Building a new PC. Any comments on these parts?

Old September 26th 09, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
JR Weiss[_3_]

Default Building a new PC. Any comments on these parts?

ShadowTek wrote:

I've considered previous comments and modified the list a bit.

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel
Motherboard
+
Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz LGA 775 65W

Patriot Viper II 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
1066 (PC2 8500)

BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail
$50

I'm not familiar with BFG Tech, but why would you NOT get a name-brand
PSU with 80+ certification?
Old September 26th 09, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
ShadowTek[_5_]

On 2009-09-26, JR Weiss wrote:
ShadowTek wrote:

BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail
$50

I'm not familiar with BFG Tech, but why would you NOT get a name-brand
PSU with 80+ certification?

I read some comments in forums where BFG was referred to being a decent
brand, so I figured it would be ok.

From http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr550wgspsu.aspx
"BFG’s GS series power supplies feature 80% to 85% typical effciency...."

I'm not sure why they aren't technically "certified", unless they're
just yankin *their* numbers outa their butt.

Anyway, I could spend $10 more and get this instead:
GIGABYTE SUPERB GE-P450P-C2 550W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified
Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

How about that?
Old September 26th 09, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Dave C.[_5_]

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:00:38 +0000 (UTC)
"JR Weiss" wrote:

ShadowTek wrote:

I've considered previous comments and modified the list a bit.

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel
Motherboard
+
Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz LGA 775 65W

Patriot Viper II 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
1066 (PC2 8500)

BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail
$50

I'm not familiar with BFG Tech, but why would you NOT get a name-brand
PSU with 80+ certification?

You need to get familiar with BFG Tech. They are a top-tier name brand PSU manufacturer. In fact, the ES-800 is probably the best power supply available, in terms of quality, at any price. Don't know about the GS-550, but suspect it is extremely high quality. -Dave
Old September 26th 09, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Grinder

On 2009-09-24, Grinder wrote:
You're spending a good amount on a crossfire-ready power supply to power
a board that only has one graphics card slot. Hopefully someone will
correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're buying more than
you'll need.

I just picked a safe range. I could probably go a little lower. I just
want to have a reasonable margin of error.

Even if I
pile on a couple of high rpm sata drives, blu-ray, dvd-rw, 4 fans, 2 pci
cards and 4 usb devices, outvision's power supply calculator comes up
with 312W.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

I got 483w when I selected %100 load and %50 capacitor aging, so I guess
I could setting for a 500w PS.

Then maybe I can recommend this:

I know I'm coming off as an Antec fanboi here, but I've had personal
experience with both of these cases and genuinely recommend them.
What's more, I'm a complete bigot on case design: I only like
well-constructed, minimalist design.

I hope you'll come back after your build with some lessons learned.
Old September 26th 09, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Grinder

Old September 26th 09, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
ShadowTek[_5_]

On 2009-09-26, Grinder wrote:
Then maybe I can recommend this:

That's a good deal, but I was really wanting a full ATX, and I was also
hoping for PSU fan larger than 80mm.

I'll have to think about it.

Thanks.
Old September 26th 09, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Fishface[_2_]

ShadowTek wrote:

That's a good deal, but I was really wanting a full ATX, and I was also
hoping for PSU fan larger than 80mm.

You may be interested in this regarding 120 mm PSU fans:
http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/#m6

Old September 26th 09, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
JR Weiss[_3_]

ShadowTek wrote:

I'm not familiar with BFG Tech, but why would you NOT get a
name-brand PSU with 80+ certification?

I read some comments in forums where BFG was referred to being a
decent brand, so I figured it would be ok.

Anyway, I could spend $10 more and get this instead:
GIGABYTE SUPERB GE-P450P-C2 550W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified
Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

How about that?

If you don't want to spend more $$, the PCP&C Silencer 420 should work
fine. I don't know where Gigabyte gets their PSUs, either...
Old September 26th 09, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Stefan Patric[_2_]

On 2009-09-26, Grinder wrote:
Then maybe I can recommend this:

That's a good deal, but I was really wanting a full ATX, and I was also
hoping for PSU fan larger than 80mm.

I'll have to think about it.

Take a look at Rosewill cases.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

I bought one to house my current system I built two years ago. Some models
come with a 120mm fan and room for a couple more with dust filters. Some
models even have a duct to vent the CPU heat directly to the outside.
Very nice.

Stef
Old September 26th 09, 09:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
ShadowTek[_5_]

On 2009-09-26, Fishface wrote:

You may be interested in this regarding 120 mm PSU fans:
http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/#m6

Yeah, that makes sense.