Question on dual channel memory on A7N8X Deluxe?

Old November 13th 03, 12:16 AM
kirby

Default Question on dual channel memory on A7N8X Deluxe?

My A7N8X has a Barton 3000+ and 2 sticks of Geil PC3200 and it's
getting some poor Sandra scores. Scoring less than what a sis PC2700
would score. According to Asus they say:
You can simply insert 2 or 3?memory modules on 2 blue memory or all
slots to achieve dual channel mode. On the other hand, you can update
system BIOS to the latest one. With the latest BIOS, you will see the
memory mode on POST. If you?insert over 2?memory modules on 2 blue
slots or all slots, you will see Dual Channel string on POST. If you
insert only one memory module on either one slot, you will see?Single
channel string on POST.?

Where do these strings appear?
I set my Bios timing to "aggressive" instead of optimal and my system
is real stable at 5-3-3-2, but the scores are still low. Any
suggestions of how to improve?

Old November 13th 03, 01:34 AM
callsignviper

"kirby" wrote in message
My A7N8X has a Barton 3000+ and 2 sticks of Geil PC3200 and it's
getting some poor Sandra scores. Scoring less than what a sis PC2700
would score. According to Asus they say:
You can simply insert 2 or 3?memory modules on 2 blue memory or all
slots to achieve dual channel mode. On the other hand, you can update
system BIOS to the latest one. With the latest BIOS, you will see the
memory mode on POST. If you?insert over 2?memory modules on 2 blue
slots or all slots, you will see Dual Channel string on POST. If you
insert only one memory module on either one slot, you will see?Single
channel string on POST.?

Where do these strings appear?
I set my Bios timing to "aggressive" instead of optimal and my system
is real stable at 5-3-3-2, but the scores are still low. Any
suggestions of how to improve?

What do you have your FSB set to in your BIOS?

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old November 13th 03, 12:49 PM
Ben Pope

kirby wrote:
My A7N8X has a Barton 3000+ and 2 sticks of Geil PC3200 and it's
getting some poor Sandra scores. Scoring less than what a sis PC2700
would score

Do you have FSB at 200MHz and RAM at 100%? If not you will be limited in
bandwidth by the FSB.

It depends if you have a 200FSB 3000+ or a 166FSB 3000+ (I think there were
both). Anyway, just try setting FSB to 200, multiplier to 10,10.5 or 11 and
RAM at 100% and see if that helps.

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 02:03 PM
kirby

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 01:34:09 GMT, "callsignviper"
wrote:

"kirby" wrote in message
.. .
My A7N8X has a Barton 3000+ and 2 sticks of Geil PC3200 and it's
getting some poor Sandra scores. Scoring less than what a sis PC2700
would score. According to Asus they say:
You can simply insert 2 or 3?memory modules on 2 blue memory or all
slots to achieve dual channel mode. On the other hand, you can update
system BIOS to the latest one. With the latest BIOS, you will see the
memory mode on POST. If you?insert over 2?memory modules on 2 blue
slots or all slots, you will see Dual Channel string on POST. If you
insert only one memory module on either one slot, you will see?Single
channel string on POST.?

Where do these strings appear?
I set my Bios timing to "aggressive" instead of optimal and my system
is real stable at 5-3-3-2, but the scores are still low. Any
suggestions of how to improve?

What do you have your FSB set to in your BIOS?

Set to 166 X 13.
Old November 13th 03, 02:06 PM
kirby

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:49:08 -0000, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

kirby wrote:
My A7N8X has a Barton 3000+ and 2 sticks of Geil PC3200 and it's
getting some poor Sandra scores. Scoring less than what a sis PC2700
would score

Do you have FSB at 200MHz and RAM at 100%? If not you will be limited in
bandwidth by the FSB.

It depends if you have a 200FSB 3000+ or a 166FSB 3000+ (I think there were
both). Anyway, just try setting FSB to 200, multiplier to 10,10.5 or 11 and
RAM at 100% and see if that helps.

Ben

Your right they do have both and I have a 166 FSB Barton where the
multiplier is supposed to be 13 according to AMD.
Old November 13th 03, 02:19 PM
Ben Pope

wrote:
Do you have FSB at 200MHz and RAM at 100%? If not you will be
limited in bandwidth by the FSB.

It depends if you have a 200FSB 3000+ or a 166FSB 3000+ (I think
there were both). Anyway, just try setting FSB to 200, multiplier
to 10,10.5 or 11 and RAM at 100% and see if that helps.

Ben

Your right they do have both and I have a 166 FSB Barton where the
multiplier is supposed to be 13 according to AMD.

Right... then although memory can be thrown around the system at up to
3.2GBps it can only get the the CPU at 2.7GBps

The nForce2 prefers to have FSB and RAM in synch, but with a default
multiplier of 13, you'll have some difficulty getting the FSB to 200MHz, as
you'd need to bring the multiplier down, but do not have software control of
the 5th bit.

Ben

Old November 14th 03, 06:55 PM
kirby

wrote:
Do you have FSB at 200MHz and RAM at 100%? If not you will be
limited in bandwidth by the FSB.

It depends if you have a 200FSB 3000+ or a 166FSB 3000+ (I think
there were both). Anyway, just try setting FSB to 200, multiplier
to 10,10.5 or 11 and RAM at 100% and see if that helps.

Ben

Your right they do have both and I have a 166 FSB Barton where the
multiplier is supposed to be 13 according to AMD.

Right... then although memory can be thrown around the system at up to
3.2GBps it can only get the the CPU at 2.7GBps

The nForce2 prefers to have FSB and RAM in synch, but with a default
multiplier of 13, you'll have some difficulty getting the FSB to 200MHz, as
you'd need to bring the multiplier down, but do not have software control of
the 5th bit.

Ben

So, I really need the other Barton. The one that runs at 200 X10.5 to
get and memory bandwidth right?
Old November 14th 03, 07:44 PM
Ben Pope

kirby wrote:
So, I really need the other Barton. The one that runs at 200 X10.5 to
get and memory bandwidth right?

No, just change the numbers in the BIOS (FSB and multiplier), but you'll
have to find a way to change the 5th bit... wire-in-the-socket mod looks
reasonable cheap/easy.

Ben

Old November 15th 03, 03:04 PM
Ben Pope

wrote:

kirby wrote:
So, I really need the other Barton. The one that runs at 200 X10.5
to get and memory bandwidth right?

No, just change the numbers in the BIOS (FSB and multiplier), but
you'll have to find a way to change the 5th bit...
wire-in-the-socket mod looks reasonable cheap/easy.

Ben

How do do that mod?

Wes, can you get check this one?

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

In Multiplier selection, select "Unlock - Multi via BIOS up to 12.5x", you
see the two pins you have to connect? Thats what you need to do, I think.
If you put it on socket view, you can just put a small peice of wire in the
socket in the same place and then sit the Athlon in there. Don't get it
wrong though.

Ben