Broken motherboard or CPU?

Old July 27th 06, 08:17 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
JAD

Default Broken motherboard or CPU?

wrote in message
ps.com...
I had to remove the water cooling kit from a Socket939 machine but the
CPU came off with the water cooling CPU block because of the sticky
paste while the lever was still down,

You have damaged the socket.......possibly the CPU, and you tried
twice(heat/mangling) to do that, so the odds are greater you did it in.

it looks like the pins are not
broken or bent and fits in again with the old heatsink on top of it.

Result:
1) Turn on PC
2) No beep
3) CPU fan spinning
4) HD spinning
5) Light in front is on but HD activity light isn't flashing
6) Monitor shows "No signal"
7) Forced to press the ON button for 5 seconds to shut down machine

What could be the problem?
What can I do to check whether it's a CPU or Motherboard problem?

TIA

Old July 27th 06, 09:38 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
sloblocks

Rod Speed presented the following explanation :
kony wrote
Rod Speed wrote
kony wrote
wrote

OK, I got the new motherboard delivered
(same model/manufacturer) and nothing works

Shall I order the a new CPU next?

Would a machine boot up without or faulty memory and notify me in BOIS?

Yes, if the cpu is working you should get a beep code at least.

No, if the memory is barely instable it might make it to the
bios but in general if the memory is bad, or missing, it
won't POST at all or lock up far sooner rather than later.

Wrong, as always.

You might get a beep code for no memory, but neither it, or
others are guaranteed in general. SO the beep can point to
a problem, but lack of beep...

You should still get some form of beep, even if its
only the single no errors beep, if the cpu is fine.

Only if you have working memory. Motherboards used to Beep if you had
no memory - but these days its very much luck of the draw if they do or
don't. All the boards I've tried in recent years were completetly
silent without RAM.

[which I'll grant you is only about half a dozen or so, I'm not in the
habit of testing things to see if they /don't/ work]

YMMV

--
I'd have a fancy signature, but I haven't thought of one yet.

Old July 27th 06, 10:04 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

sloblocks wrote:
[...]

Sure, but like I said, if the cpu is good and there is ram,
you should get a no errors beep when the POST completes.

Old July 29th 06, 01:20 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Logan

remote ****roll wrote:
Margolotta wrote:

Or what - you can't use 'either' and not offer an alternative -
methinks you didn't finish the sentence! ;o)

Noone cares what you think, bitch, because you are that worthless!

Sounds more out of control not remote control