BFG Tech 7950 GT OC question

Old February 1st 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Gillis

Default BFG Tech 7950 GT OC question

I am hesitating buying the BFG Tech 7950 GT OC because it looks like a
card geared for more advanced machines and for those who like to over
clock. By installing this card does this mean I'll have to monitor
its heat more so than the PNY Verto 7950GT? I don't want to worry
about overclocking and heat with my computer, so should I look at the
PNY one instead? Or can I install this card without overclocking it?

Thanks for any help,
John

Old February 1st 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Gillis wrote:
I am hesitating buying the BFG Tech 7950 GT OC because it looks like a
card geared for more advanced machines and for those who like to over
clock. By installing this card does this mean I'll have to monitor
its heat more so than the PNY Verto 7950GT? I don't want to worry
about overclocking and heat with my computer, so should I look at the
PNY one instead? Or can I install this card without overclocking it?

Thanks for any help,
John

While the differences in raw speeds are under 50MHz (550MHz stock for a
7950GT core 600MHz for a maximum OC) the differences in heat output can
be significant if by oc'ing you overwhelm the capacity of the HSF. Much
like a sink can overfill with running water if the tap is turned on too
much. However, only in an air circulation restricted case will that be a
real problem.

Generally, in almost all user-built cases, there is ample air flow. It's
the custom OEM cases, built with less in mind, that things get cramped
and subsequently overheated. If you have mulch growing in your case from
neglect that's an entirely different issue, but that does add to the
heat load.

So, short answer: no worries with the differing levels of heat output
from a 7950GT, unless you suspect your case is cramped and has a lot of
dust in it and a fan or two is missing or not working.

As for overclocking, it's automagic, and completely ignorable if you so
choose, you won't miss the added performance in most conditions, only in
specific situations will the added core (or memory speeds) result in a
meaningful FPS boost.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
heycarnut

On Feb 1, 1:10 pm, "John Gillis" wrote:
I am hesitating buying the BFG Tech 7950 GT OC because it looks like a
card geared for more advanced machines and for those who like to over
clock.

Don't worry about heat from this card. It is a good economy card
targeted at mid-range systems, and is not it any way
a ultra-high-end 'furnace', even in the mildly overclocked form
supplied by BFG. Heck, there are even some passively cooled models of
this available, a testament to the modest heat loads generated
compared to high-end cards.

I've put a few of this model into systems built for buddies, and
checking them with various equipment (contact & non-contact thermal
and a fluke infrared imager), within the scope I've what I've played
with (BFG, EVGA, XFX are the three brands I tend to stick with), they
all generate similar heat loads.

PNY makes fine cards, but their warranty is 1-5years, depending on
model and user registration. While a card will be out of date for most
users within that time, it is nice to know a failed one will be
replaced regardless (e.g., BFG lifetime warranty.)
In the case of BFG, I've seen several cases where a card out of
production is replaced with a significantly more powerful, current
model, and with zero hassle, so if the few extra bucks don't bother
you, I'd recommend the BFG.

Hope this helped,

Old February 2nd 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Gillis

Thanks for the information here, it really helps. I just wanted to be
sure that if I got this card I wouldn't have to fuss with over
clocking or worry f my card was over heating. Since it sounds like
this card is ok out of the box and only becomes hot if the user messes
with it, I think I'll be ok using it. This card is the only 7950
available in stores (best buy, compusa, circuit city). I haven't seen
other brands for sale.

Thanks again for the help!
John

Old February 5th 07, 06:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

On 2 Feb 2007 06:16:31 -0800, "John Gillis"
wrote:

Thanks for the information here, it really helps. I just wanted to be
sure that if I got this card I wouldn't have to fuss with over
clocking or worry f my card was over heating. Since it sounds like
this card is ok out of the box and only becomes hot if the user messes
with it, I think I'll be ok using it. This card is the only 7950
available in stores (best buy, compusa, circuit city). I haven't seen
other brands for sale.

Thanks again for the help!
John

Er, why not buy from Newegg on-line ???

And BTW, if you can keep your money in your pocket for the next 4-6
months, you will get a far more powerful card with both Dx10 and Dx9
compatibility thrown in for free. Need that few months for a greater
selection of silicon variants and the (Vista/Dx10) drivers to reach
reasonable maturity.

Timing of purchases is important in computer upgrades if you desire
decent future-proofing at reasonable price/performance levels.
No more so than in the next few months.

John Lewis
Old February 5th 07, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Lewis wrote:

Timing of purchases is important in computer upgrades if you desire
decent future-proofing at reasonable price/performance levels.

No more so than in the next few months.

That's exactly what I said six months ago! And a year ago, and two years
ago and three years ago....

I can't wait for that day, very soon (some say after the next few
months), when we will not have to time our tech purchases to gain
desirable future-proofing at reasonable price-performance levels!

/snark off