Faulty fans: dust or bearings?

Old October 15th 03, 08:36 PM
kony

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:02:05 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

OK, I've just been to PCWorld today, and it's a pile of sh!te in there.
How about this place, with another Zalman product?

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/cpucool2.php

It's at the bottom of the page, Zalman CNPS6000-cu
I know the fan is non standard. Ever tried it ? *grin*

It's more hype than performance, other coolers can keep the CPU cooler
with same noise level so long as you don't choose a fan with high-RPM.
Even so if you're not overclocking it should work. I've not used one
but have looked them over once or twices, always saw higher temps
reported by their users.

They also do a northbridge cooler
http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php#mb
Will this be too big? Hang on...
The chipset fan at the moment measures 45mm. As I have just measured it, I
can also tell you that my cpu current hs/fan (measuring 60mm) is 20mm away
from the psu, and the mboard is about 10mm away.

That northbridge cooler should fit. You'll just need to be sure
whichever CPU heatsink you choose doesn't extend downward that far.

It does sound like your power supply is a bit too close to use the
previously mentioned Zalman CNPS7000A-CU. Even if you get it in there
you still would have to drape the power supply ATX leads overtop of
it, and it has no easy way to mount a fan guard.

Another site for you to look at is www.dabs.com They have lots to choose
from but not Zalman ones?

Most walk-in stores carry the lower-end heatsinks only. Of course the
best of those are usually sufficient, but again would need a low-RPM
80mm fan to be quiet, and being the "best" they have, might have a
price-premium compared to online purchases... I almost always purchase
these types of items online, but then the US online vendors have such
good sale prices that it easily offsets the shipping cost if buying
more than one or two things.

Anyway, they do have the Thermaltake Silent Boost:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=2RSQ

Please just find me one, preferably in one of these two sites. I have to go
to Paris on very soon, and I'd love to have it done before I go. I've
checked the BIOS update and it will currently support 3000+ when flashed.
However, I don't want to attempt to update it until I have the fan changed!
Please could you have a look at the sites?

Thanks - it's doing my head in!

I'd try the one I linked above, but it seems out of stock at the
moment... you could wait, order it, or a couple other choices:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=2N2F

Maybe the following but I don't think it's as good as the other 2:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=2PD6
Old October 15th 03, 09:15 PM
S.Boardman

"kony" wrote in message
snip!

Anyway, they do have the Thermaltake Silent Boost:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...ingkit/product
View.htm?quicklinx=2RSQ

Please just find me one, preferably in one of these two sites. I have to

go
to Paris on very soon, and I'd love to have it done before I go. I've
checked the BIOS update and it will currently support 3000+ when flashed.
However, I don't want to attempt to update it until I have the fan

changed!
Please could you have a look at the sites?

Thanks - it's doing my head in!

I'd try the one I linked above, but it seems out of stock at the
moment... you could wait, order it, or a couple other choices:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...ingkit/product
View.htm?quicklinx=2N2F

Maybe the following but I don't think it's as good as the other 2:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...ingkit/product
View.htm?quicklinx=2PD6

OK, I'm looking at the http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php northbridge
heatsink and either the Silent Boost K7 or the Volcano 11 Xaser. Both of
these are 80mm and so should fit... I'll have a look around and see if I can
get the Silent Boost, otherwise, I'll go for the Volcano.
About the Northbridge one... (looking at your pic / my mb), the black bits
in the corners are 'pushpins'? How do you get them out? Do you have to take
the motherboard out?
Thanks again.
--
Susan

Old October 15th 03, 09:46 PM
S.Boardman

"S.Boardman" wrote in message

"kony" wrote in message
snip!

[...]

Sorry to reply to myself again, I have found www.overclock.co.uk, and they
stock the Volcano 11, but I'll have to wait for the northbridge h/s. I'll
probably get a XP2800+ Barton chip too.
Another question my chipset fan is 45mm square, but the new heatsink is only
37mm square? Shouldn't they be the same? Also when putting on the thermal
compound, do you fit the chip and h/s together, or put the chip on the m/b
and then put compound and h/s?
Thanks :-)
--
Susan

Old October 15th 03, 09:50 PM
kony

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:25:17 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

Ok forget the Zalman 6000 one above, just checked the diagram and it won't
fit. What about the one above it on the same page? Nexus KCZ-2700LS Nickel
Plated AMD Cooler? It covers up to XP2800+, although I'd be happier if it
did 3000+.
Thanks, as usual.

It has a thin small fan, 60mm x 60mm x 15mm, not a good choice.

None of the coolers on that page are any good, they all have inferior
cooling ability. You're looking for a heatsink that most places would
consider being targeted towards overclockers, then using a lower-RPM
fan on it. This means it needs be very large (as large as will fit
on the board) and uses an 80x80x25mm fan. The larger fan moves far
more air at same noise level, so will run a lot quieter provided it's
on a heatsink adquately sized for an 80mm fan, not something smaller
with an adapter-type mount on top. Your motherboard has enough
space around the socket to fit a conventional near-square ~ 80x80
cooler.

Dave
Old October 15th 03, 09:57 PM
kony

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:15:43 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

OK, I'm looking at the http://www.quietpc.com/uk/vgamb.php northbridge
heatsink and either the Silent Boost K7 or the Volcano 11 Xaser. Both of
these are 80mm and so should fit... I'll have a look around and see if I can
get the Silent Boost, otherwise, I'll go for the Volcano.
About the Northbridge one... (looking at your pic / my mb), the black bits
in the corners are 'pushpins'? How do you get them out? Do you have to take
the motherboard out?
Thanks again.

Yes, they're pushpins. Some pushpins have an inner "button" you can
depress to replease them, but in the picture those look more like the
basic type without a button-release.

You might find them slightly loose, that if you barely, gently,
wiggled as you pulled that they'd come out, but be careful. Otherwise
you'd just take (something) and cut through the pins, like wire
cutters. If you really want to save the pins, you would need to
remove the whole board to access them, assuming the motherboard tray
doesn't have a large opening in back of that region, which most don't.
It may be a lot easier to work on with the system case on it's side.

Dave

Old October 16th 03, 01:27 AM
kony

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:46:58 +0100, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

Sorry to reply to myself again, I have found www.overclock.co.uk, and they
stock the Volcano 11, but I'll have to wait for the northbridge h/s. I'll
probably get a XP2800+ Barton chip too.
Another question my chipset fan is 45mm square, but the new heatsink is only
37mm square? Shouldn't they be the same? Also when putting on the thermal
compound, do you fit the chip and h/s together, or put the chip on the m/b
and then put compound and h/s?
Thanks :-)

The new northbridge 'sink itself can be a different size, larger or
smaller, it'll be centered by the mounting holes and work fine.

I don't understand your alternatives for putting on the thermal
compound... just put a paper-thin layer on the raised center of the
CPU, before putting it in the socket, or afterwards, then install the
heatsink. The heatsink needs no thermal compound appiled to the
bottom of it, the paper-thin layer on the CPU is plenty and even most
of that will slightly squish out over time... in other words, whatever
temp you see after restarting the system, may easily drop a couple
more degrees after (up to a few days).

After first installing the CPU, heatsink, and starting the system, you
ought to go into the BIOS and check the "health monitor" section (or
whatever it's called) to check the CPU temp before proceeding to use
the system. If it's very high, like over 60C, immediately shut off
the system and double-check everything. I expect the actual temp to
be lower, but 60C was a suggestion above the expected temp as a
suggested sign that something may be wrong.

Odds are nothing will go wrong though, just take your time and it's
easy unless the heatsink clip is very stiff, in which case you need be
very careful to apply even pressure and not let the screwdriver slip
out (or finger slip off, whichever is applicable per the chosen
heatsink).

Dave
Old October 16th 03, 10:32 AM
S.Boardman

"kony" wrote in message Odds are nothing will go wrong
though, just take your time and it's
easy unless the heatsink clip is very stiff, in which case you need be
very careful to apply even pressure and not let the screwdriver slip
out (or finger slip off, whichever is applicable per the chosen
heatsink).

fingers crossed :-/

I'm going to order them now. If something goes wrong, I'll post a new thread
(I'm using another machine). It could be a while... hopefully the stuff will
arrive before I go away for a week.
Thanks again for your advice.
[By the way, I read Artic Silver's instructions, and they say you're
supposed to put it on the heatsink as well...]
--
Susan

Old October 16th 03, 10:34 AM
S.Boardman

wrote:

[...]

No going back then once they're off! Don't know if I've got any wirecutters
:-)
--
Susan

Fan differences? Tai Tze Hou \(Alvin\) General 29 October 10th 03 06:23 AM
How to get better airflow? Vin General 11 September 14th 03 04:03 AM
Sleeve bearing fans Adrian General 6 August 2nd 03 01:14 AM
fluid bearings HDD mounting... Alceryes General 3 July 10th 03 11:51 PM