Canon Pixma IP4300 bubblejet - explain Auto Power Off

Old October 19th 06, 08:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Canon Pixma IP4300 bubblejet - explain Auto Power Off

I've just received a Canon IP4300 which seems a great printer -
certainly quick/accurate once it gets going, but I'd like to understand
auto-power-off mode.

Ok, so it seems to me it puts the printer into standby mode
automatically after a period of time if printer not used. Fine, but
what are the implications

- Does it affect how often the heads are cleaned? Are they cleaned
only when the machine powered on? Is this a "full" power on, or return
from standby?
- Or are the heads always cleaned after an idle period?
- or on first print if time since last use t seconds
.... etc...
- how much does it affect time-to-print-first-sheet?

I did notice that having left the printer for 24 hours it took ages to
print it's first sheet (it had powered down). Would this be much
different if auto power off disabled?
Would the power consumption differ that much?

Thanks
Nigel.

Old October 20th 06, 02:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bullitt

The auto-off feature activates when the printer hasn't received any
print data for a user-specified period of time. There is also an
auto-on feature, where the USB port is monitored for reception of
print data which would trigger the auto-on circuitry. Both user
settings are under the maintenance tab of the print driver (auto
power button). It's also explained in the Driver Manual for the
product.

For comparison, power consumption of the iP4200 is 23w when printing,
0.8w when in standby (power on), and 0.4w when powered off. Why it
consumes power when off is not explained, so presumably it is
monitoring USB activity whether auto-on is activated or not.
Apparently, the only way to ensure absolutely no power is consumed,
is to unplug the printer, or cut power via a power bar.

The printer, if left powered on, will park the printhead on a
protective pad after a period of inactivity to prevent the ink from
drying out and causing clogs. Once this happens, there is absolutely
no advantage to leaving it powered on, other than boot-up time.

The power-off cycle also parks the printhead in the same fashion.
Note, never cut power to the printer after initiating a power-off
until you've confirmed it has completed the power-off cycle. If you
cut power too early, e.g. pull the plug, or switch off a power bar,
the printhead may not be fully parked, leaving the printhead
exposed.

Printhead cleaning cycles, besides being initiated by the user, can be
initiated by 17 different conditions (note that this is from the
iP4200 service manual, section 2.2). I imagine the iP4300 would be
similar. Suffice it to say they'll happen automatically when they
happen. If you'd like to research this further, get yourself a
service manual for the iP4300.

Hope this answers your questions...

Old October 20th 06, 04:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Bullitt wrote:
happen. If you'd like to research this further, get yourself a
service manual for the iP4300.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the service manual may be an
interesting read, but I'm still not really clear on the
benefit/difference of auto power off other than the 0.4W vs 0.8W
consideration (both pretty low).

Old October 24th 06, 02:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gary Tait

wrote:

I've just received a Canon IP4300 which seems a great printer -
certainly quick/accurate once it gets going, but I'd like to

understand
auto-power-off mode.

Ok, so it seems to me it puts the printer into standby mode
automatically after a period of time if printer not used. Fine, but
what are the implications

- Does it affect how often the heads are cleaned? Are they cleaned
only when the machine powered on? Is this a "full" power on, or return
from standby?

If the machine is in "Standby" (it has no real "off" mode, apart from
disconnecting mains), it wont wake itself to clean. The "standby" APO
sets it in is the same "off" as you can force it into with the power
button on the unit.

- Or are the heads always cleaned after an idle period?
- or on first print if time since last use t seconds
... etc...

I think that is how it works, as it does have a clock.

- how much does it affect time-to-print-first-sheet?

Under a minute for me. I print a sheet every couple days, right now.

I did notice that having left the printer for 24 hours it took ages to
print it's first sheet (it had powered down). Would this be much
different if auto power off disabled?

I don't know.

Would the power consumption differ that much?

No, as said, it has only one soft off mode.

Thanks
Nigel.