Can I replace my Nvidia Geforce 2 mx 200 with a new matrox milleniumG550?

Old April 8th 08, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
HDI

Default Can I replace my Nvidia Geforce 2 mx 200 with a new matrox milleniumG550?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

In my P4 I've got a Nvidia Geforce 2 mx 200 AGP card and I want to
replace it with a matrox millenium G550 dual monitor card.

If I'm right the new matrox millennium G550 will fit perfectly in my
agp slot port because they are both universal AGP cards.

Can anyone confirm this before I buy this new card?

Thx
Old April 8th 08, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

HDI wrote:
Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

In my P4 I've got a Nvidia Geforce 2 mx 200 AGP card and I want to
replace it with a matrox millenium G550 dual monitor card.

If I'm right the new matrox millennium G550 will fit perfectly in my
agp slot port because they are both universal AGP cards.

Can anyone confirm this before I buy this new card?

Thx

According to this, the G550 is universal. Notice that some Matrox
models, existed as two different standards. So for some Matrox
products, you have to be much more careful.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Matrox used to have a forum, where issues like this may have
been discussed. But they closed that forum. The G550 is listed
here, as being OK. On the G400, you have to check the part number
for "4A" to be safe. This is an archive of the site - not all
links on an archived page, will work properly.

http://web.archive.org/web/200401140...pic.php?t=4326

Paul
Old April 10th 08, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
HDI

On 9 apr, 00:33, Paul wrote:
HDI wrote:
[...]

http://web.archive.org/web/200401140...matrox.com/mga...

* * Paul

Ok thanks.

I visited the local shop site and the only matrox G550 I found was an
'Matrox Millenium G550 - 32 MB - PCI Low Profile - 2 x
VGA' (manufacturer code: g55mddap32dbf), so no AGP. There are also
PCIe but I haven't got such a slot.

Should I look further for an AGP or does both of them have the same
performance and is the slot the only difference?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought AGP is better than PCI.

A second question. Can I put any PCI card in a pci slot or are there
also differences like AGP.

Old April 10th 08, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_3_]

"HDI" wrote in message
On 9 apr, 00:33, Paul wrote:

[snip]

I visited the local shop site and the only matrox G550 I found was an
'Matrox Millenium G550 - 32 MB - PCI Low Profile - 2 x
VGA' (manufacturer code: g55mddap32dbf), so no AGP. There are also
PCIe but I haven't got such a slot.

Should I look further for an AGP or does both of them have the same
performance and is the slot the only difference?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought AGP is better than PCI.

A second question. Can I put any PCI card in a pci slot or are there
also differences like AGP.

===========

The 'same' card in AGP or PCIe will have the same, or at least very very
close performance.

Not sure quite what you are asking in the second question...
I suspect you might be confusing PCI with PCIe. PCI is the normal slot used
for add-in cards in the PC. There are usually 3-5 PCI slots on a
motherboard. The PCIe is the new graphics card slot - replacement of AGP. A
PCI card will not fit in a PCIe slot. A PCIe card will not fit in a PCI
slot. As a last resort - look on Wikipedia for a short explanation of them
all.

Old April 10th 08, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
HDI

On 10 apr, 15:50, "GT" wrote:
"HDI" wrote in message

On 9 apr, 00:33, Paul wrote:

[snip]

[...]

OK thanks I'll look on Wikipedia.

The 'same' card in AGP or PCIe will have the same, or at least very very
close performance.

The card I found was an 'Matrox Millenium G550 - 32 MB - PCI Low
Profile - 2 x VGA' (manufacturer code: g55mddap32dbf). It's a PCI not
a PCIe.
I haven't got a PCIe slot.

Is the PCI card also the same and has it the also the same
performance?

Old April 10th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

HDI wrote:
On 10 apr, 15:50, "GT" wrote:
"HDI" wrote in message

On 9 apr, 00:33, Paul wrote:

[snip]

[...]

PCI slots have lower performance than AGP. The difference is most apparent in
games (games with a lot of bus traffic). If you are updating a lot of 2D pixmaps
on the screen in real time (like a movie), the PCI bus may also feel the strain
a bit. You could also have other traffic competing for the PCI bus, like say
some PCI IDE card with disk traffic on the bus.

AGP8X = 2132MB/sec. AGP4X = 1066MB/sec. AGP2X = 533MB/sec. AGP1X = 266MB/sec

PCI (ordinary desktop bus) = 133MB/sec

PCI Express x16 (newest video slot standard) = 4000MB/sec on TX and on RX

The Matrox Millenium G550 PCI low profile, when plugged into a desktop PCI
slot, will be limited to the 133MB/sec figure. By using burst transfer,
you might see a practical transfer rate of 110MB/sec or maybe a bit more.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/cr.../g550lppci.php

Note that particular card has a low profile faceplate, so the tab won't
align with a regular computer case PCI screw hole. That particular card
is designed for a smaller computer case. Some low profile cards will come
with two faceplates, a regular height one and a low profile one, so you
can fit the low profile card into any desktop computer. (You install a
faceplate, according to the slot height.)

AGP cards are still available, some with dual heads. For example, this
one has a 1.5V only AGP slot pattern on the edge. You should check your
motherboard documentation, to see what AGP voltages your motherboard
supports. I suspect you have plenty of choices available to you,
since you mentioned P4.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...161-210-05.jpg

This site has some info.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

If you post back the name of the motherboard, I can help suggest what
kind of AGP cards would work. Or you can use the Playtool page and figure
it out.

Paul
Old April 12th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
HDI

On 10 apr, 23:19, Paul wrote:
HDI wrote:
On 10 apr, 15:50, "GT" wrote:
"HDI" wrote in message

On 9 apr, 00:33, Paul wrote:

[snip]

[...]

* * Paul- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

I've got a Compaq Evo D310, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 512 MB
Baseboard: Compaq 0804h.

I need a dual monitor just for administration, not for games.

Old April 13th 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

HDI wrote:
On 10 apr, 23:19, Paul wrote:
HDI wrote:
On 10 apr, 15:50, "GT" wrote:
"HDI" wrote in message
On 9 apr, 00:33, Paul wrote:
[snip]
[...]

According to this page, the chipset is 845G for the D310.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../11348_na.HTML

You can use CPUZ program, to verify the chipset description.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_144.zip (download)

According to the playtool.com web page, 845 is "AGP 1.5V Motherboard".

On page 6 here, there is a picture of the motherboard in the computer.
The brown slot, next to the three PCI slots, is the AGP slot. It will
have a key inserted in the slot, to only allow 1.5V compatible cards to
be added. Either a "universal" card, with two slots cut, would work, or
a card with the 1.5V only (a modern card), would also fit.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...reg_R1002_USEN

From the playtool table "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility"

AGP 3.3V AGP 1.5V Universal AGP Universal 1.5V Universal AGP 3.0
Card Card Card AGP 3.0 Card Card

AGP 1.5V Motherboard Won't fit Works at 1.5V Works at 1.5V Works at 1.5V Works at 1.5V
in slot

Many cards should fit in the brown AGP slot. The card on the left in the following
picture, is a 1.5V only card, and it would match the key in the AGP slot exactly.
The card on the right is "universal" and will also fit and work fine (I use an FX5200 AGP
with a connector like that, and it even works with my old 440BX motherboard).
Only the card in the center of this picture, is inappropriate for the 845G,
and will not physically fit in the brown AGP slot.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcom...ltageslots.jpg

This is an example of a card. A Geforce 6200. It has a "universal" connector
so will fit any AGP slot. It has one DVI connector and one VGA connector.
You did not mention the two monitor types you want to use, whether they
had to be digital or analog.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...127-317-03.jpg

To illustrate a second card, this is an HD 2400 Pro with two DVI-I connectors.
You could connect two Apple 30" Cinema monitors with DVI connectors with this
card.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...103-046-04.jpg

The 2400 Pro is a 1.5V only card, and will fit your brown AGP slot.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...103-046-05.jpg

If you wanted to use two VGA monitors with the 2400 Pro card, you can
purchase a DVI-I to VGA adapter. The two ends of the adapter are pictured
here. The first picture, plugs to the video card side. The second picture,
is where the monitor cable goes for a VGA 15 pin monitor. Two operate two
monitors of the VGA type, you'd buy two of these adapters.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...267-001-03.jpg
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...267-001-06.jpg

More information about DVI connectors, and their capabilities, is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

There are many other AGP cards still around for sale. But be careful
that -

1) The faceplate connector configuration, and adapters (DVI-I to VGA or
whatever else is included), are suitable to drive your two monitors.

2) That the card is modern enough, to have the correct connector on the
card - either a 1.5V only card, or a "universal" connector.

3) For very modern cards, the drivers are not available for all operating
systems. For example, the HD 3850 AGP, the most recent AGP card introduced,
and a powerful gaming card, only comes with a WinXP driver. There is no
driver for Win2K (my operating system). If you are using Win98, then
much more research will be needed, to find a card and driver that will
work.

You can see more AGP cards here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E&Pagesize=100

HTH,
Paul
Old April 14th 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
HDI

On 13 apr, 02:22, Paul wrote:
HDI wrote:
On 10 apr, 23:19, Paul wrote:
HDI wrote:
On 10 apr, 15:50, "GT" wrote:
"HDI" wrote in message
[snip]

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.phphttp://.../cpuz_144.zip* *(download)

According to the playtool.com web page, 845 is "AGP 1.5V Motherboard".

On page 6 here, there is a picture of the motherboard in the computer.
The brown slot, next to the three PCI slots, is the AGP slot. It will
have a key inserted in the slot, to only allow 1.5V compatible cards to
be added. Either a "universal" card, with two slots cut, would work, or
a card with the 1.5V only (a modern card), would also fit.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00658831/c00...

*From the playtool table "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility"

[...]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=201038004....

HTH,
* * * Paul- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Thanks for the explanation.

I tried to run cpuz but on that computer I got an windows error so I
couldn't check the chipset.

I was looking at some dual monitor cards and saw that the power supply
requirements of the card require 350Watt or more and I've got only
220W of output.
Is this too low or am I looking at the wrong ones. (I need a good
quiet one for administration)

Old April 14th 08, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

HDI wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.

I tried to run cpuz but on that computer I got an windows error so I
couldn't check the chipset.

I was looking at some dual monitor cards and saw that the power supply
requirements of the card require 350Watt or more and I've got only
220W of output.
Is this too low or am I looking at the wrong ones. (I need a good
quiet one for administration)

You were running a Geforce2 MX200, and that was drawing some power.
The older cards would tend to draw as much current from +3.3V as
they were allowed (something like 6 amps). So you could count on
them using at least 20 watts.

I don't have power numbers for all the modern cards. Xbitlabs
measures some video cards, and so those numbers are available.

You could use something like an ATI 9250. This one has no fan on
it, and is passively cooled. That tells you the power would be
reasonably low.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...241-075-05.jpg

The thing is, I don't know what type of connectors you are looking for
in a graphics card. That ATI 9250 card has one VGA connector and
one DVI-I. By using a DVI-I to VGA adapter, you would get a second
VGA connector. So the card could drive two VGA monitors.

There is an Nvidia 6200 with a couple VGA connectors on it.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...139-028-03.jpg

This ATI HD 2400 pro has nice connectors on it (two dual link DVI-I)
but since it has a fan for cooling, it might be a few watts more than
the 9250. I cannot find a measured power number for it. It is
listed as "25W" here (and that 25W would be when in 3D mode -
most of the time, the power would be lower than that).

2400PRO512ASB (HD 2400 Pro, Diamond brand, $85)
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...103-046-05.jpg

(Power listed as 25 watts)
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....rd1=526&card2=

Another card (that isn't being made any more), would be a 7600 GS AGP.
But it is listed as 32 watts, on this page.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=526&card2=434

When Xbitlabs did a measurement, they didn't have a 7600 GS, and used
a 7600 GT and turned down the clocks on the card, to emulate a 7600 GS.
The card they used would also be PCI Express, meaning the card would be
missing the Rialto bridge chip on the back side of the card. The
power number they got was 27.4W at full (3D) power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...r-noise_6.html

But it looks like this picture of a 7600 GS AGP, has a Molex power
connector on the end of the card, and that is generally a sign of
higher power usage. Strange.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1993_214060693

There are some older video card power numbers listed here. Selecting
a video card, causes the estimates to appear in the spreadsheet.

http://web.archive.org/web/200404110...c.html?english

I think I'd give the HD 2400 Pro a try, if I needed maximum flexibility
in terms of the connectors on the card. Of course, check to see if it has
drivers for your OS. To run two VGA 15 pin monitors with the HD 2400 Pro,
you'd need to buy two DVI-I to VGA adapter plugs.

Or, you could get the 9250, if you wanted to run a couple VGA connector
equipped monitors. Drivers should be less of a problem, unless you're
trying to run Vista or something.

Paul