Nvidia drivers seem to get corrupted over 2 week period

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 5th 03, 03:25 AM
Stuart M

Default Nvidia drivers seem to get corrupted over 2 week period

I have a weird and intermittent problem that I guess comes from my nvidia
drivers.

After about 2 weeks of normal use, my pc will boot up Windows (Win98SE) with
a lower refresh rate and/or a lower resolution. Sometimes I can reboot
Windows and the problem will temporarily fix itself, restoring the proper
refresh rate. Eventually though it will get to the stage where Windows will
not boot, and I think it is failing at the display adaptor initialization.
Then, Windows will only boot in safe mode.

At this point, I uninstall the nvidia drivers, install the standard pci vga
graphics adaptor, then reinstall the nvidia drivers, and then everything
works perfectly! But, in 2 weeks time the cycle will start again, as if the
drivers get gradually corrupted over a 2 week period forcing me to reinstall
them.

I've tried lots of things but can't seem to track the problem. I've tried
quite a few different detonator versions - new versions, old and supposedly
reliable versions, the version that came with the card, etc etc. The same
thing happens every time.

My setup is an Athlon 2400+, Shuttle mobo (latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers),
Geforce4 ti4200, Win98SE (fully updated).

Can anyone help me?

tia,
Stuart.