the fans, the fans!

Old September 2nd 03, 08:48 PM
Andrew Z Carpenter

Default the fans, the fans!

Hi folks,

OK, so I personally like the fans, and I don't
mind the noise. I find it comforting to know
they are whirring away in there moving air
over my components. But the wife wants it
quieter. It's true, when it's just sat there,
not doing much, it doesn't need so much air
movement, compared to when I'm playing some
graphics heavy game, for example.

So, I'd like something to perhaps turn them
down or off when not needed. Is this called
a fanbus? I'm not looking for anything too
fancy, just something which can control the
noise a bit.

As you can see from my basic diagram, several of
my fans have the ability to control their speed,
via the yellow cable, as I understand it.
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/andrewc/files/myfans.jpg

The remaining fans; the power supply fan, the
PCI exhaust fan and the built in fan on the graphics
card (Abit Siluro GF3ti200) do not seem to have a
way to control their speed.

So, is what I need a fanbus? I would want one
that fits in my spare 5&1/4" bay, and to be able
to control whichever fans it's possible to control.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm in the
UK. I don't want anything too fancy, one that just
does the job is fine.

Thanks very much,

Andrew

---
*** Three steps to computer security: ***
1. Patch your system with all updates available from
WindowsUpdate: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
2. Install or enable a firewall. One's included with
Windows XP, or better, get ZoneAlarm Basic Free from
http://www.zonelabs.com
3. Update your antivirus software and do a complete scan
of your computer. If you do not have antivirus software,
AVG 6 is available free from http://www.grisoft.com

Old September 2nd 03, 08:55 PM
Joseph

sounds like you'll need a fan controller. There are several nice fan
controllers you can get. My personal favorate is AeroGate II by
coolermaster. There are tons of cheap fan bus. Only thing you should make
sure how much watt each channel gives. Depending on how much power your fan
takes you will need to pick out the appropriate fan controller. For example
i have two Thermaltake Case Fan 2 installed on one channel because it
supports upto 18W. try www.svc.com. They have nice controllers for very
cheap.

"Andrew Z Carpenter" wrote in
message ...

Old September 2nd 03, 09:05 PM
Strontium

http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=142
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm-mfc1.htm

-
Andrew Z Carpenter stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

[...]

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 2nd 03, 09:21 PM
Zamboni

"Andrew Z Carpenter" wrote in
message ...
Hi folks,

OK, so I personally like the fans, and I don't
mind the noise. I find it comforting to know
they are whirring away in there moving air
over my components. But the wife wants it
quieter. It's true, when it's just sat there,
not doing much, it doesn't need so much air
movement, compared to when I'm playing some
graphics heavy game, for example.

So, I'd like something to perhaps turn them
down or off when not needed. Is this called
a fanbus? I'm not looking for anything too
fancy, just something which can control the
noise a bit.

A fanbus collects all the wires into one place. A rheobus can slow the fans
down, using either a rheostat or a three-way switch (slow/fast/off). The
most common way is to drop the voltage from 12v to 7v, which slows down the
fan motors. You can use a fan controller to add more bling or even a simple
wire mode like this: http://www.directron.com/12to7.html
--
Zamboni

Old September 2nd 03, 10:11 PM
Joseph

Another thing you can use is sound dampening for the fans. Again www.svc.com
has them. You can read about them here.

http://www.systemcooling.com/modules...ticle&sid=1128

it works very well

Old September 2nd 03, 11:42 PM
adrian

www.overclock.co.uk

sell fans silencers and fan controllers.

you can also get vantec stealth case fans from there.

Old September 3rd 03, 05:44 AM
Richard Dower

[...]

All you need are the kinda stuff i have, seven Vantec Stealth fans connected
to a Digital Doc 5+.

It controls all the fans, has thermal monitoring and a host of other
features, the Vantec fans are 2050 RPM and very quiet.

www.overclockers.co.uk

Old September 3rd 03, 08:00 PM
Andrew Z Carpenter

"adrian" wrote in message

www.overclock.co.uk

sell fans silencers and fan controllers.

you can also get vantec stealth case fans from there.

Adrian and all,

Thanks for the links and info. I've bought from overclock.co.uk
before and would be happy to shop there again.

However, looking at the Fan Controllers, they all seem to say
they can't be used on thermal controlled adjustable speed fans.

My rear case fan is one such fan.

I guess nothing can be done about that apart from replace it?

Thanks,

Andrew

---

Old September 3rd 03, 08:23 PM
Andrew Z Carpenter

Is this thinking right?

An 80mm fan has mounting holes 70mm apart.
So, a 90mm fan would have mounting holes 80mm apart.

If correct, then I can replace an 80mm fan with a
quiter 90mm fan.

Waiting in antici...

....pation.

Andrew

---

Old September 4th 03, 04:00 AM
Mike ''Thrasher'' Kitchenman

no, an 80mm fan has mounting holes slightly shy of 80mm apart.

its measured horiontally not diagonally.

"Andrew Z Carpenter" wrote in
message ...
Is this thinking right?

An 80mm fan has mounting holes 70mm apart.
So, a 90mm fan would have mounting holes 80mm apart.

If correct, then I can replace an 80mm fan with a
quiter 90mm fan.

Waiting in antici...

...pation.

Andrew

---
*** Three steps to computer security: ***
1. Patch your system with all updates available from
WindowsUpdate: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
2. Install or enable a firewall. One's included with
Windows XP, or better, get ZoneAlarm Basic Free from
http://www.zonelabs.com
3. Update your antivirus software and do a complete scan
of your computer. If you do not have antivirus software,
AVG 6 is available free from http://www.grisoft.com

intel board, fans on during standby. intel d875PBZ. JohnJ General 0 January 13th 04 05:14 PM
Sleeve bearing fans Adrian General 6 August 2nd 03 01:14 AM
Sleeve bearing fans Adrian Homebuilt PC's 6 August 2nd 03 01:14 AM
Antec power supply fans don't work Lance Uppercut Homebuilt PC's 7 July 11th 03 03:21 AM