P4P800 deluxe sound card

Old June 22nd 12, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
sAndrO

Default P4P800 deluxe sound card

Il 22/06/2012 15:45, Jean-Noel.Robin ha scritto:

?????

greetings.

Thanks,

my s.o. is italian!

I surrender and shall install a pci card.

By

sAndrO

Old June 23rd 12, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

sAndrO wrote:
Il 22/06/2012 15:45, Jean-Noel.Robin ha scritto:

?????

greetings.

Thanks,

my s.o. is italian!

I surrender and shall install a pci card.

By

sAndrO

I have some good news for you. Sort of.

Yesterday, it occurred to me, that I actually own an AD1985.
My P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard has the AD1985 sound chip. The
computer also has a CMI8738 based sound card. That computer
is semi-retired (I don't use it very much, and the CMOS
battery is flat, so I have to program the BIOS settings
before I can use it).

OK, I have a copy of Windows 7 Release Candidate 1.

7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso

I installed that on the computer. It appeared to have activated
itself, and says "evaluation copy" in the lower right hand corner.

*******

OK, what did it show ?

First, I opened Device Manager, and *both* sound devices had no driver
installed.

Next, I typed "Windows Update" in the program box, and started that up.
And Windows Update failed the first time, and told me the clock needed
to be set. After I synchronized the clock with time.windows.com , I
tried Windows Update again. It must have stalled for two or three minutes
and said "the machine is up to date" and would not offer me any updates.

Well, one of the settings for Windows Update, controls driver installation.
You can tell Windows Update to get a driver, if there is no driver
on the computer. Or use the "best" driver (and automatically update it).

I selected the option to get a driver, if no driver was installed.

Again, Windows Update pretended there were no updates to fetch. So
it looked like I had failed in my mission.

But about 30 seconds later, one of the two unresolved devices in
Device Manager disappeared. And a new entry appeared in the Sound section.
A driver was installed for AD1985. It was the SMWDMICH package.

There was still no driver for the CMI8738 sound card.

I fired up Windows Media Player, and it offered several music selections
on the opening screen. A classical music selection was offered. I clicked
that, and classical music came out of the speakers :-)

The driver version was 5410. And it worked without any screwing around!

So go back, and change the settings on Windows Update, and see what happens...

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3...1forad1985.gif

Paul
Old June 23rd 12, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
sAndrO

Il 23/06/2012 04:16, Paul ha scritto:
sAndrO wrote:
Il 22/06/2012 15:45, Jean-Noel.Robin ha scritto:

?????

greetings.

Thanks,

my s.o. is italian!

I surrender and shall install a pci card.

done

Ciao,

interesting, but, at the end, I have installed a PCI sound card and now
I sleep confortable...

Thanks for the news, may be they will be useful in future.

Many auguri

sAndrO