Wireless + Wired LAN?

Old May 12th 07, 11:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Wireless + Wired LAN?

Does anything bad happen if you have both wireless and wired
connections running on the same laptop?

I'm trying to intuit whether something gets confused by having
the common addresses between the two networks, if the respective
routers happen to assign them.

Does Zone Alarm somewhere distinguish them? Say you want the wired
IP addresses trusted but not the wireless ones, and the number
ranges overlap.

Second question, what wireless router should I get? I see a thousand
choices and no way to distinguish them. Some of them have wired
ports, I gather - do these work like a wired router, and the wireless
slots available are essentially unlimited? Or is there some maximum
count on attached computers that I can pick out of the literature
for each?

In both cases, there's no internet connection going to either kind
of router, I'll use them as switches only. I live in dialup country.

--
Ron Hardin

Old May 12th 07, 02:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Sometimes Windows gets confused and you have to disable one of the
interfaces. Other time it works fine. I have not figured out why the
confusion only occurs sometimes.

Old May 12th 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:34:09 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Second question, what wireless router should I get? I see a thousand
choices and no way to distinguish them. Some of them have wired
ports, I gather - do these work like a wired router,

I like and have always used Linksys with good results. My wireless
router does have wired ports too, which I use for my desktop PC and
will use for a laser printer unless I decide to splurge for a wireless
one.
Old May 12th 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

wrote:

Does anything bad happen if you have both wireless and wired
connections running on the same laptop?

I'm trying to intuit whether something gets confused by having
the common addresses between the two networks, if the respective
routers happen to assign them.

I forgot but I read in a network book about 2 or 3 years ago that had
the answer to your question but I don't remember what it said so I'll
take my best guess. I think as long as the two networks aren't active
at the same time I would think no problem but if they are, I'd think
you get a error message to the effect unless you use a bridge between
networks. To be honest tho, I don't have 100% recall what I read so
you better get confirmation on this. While waiting on this, you may
want to do a google search on bridged networks and if applicable, how
to do it.
Old May 12th 07, 03:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alex Harrington

Ron Hardin wrote:
Does anything bad happen if you have both wireless and wired
connections running on the same laptop?

Hi Ron

If both networks are separate, that would be fine - unless they are both
using the same subnet. In that case, there would be two entries in the
laptops routing table for the same subnet, so Windows will load-balance
across the two routes, sending some traffic via the wireless and some
via the LAN. Clearly that won't work if the device you're talking to is
only on one network.

If it's all one big network, ie you have your laptop plugged in to a
wireless router, and also setup on the wifi, then you'll likely
encounter problems because again both interfaces will be on the same
subnet, here at least though it doesn't matter which is used as they
both go to the same place.

Stateful protocols - such as SMB - will be broken by this though because
the device at the other end expects the whole session to come from a
fixed single ip address...

So, in short, unless both networks are separate physically and/or at
least separate subnets then only have one enabled at a time.

Cheers

Alex
Old May 12th 07, 05:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The confusion occurs because it is Windows! ... Ben Myers

Old May 12th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I continue to use and I resell with 100% good results the Linksys routers. The
WRT54G is a bargain at around $50 in many mass market retailers. They are all
pushing the "turbo" and not-really-802.11n routers which offer little more bang
for much higher bucks... Ben Myers

Old May 13th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Well, I used to use Linksys routers, but I have had horrible failure
rates with them. They start out working, but in 3 to 12 months, they
become "flakey" ... they either have to be reset (pull the power plug &
re-insert way too often ... like daily), or they reset themselves for no
reason (they "come back", but you are down for 5 to 30 seconds). I
tolerated this for far too long, going through about a dozen units
(mostly BEFSR81 .... 8-port wired router (with an external Wireless
Access Point) in about 6 years. After I switched to VoIP phone service,
I could not longer tolerate it, and I switched to D-Link. My luck with
D-Link has been MUCH better, the routers go for months at a time without
a single hiccup.

Old May 13th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ork .

With both Wired and Wirless activated I get a warning from Network
Magic..
My network does not work..