Help Please: connecting Abit KV8-Max3

Old April 28th 04, 01:09 PM
Nick Pitfield

Default Help Please: connecting Abit KV8-Max3

Greetings,

I'm trying to wire up my new home-built PC:

- Antec P160 tower case
- Antec TruePower 550W PSU
- Abit KV8-MAX3 mainboard
- AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU/heatsink/fan
- 2x Corsair XMS3200LL Pro 512MB RAM
- Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro graphics card
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card
- 2x WD 36.7GB Raptor SATA HDD (will be mirrored)
- 2x Samsung Spinpoint 120GB SATA HDD (will be mirrored)
- Seagate Barracuda 40GB PATA HDD
- Pioneer DVR-107 DVD/CD writer
- Sony 3.5" floppy drive
- Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 speakers
- Logitech Desktop Cordless MX Bluebooth keyboard+mouse

Now it's gone well so far: I've spent about 6 hours carefully putting
things together, and everything is physically installed, but I have a few
questions on some yet-to-be-made connections:

1) The Antec PSU has a 3-pin fan signal connector (though only the outer
pins - GND and Sensor - are wired). The mobo has 5x 3-pin fan sockets -
CPUFAN1, NBFAN1 and SYSFAN1 are all used, but AUXFAN1 and AUXFAN2 are
empty. Do I connect this fan signal connecter to one of these spare fan
sockets ?

2) The Antec case front panel has 2x temperature sensors on long wires -
the suggestion is to connect one to the mobo and one to a HDD. How do I
connect these ? solder, sellotape, ear wax, bluetack, epoxy glue, thermal
paste ?

3) The Antec case front panel has a number of cables with 2-pin connectors
for HDD LED (HLED), Power LED (PLED), Reset Switch (RST) and Power On (PWR-
ON). According to both the case and mobo manuals these connect on to the
FPIO1 header.
As per the manuals I've connected HLED to pins 1+3, RST to pins 5+7, and
PWR-ON to pins 6+8; and in all three cases I've connected the coloured
cable/pin to the leftmost (positive) connector and the white cable to the
rightmost (negative) connector - is that correct ?

Additionally, the PLED is supposed to be connected to pins 16+20 (pin 18 is
blank), and the 2-pin connector obviously won't stretch across a 3-pin
distance ! What do I do here - do I have to split the connector ?

4) The Antec front panel has a number of cables with single pin connectors
for FireWire/1394. The cables are TPA+ and TPA-, TPB+ and TPB-, VP (power),
and VG (ground). Now the FireWire/1394 mobo header contains 10 pins:
Pins 1+2 (TPA0+ and TPA0-)
Pins 3+4 (GND and GND)
Pins 5+6 (TPB0+ and TPB0-)
Pins 7+8 (+12V and +12V)
Pin 9 (blank)
Pin 10 (GND)
I guess the TPA and TPB cables are obvious, but which pins do I connect the
VP and VG cables to as I seem to have 2x +12V and 3x GND to choose from !
Should I, for example, use VP=7, VG=3 ?

Thanks in anticipation...

--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield )

Abit KV8 Pro Wad AMD x86-64 Processors 3 July 31st 04 05:25 PM
Last/Fastest cB0 stepped 'gray zone' Celerons work natively on Abit ZM6/BM6? pgtr General 15 July 9th 04 07:29 PM
Abit IC7 MAX3 and SATA Rollin 4 Eva General 2 April 4th 04 05:33 PM
Abit IC7-C Max3 Rev2?? Ed Forsythe Overclocking 3 February 20th 04 05:52 PM
RAM for Abit IC7 MAX3 - P4 3,0GHz - 800 FSB Morten Nielsen Overclocking 5 October 8th 03 02:19 PM