WIll I be OK with an AMD64 3400+?

Old February 23rd 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default WIll I be OK with an AMD64 3400+?

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Emperor's New Widescreen wrote:
"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:39:14 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"
wrote:

Errrm....I think we are playing with voltage rails here (might be
wrong though)
I was under the impression that most CPU cores run at lower
voltages as the frequencies get higher, I would imagine a CPU
clocking at 3MHz on a 12V circuit could double as a central heating
system :O))
I understand the core voltage for an AMD64 is around 1.5 volts.

All you appear too be saying is that the PSU's are badly designed!!

No we're saying you lack a basic understanding of computer
power and are unfit to judge the situation.

Sounds more like you.

If you go on like this without bothering to check your
facts, it will be akin to trollism.

Again that sounds more like you.

LOL, I *was* right! Showing your true colours now huh? It's obvious you
didn't really want advice. You're just a weak person who doesn't have the
courage of his own convictions and came here hoping that at least someone
would tell him he wasn't making a mistake in buying out-dated,

end-of-line,
crappy equipment. When someone who has infinitly more knowledge on the
subject than you ever will tries to advise you where you're going wrong

you
get abusive. Typical "little man" syndrome. You feel threatened when
reminded how little you really know.

This whole thread reads like educators trying to get it through to the
mentally challenged kid how things work. Now the menatlly challenged kid
(that's you BTW in case you're too obtuse to work out the analogy) starts
throwing his books around.

Go away and buy your outdated POS. Stop bothering the grown-ups. Kony says
it like it is and obviously you are incapable of hearing the truth or

taking
constructive criticism on board.

Buh-bye now.

Bun-bye.

It is better to drink from the fountain of knowledge than p*ss in it :O|

--
~misfit~

Old February 23rd 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:01:57 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"
wrote:

Well your obviously chose you name prudently but lets just look at the fact.

yes, let's...

Here is the statement I made
"I doubt many CPU's cores run at 12V and that is where most of the energy is
spent."

Which is partially wrong. CPU cores do run _OFF_ the 12V
PSU rail, because ALL components that use a higher current
or lower supply voltage must make do with what the PSU
provides and work. 12V is in fact where the energy is
spent, because that is what comes OUT of the power supply,
that is the power rail which is later reduced to the CPU
vCore which is a lower voltage. The PSU does not directly
supply CPU voltage and thus, it is correct that 12V is where
most of the energy is going.

And here is your reply
"Actually, in the case of power supplies, you're wrong"

So you are saying that CPU cores run at 12V, well I think you have lost
all credibility there.

You are clueless. I never wrote "CPU runs at 12V". I wrote
that the 12V rail is that which is used to power CPU.

You are extremely ignorant. If you would spend the time
learning, instead of wading in ignorance, you would then
better understand where and why you went wrong.

You then try to back track and say it actually takes a regulated voltage
voltage from the motherboard. I didn't say anything about power supplies
all I mentioned was the CPU's core volotage which is not 12 volts,
discussing power suppplies is irrelevant to the CPU core voltage.

It was no backtrack, it was directly applicable to the
context already made... power usage of the system and your
foolish ramblings about knowing what a 450W PSU is
outputting. YOU started the context about power supply
output, and the false conclusion about why we need 450W (or
whatever applies to a particular system). If you weren't so
lazy, you would have at least done a bit of research as
there are plenty of hardware oriented websites out there
that provide power estimation or even meaurements of system
load under various uses like gaming- none of which use as
much as 450W, even with SLI'd GF7800 or whatever video card
you want, but some DO need a "450W" spec'd PSU because of
their high 12V amperage needs.

Discussing computer power supply design is rather irrelevent

Then don't.
Old February 23rd 06, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:20:09 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"

Oops I deleted your post.
Old February 23rd 06, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:04:19 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"
wrote:

I actually have a degree in electronics a slightly higher qualification than
ten
year experience assembling computers I would imagine.

I did say I couuld design a better PSU for a computer and I believe I am
correct I saying that.

Well THIS should be entertaining.
Go ahead, post a schematic of this great design. Even a
sketch on a piece of notebook paper.

I can't be arsed to do it right now because quite frankly I have better and
less boring things to do.

Does that mean we won't be blessed with your posts anymore?
.... because if you have the time to post, you also have the
time to mention what this great topology change is that you
feel will be "a better PSU for a computer".

Just because PSU's are as they are does not mean they are suitable, it just
means they are cheap (to make). They guy who sells you the PSU doesn't
give a t*ss how much power is wasted in its use, afterall he don't pay for
that *you* do.

So what are you claiming should be changed, which subcircuit
will you do what to, to gain this efficiency? I don't
think you can even provide a basic description of a SMPS
unless you copied it off a webpage somewhere... but go ahead
and surprise us... I repair PSU all the time so if you have
some great idea, I have a few dozen lying around and can
probably implement your idea.

The same goes for other electrical devices such as washing
machines
and fridges, the manufacturer knows they money you save by having a cheap
PSU/motor will soon be lost in the power you waste whilst using it.

I see, you advocate Flintstone technology, putting small
birds to work powering our devices.

HE ain't going to tell you that though becasue he knows most people are
just to plain uninformed to realise that and simply buy the model with the
lowest price tag rather than the one which will cost him less overall.

Actually most refridgerators are required to have an energy
usage tag on them. You aren't old enough to have ever
shopped for a fridge though, so ask your mom about it.

Old February 23rd 06, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

kony wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:01:57 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"
Discussing computer power supply design is rather irrelevent

Then don't.

It's obvious, he *is* a troll Dave. I'm killfiling him.
--
~misfit~

Old February 23rd 06, 08:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

kony wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 02:20:09 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"
wrote:

Oops I deleted your post.

Wow! Two clicks and ten posts of **** from this 'tard vanished for ever. :-)
--
~misfit~

Old February 23rd 06, 02:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Actually most refridgerators are required to have an energy
usage tag on them.

But computer are not, guess which uses the most energy?

Old February 23rd 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:09:03 GMT, "Emperor's New Widescreen"
wrote:

Actually most refridgerators are required to have an energy
usage tag on them.

But computer are not, guess which uses the most energy?

Considering that most PCs are not on 24/7 and now come with
LCD monitors, it's fairly clear the fridge does.

Old February 24th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

wrote:

Actually most refridgerators are required to have an energy
usage tag on them.

But computer are not, guess which uses the most energy?

Considering that most PCs are not on 24/7 and now come with
LCD monitors, it's fairly clear the fridge does.

Well thats just where you are wrong a typical fridge consumes
about 150kW a year, about 40 watts a day, your 450 watt
power supply is capable of supplying 11 times that, and that
excludes your monitor.

Crucial Ballistix PC4000 1GB DRAM does _not_ work on AMD64 Sw Overclocking AMD Processors 8 October 27th 05 06:10 AM
Need help for converting inline assembly to intrinsic functions AMD64 [email protected] Intel 2 March 29th 05 06:04 AM
port 32-bit to AMD64 [email protected] Intel 0 March 18th 05 02:23 PM
AMD64 = IA-32e Black Jack General 45 February 29th 04 12:30 PM
AMD64 = IA-32e Black Jack Intel 45 February 29th 04 12:30 PM