Re My second mobo GA-8KNXP Ultra rev 2.0 died

Old December 20th 04, 06:32 PM

Default Re My second mobo GA-8KNXP Ultra rev 2.0 died

My second mobo GA-8KNXP Ultra rev 2.0 died

I have to agree that it is probably underpowered, especially when we don't
know what video card you are using. It's too bad that guys like Greg
Vederman of PC Gamer magazine are still recommending 300W power supplies in
both low-end and mid-range gaming computers. I could not do as such in good
conscience.

The video card Radeon 9200 256MB DDR TVO

I contacted Gigabyte to day and asked them about the power supply. The 300W could be a problem. Anyway im going to buy an at least 450W pwr supply.

And the best news is the mobo is already on its way to gigabyte for repairs
It should be back in 7-9 days )

Thanks for all your info
Herman

Old December 21st 04, 12:37 AM
Kris Vorwerk

When I setup my 8KNXP rev 1 system (about a year and a half ago), I
summed up the max current draw on the 5V and 12V rails for each of the 3
hard drives that I was planning on getting, as well as my vid card
(GeForce 5600), CPU (P4 2.8GHz), and RAM (2GB OCZ CAS-2).

I found that most cheaper 350W power supplies could not supply
sufficient current on the 5/12V lines. In the end (and with advice from
Tom's Hardware), I went with an Antec case & 430W power supply. I
haven't had any problems, so I'm happy.

On a side note: I've also found that the 8KNXP's default DIMM voltage
(at 2.5V) is 0.1V under OCZ's minimum spec. To keep my system stable, I
set the DIMM voltage to "+0.2V". Also, the software monitor for my
GeForce 5600 graphics card complains occasionally that the AGP voltage
is under spec (it tends to hover around ~1.4V) -- so, I keep the AGP
voltage set to "+0.1V", and all is fine.

cheers,
Kris