Compaq hard drive help

Old June 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
Follow homepage to email me

Default Compaq hard drive help

I was given three Compaq 36G hard drives by someone. They're 7200 RPM,
Ultra Wide SCSI, model AA03631AC6. That plus a 9G Wide Ultra SCSI3, part
number 313706-B21, model MAB3091SC.

All four seem to not want to be formatted properly or have Windows install
all the way. I've checked the FAQ, went through the links mentioned in
there, and read through this newsgroup for anything pertaining to me, but
found nothing.

I was also given the SMART-2 /P SCSI controller, part number 194754-001.

My question here is do the drives require the Compaq controller to work
properly? I've put them on an Adaptec 2940 controller card. The Adaptec
doesn't find anything wrong it seems, and Spinrite doesn't go all the way
through on them.

Am I missing anything or are these drives a toasty paperweight?
Old June 3rd 05, 01:59 AM
Ben Myers

I'm not sure if SpinRite is the right utility. The original drive
manufacturer's diagnostics (Seagate? Quantum? IBM? Fujitsu? Hitachi?) would
be a better test.

I'm not sure if an Adaptec 2940 is right, either. If these drives are low
voltage differential (LVD), then you need a SCSI host adapter that supports LVD,
like the Adaptec 29160. Some drives operate in either LVD or single-ended mode,
usually set via a jumper. Check the specs on the drives... Ben Myers

Old June 9th 05, 12:50 AM
Follow homepage to email me

In article , Ben Myers wrote:

I'm not sure if an Adaptec 2940 is right, either. If these drives are low
voltage differential (LVD), then you need a SCSI host adapter that
supports LVD, like the Adaptec 29160. Some drives operate in either LVD
or single-ended mode, usually set via a jumper. Check the specs on the
drives... Ben Myers

The 36G drives are ultra-wide SCSIs, same with the 9G, though UW SCSI3.
The Adaptec I mentioned was the 2940U2W, which supports the SCSI3s and
LVD/SE drives. I've got a Symbios controller, though the drives do the
same on it. I've got the adapter card that converts from HD68 to the
drive's plugs.

In the meantime, I'll be playing around with the drives a bit more using
the manufacturer's diagnostic utilities.

Any other suggestions or have I done everything?