Looking for Recommendations for a PC

Old November 16th 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

Default Looking for Recommendations for a PC

Hi, my buddy wants to buy a PC in around the $500 - $600 or so price range.
It'll be used w/ a broadband connection as a VPN client from home to work,
email, Word docs, etc. Which Dell box do you recommend that'll last for a
few years.

Thanks,

Tom

Old November 16th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi, my buddy wants to buy a PC in around the $500 - $600 or so price
range. It'll be used w/ a broadband connection as a VPN client from home
to work, email, Word docs, etc. Which Dell box do you recommend that'll
last for a few years.

Thanks,

Tom

Thinking also a CD burner or DVD burner.

Old November 16th 07, 06:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i would get a optiplex 330, with 2.2 core 2, 19in flat 80gb hd,
cdrw/dvd, 1gb, 3 yr warranty, xphome ,
for the onsale price of around $600.

Old November 16th 07, 08:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I'm awfully happy with my old Inspiron 1200 laptop
driving a 24" display, with PS/2 keyboard and
mouse, so working as a desktop.

Any old laptop would do, though. Vostro 1500's
seem to be the best deal, if you can snare one
at a decent price refurbished. Otherwise the
prices seem to be inflated the last few weeks.
I don't know if that's a permanent effect of the
weak dollar losing against Moore's law or just
Chistmas marketing. October was a better time
to buy

You have to consider the 24" monitor as a side
investment, however, as it costs more than the
laptop at the moment.

It's sort of neat sitting on the desk all dark
and quiet, rather than some tower.

Old November 16th 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

I'm awfully happy with my old Inspiron 1200 laptop
driving a 24" display, with PS/2 keyboard and
mouse, so working as a desktop.

Any old laptop would do, though. Vostro 1500's
seem to be the best deal, if you can snare one
at a decent price refurbished. Otherwise the
prices seem to be inflated the last few weeks.
I don't know if that's a permanent effect of the
weak dollar losing against Moore's law or just
Chistmas marketing. October was a better time
to buy

You have to consider the 24" monitor as a side
investment, however, as it costs more than the
laptop at the moment.

It's sort of neat sitting on the desk all dark
and quiet, rather than some tower.

PS my personal benchmark for a decent price on the V1500
is core 2 duo 1.6 GHz 2 Gb 120 Gb, 128Mb video card, 1390 wireless,
no camera, regular battery, $649 new or $549 refurbished
(windows XP Home in my case). (October price)

Build one as a test and you'll see it's a couple hundred dollars
more these days. Occasionally still refurbished one comes up at $549,
and those seem to be indistinguishable from new.

Note that the default new processor these days is 1.4 GHz not 1.6.

Old November 17th 07, 12:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Jay B" wrote in message
i would get a optiplex 330, with 2.2 core 2, 19in flat 80gb hd, cdrw/dvd,
1gb, 3 yr warranty, xphome ,
for the onsale price of around $600.

Second that opinion.

Old November 19th 07, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Jay B" wrote in message
i would get a optiplex 330, with 2.2 core 2, 19in flat 80gb hd, cdrw/dvd,
1gb, 3 yr warranty, xphome ,
for the onsale price of around $600.

Is this home or small business?

Tom

Old November 19th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Tom" wrote in message

"Jay B" wrote in message
i would get a optiplex 330, with 2.2 core 2, 19in flat 80gb hd, cdrw/dvd,
1gb, 3 yr warranty, xphome ,
for the onsale price of around $600.

Is this home or small business?

Tom

Small business. Optiplex is only offered on the business side of the site.
Those machines still currently use (imo) some more durable Dell hardware
(versus the Vostro/Inspiron desktop).

My only advice would be to get the mini-tower rather than a small form
factor/slimline case if you have a choice. (Parts availability, etc....)

Stew