Insprion speakers mute after standby

Old October 11th 04, 01:49 PM
Special Ed

Default Insprion speakers mute after standby

After resuming from Standby, no sound comes from the built in speakers in my
Inspiron 1100. The headphone jack works normally but not the speakers.

The volume control /speaker settings from the keyboard are right and all the
sound and audio settings from the control panel are right too-- just no
speaker sound. After a cold reboot however, the sound returns to normal!

This is a new problem and started suddenly. I'm running WIN XP Pro and have
not added/deleted any software.

Any ideas cause/fix?

Edw.

Old October 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Special Ed

"WSZsr" wrote in message
news

"Special Ed" wrote in message
. net...
After resuming from Standby, no sound comes from the built in speakers in
my Inspiron 1100. The headphone jack works normally but not the speakers.

The volume control /speaker settings from the keyboard are right and all
the sound and audio settings from the control panel are right too-- just
no speaker sound. After a cold reboot however, the sound returns to
normal!

This is a new problem and started suddenly. I'm running WIN XP Pro and
have not added/deleted any software.

Any ideas cause/fix?

Edw.

Try reinstalling the audio drivers. See if there are updated drivers at
Dell.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that-- but there's still no speaker
sound after powering up from Standby...

Edw.

Old October 12th 04, 06:20 PM
Special Ed

"Special Ed" wrote in message
.net...
"WSZsr" wrote in message
news

"Special Ed" wrote in message
. net...
After resuming from Standby, no sound comes from the built in speakers
in my Inspiron 1100. The headphone jack works normally but not the
speakers.

The volume control /speaker settings from the keyboard are right and all
the sound and audio settings from the control panel are right too-- just
no speaker sound. After a cold reboot however, the sound returns to
normal!

This is a new problem and started suddenly. I'm running WIN XP Pro and
have not added/deleted any software.

Any ideas cause/fix?

Edw.

Try reinstalling the audio drivers. See if there are updated drivers at
Dell.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that-- but there's still no speaker
sound after powering up from Standby...

Edw.

Here's the fix:

Remove battery and unplug from wall to totally power down the system for
several minutes, then remove/reinstall hard drive. This will "reset" the
computer which solved the problem.

Edw.

Old October 13th 04, 07:47 AM
Henning

Here's the fix:

Remove battery and unplug from wall to totally power down the system for
several minutes, then remove/reinstall hard drive. This will "reset" the
computer which solved the problem.

Is it a "one-time-fix" or do you have to do it everytime you've had
the computer in standby?
Old October 13th 04, 03:54 PM
Special Ed

"Henning" wrote in message

Here's the fix:

Remove battery and unplug from wall to totally power down the system for
several minutes, then remove/reinstall hard drive. This will "reset" the
computer which solved the problem.

Is it a "one-time-fix" or do you have to do it everytime you've had
the computer in standby?

I've been through several standby cycles and it's doing fine (so far!). If
you had to do it each time, it would be a real PIA...

Edw.