair
against the 7th generation when it comes to DX9 under WinXP?
Will these cards run faster DX9 games under WinXP? or will they run
slower than the 7th or even 6th generation?
I'm asking this cause these new cards are hybrid DX9/DX10 so probably
the DX9 part is weaker than the previous generations and they are only
"optimized" for DX10 under Vista.
I'm only speculating

... and you are wrong as usual.....

well, just read the reports and study the performance graphs and
figures in the reviews on www.anandtech.com and www.techreport.com.
Give you all the comparative information that you need. DX9/XP on
Anandtech, DX9/Vista-64 on TechReport.

John Lewis

Old April 18th 07, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
noman

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:27:12 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

IN STOCK

See:-

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327726

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327724

These are the weakest mid-range nVidia release in years. 6600GT was an
incredibly successful card and 7600GT was not bad either.

8600GT is slower in most games when compared to similarly priced
X1950Pro (and also X1900XT and 7900GT on bargain), especially when
going above 1280x1024.

8800GTS 320meg is a much better card. Buy.com is selling it for
$220-230 after rebate.

AMD now has the opportunity to hit back in the mid-range market with
their RV630 and RV610 based cards. The next month will be interesting.
--
Noman
Old April 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
johns

I'm not buying jack ( for me ) until Crysis comes out, and
actually works. Heh!

johns

Old April 19th 07, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
John Lewis

wrote:

IN STOCK

See:-

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327726

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=327724

These are the weakest mid-range nVidia release in years. 6600GT was an
incredibly successful card and 7600GT was not bad either.

8600GT is slower in most games when compared to similarly priced
X1950Pro (and also X1900XT and 7900GT on bargain), especially when
going above 1280x1024.

8800GTS 320meg is a much better card. Buy.com is selling it for
$220-230 after rebate.

AMD now has the opportunity to hit back in the mid-range market with
their RV630 and RV610 based cards. The next month will be interesting.
--
Noman

Ah, you missed something. One of the major target market for these
graphics cards is the rapidly-expanding HTPC market. Both the G84 and
G86 have the most comprehensive video decoding hardware of any GPU
silicon to date - thus requiring a very modest (ie inexpensive and
cool) CPU. And the G84/8600GT/S has built in HDCP covering both DVI
outputs, which are also BOTH dual-link.

BTW, the 8600GTS is no slouch. Roughly equivalent in performance to
my trusty 7800GTX/256meg which is still giving me great service. (For
gaming, I run my equally-trusty 20" CRT @ 1280x960x85Hz with modest AA
and Aniso cranked in, CPU 4400+ Toledo o/c ). I will be upgrading my
system towards the end of 2007, when Nvidia will be on their
second-gen 8800 variants and Penryn quad-cores are coming on-line.

John Lewis

Old April 19th 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
noman

wrote:

These are the weakest mid-range nVidia release in years. 6600GT was an
incredibly successful card and 7600GT was not bad either.

8600GT is slower in most games when compared to similarly priced
X1950Pro (and also X1900XT and 7900GT on bargain), especially when
going above 1280x1024.

8800GTS 320meg is a much better card. Buy.com is selling it for
$220-230 after rebate.

AMD now has the opportunity to hit back in the mid-range market with
their RV630 and RV610 based cards. The next month will be interesting.

Ah, you missed something. One of the major target market for these
graphics cards is the rapidly-expanding HTPC market. Both the G84 and
G86 have the most comprehensive video decoding hardware of any GPU
silicon to date

In that regards, the new HD 2000 series from AMD has even more
features. Besides the H.264 decoding (and dual video streams at the
same time) it'd handle audio (5.1 surround) through HDMI, as well.

If someone is especially interested in looking at HTPC features, then
it makes even more sense to wait till the RV610/RV630 arrive.

BTW, the 8600GTS is no slouch. Roughly equivalent in performance to
my trusty 7800GTX/256meg which is still giving me great service.

That's great. But like I said, for the same price you can buy graphic
cards which perform better in most games. And for $30-40 more, you can
buy top of the line 8800GTS 320meg which'd make a world of difference
in games, while having the same HTPC capabilities.

There's absolutely no reason to buy 8500/8600 cards right now. Pretty
much all the online reviews have said the same thing, as well.
--
Noman
Old April 19th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
John Lewis

wrote:

[...]

You are in for a little surprise. Do not believe all that is written
about these particular unreleased products......

John Lewis